It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Noisy Neighbors

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 5 2019 @ 09:46 AM
link   
Had new upstairs neighbors for about 2 weeks now. They are loud! I have been woken up countless times in the early AM hours to random noise and pounding.

After the 2-4am wake up, they're still shuffling around in there at 6am and later. It's going on 8 now and they're still at it.

The fascinating part is that they don't stop even in the middle of the afternoon. I come home in the evening and have to listen to their crap going on too.

They don't seem to sleep or work. Every minute I'm in my apartment I deal with their noise.

I am pretty patient and forgiving for most of it, but it's the AM wake-ups that are the worst because that's when they're the loudest. I swear they're hammering the floor just to see how tolerant I am.

I have left them a note reminding them they have neighbors and loud noise in the AM hours is inappropriate. They got even louder after that.

So how do I deal with this? I tried to win them over with a kind note. I doubt the landlord is going to be very sympathetic as long as they pay their rent and don't cause damage.

I don't want to be the guy to call the police for noise, but what the hell? Maybe they're hacking up body parts up there or something. Who makes that kind of noise at 3AM?

I adore my apartment and don't really want to move out. That last neighbor I had up there never made a peep for 3 years except on weekends and it wasn't that bad.

Seriously need them to knock this crap off or move out. What can I do?

edit on 5-3-2019 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2019 @ 09:59 AM
link   
You'd think those next door would be bitching as well.

Does your lease cover noise?
At our place loud noises aren't allowed from like midnight to 7AM...or something similar.

The folks behind us were playing techno music at 3AM....the manager seems to have put a stop to it....so far!!

Good luck!!!!!

posted on Mar, 5 2019 @ 10:01 AM
link   
Go meet a scary bouncer outside a club, pay him well.
Get him to knock on their door at 3am when they're at their loudest.

Make sure he tells them there will be hell to pay if they don't knock it off.

posted on Mar, 5 2019 @ 10:12 AM
link   
I would just play some music or something I enjoy at a level just loud enough to cover the noise the neighbours make without it effecting other people

In my room in summer I have a fan on and it drowns out all the noise of the street, it’s not obtrusive

posted on Mar, 5 2019 @ 10:12 AM
link   

posted on Mar, 5 2019 @ 10:16 AM
link   
a reply to: NarcolepticBuddha

You need to politely confront them first. Just to taste the waters. Reason with them smartly. If you lucky they will be cool about it and they will understand the issue.

If they don't, then grab a can of Zippo Lighter liquid and set their door on fire. Don't get caught.

posted on Mar, 5 2019 @ 10:19 AM
link   

I'd suggest you either lodge a noise complaint with their landlord or go to your local council and lodge one with them , don't know about the US but the UK has noise abatement laws designed to help.

If they have a neighbor above them speak to that neighbor , if the noise is bothering them too that gives you backup for your complaint or you could both visit your noisy neighbor to let them know there is a problem.

Noisy neighbors are a pain in the ass but there should be either something in their tenancy agreement or local statute that will give you a way to stop it.

Good luck.

posted on Mar, 5 2019 @ 10:23 AM
link   

One thing stood out to me. Noise at all hours....

Sounds like cats... noisy cats.

Maybe they should get some kitten mittons.

posted on Mar, 5 2019 @ 10:26 AM
link   

Most of our neighbors work nights and sleep days so I try to keep the noise down during the daytime until they're all awake. We've lived here for almost 5 years so we all have each other's schedules down pretty good. Everybody tries to keep the loud noises reserved for when we're all awake- but on the weekends all bets are off because pretty much everyone is our building is off on weekends. Nobody gets uptight if one of us gets a little noisy outside of our usual times because it doesn't happen very often (like early this morning when my dog started going off for no reason). We're fortunate that our neighbors are pretty respectful!

posted on Mar, 5 2019 @ 10:37 AM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

This isn't cats. This is crackheads.

This is actual stomping around and cabinets and doors banging 24/7

posted on Mar, 5 2019 @ 10:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: NarcolepticBuddha

Could be really large overfed cats that have too much access to catnip.

I'm just exploring all the possibilities here.

posted on Mar, 5 2019 @ 10:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: CriticalStinker

originally posted by: NarcolepticBuddha

Could be really large overfed cats that have too much access to catnip.

I'm just exploring all the possibilities here.

I hope you're right. Pets aren't allowed here.

posted on Mar, 5 2019 @ 10:56 AM
link   
I have lived with a similar situation for a number of years. Tried to move in January, but it fell through so am still experiencing it. Old building, no sound insulation, hard floors- upstairs neighbor wears heavy boots, wooden clogs, and heels that sound like hammering on the wood floors above me.

I also get to enjoy "Tinder Exorcisms" sometimes with 3 different partners a day- seriously, I hear screaming and moaning both male/female beginning as early as 4am going until midnight with only short breaks to stomp around in the boots. I've heard whipping/spanking and combined yelps of pain and pleasure for hours!

My solution, since I haven't been able to achieve a move has been headphones and earplugs coupled with white noise. It isn't perfect but it has been the only thing that helps. Some people just don't get that their noise affects others, or, they just don't care. My experience has been that notes don't work, face-to-face MIGHT work, but if the noise is as bad as you say, it will probably only be temporary. Never retaliate, it just makes it WORSE!

Save your money and move. A sympathetic landlord might be willing to do some soundproofing or have a talk with the new people, but they are somewhat rare, I think.

Good luck!
edit on 352019 by seattlerat because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2019 @ 11:05 AM
link   
a reply to: seattlerat

We can have some fun with your problem seattlerat.

We just need to get you a decent sound system.

When the "Tinder Exorcisms" are happening, may I suggest playing loud tracks of babies crying?

That suggestion is more of a spitball intended on getting more creative members to come up with some ideas that could really kill the mood.

posted on Mar, 5 2019 @ 11:14 AM
link   
a reply to: seattlerat

I have to disagree with your advise. It sound very Jesus - like, turn your other half type of thing. The OP's neighbors are new in the building, not the OP.

The OP should not change anything in his life. If a face to face fails there is a must to step up and stand his ground. He needs to be the bully before those upstairs will grow on his head...

posted on Mar, 5 2019 @ 11:19 AM
link   
a reply to: szino9

Agreed ^

Pounding at 3AM ain't gonna work for me. I am not going to use ear plugs and run a fan at night. That alarm clock wakes me up so I can hold a job.

In the daytime on my days off I'm usually gaming with headphones or something anyways.

posted on Mar, 5 2019 @ 11:22 AM
link   

After 10pm in Holland it is illegal to make loud sounds. I can call the police and when they come they will tell the neighbour to be quiet. On their 3rd visit the police can escalate the situation by removing sound equipment, etc.

Your other recourse is of course your landlord but they often don't want to know. (YMMV. It's mainly large corporations that rent houses here in Holland.)

You can try the direct approach. When it gets bad, go and knock on their do and let them know, politely. It will also give you a chance to see their reactions.

The other option is to move. I know.

posted on Mar, 5 2019 @ 11:25 AM
link   
a reply to: LightSpeedDriver

Remove sound equipment? What if it's not actual sound equipment but just some 350lbs dude doing The Hustle in the wee hours?

edit on 5-3-2019 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2019 @ 11:39 AM
link   

Was purely an example. They will tell the person to be quiet if no equipment is involved. You have a right to peace and quiet. At least, here in Holland. I had neighbours from hell for almost 5 years. Elderly anti-social alcoholics who were going deaf and didn't like wearing their hearing aids.

I did all the steps I mentioned, police, landlord, etc. It didn't help. I was happy to move but almost became homeless at the same time due to circumstances. Hopefully you can get a resolution to your problem without having to move.

edit on 5/3/19 by LightSpeedDriver because: Typo

posted on Mar, 5 2019 @ 11:48 AM
link   
Sounds like the crows when they move into a tree in our yard to make a nest. But they do not tear up our garbage if they build a nest in our yard, in fact, they seem to protect our garbage bags from other crows.

So, maybe if your new neighbors are thieves, they won't rob your house.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join