It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How did people from your high school turn out?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 5 2019 @ 10:38 AM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

The ones that were the wildest are all uber right wing religious zealots now, while the ones who were the exceedingly "good" kids are mostly drug addicts and alcoholics with kids by multiple partners. Most of the hippie potheads are still hippie potheads but are also the most well adjusted and stable of the lot. The "popular" kids are still stuck in the high school clique mentality and still look down on people who weren't as "cool" as them back in the day- but there is actually nothing "cool" about them now. Most of them never left the town they've lived in their whole lives and are delusional about the outside world. I stay in touch with several of them via social media but go to see very few of them when I go down home to visit.

posted on Mar, 5 2019 @ 10:42 AM
link   
my good friends from high school are all pretty successful, but have boring careers, imo. I haven't been as successful (monetarily) but i'm the only one who owned my own business.

they all look pretty much the same. two are a bit heavier.

every single one of my good friends still live in the burbs of atlanta.. ugh. (graduated 83)

I've moved a few times and now live in Colorado.

posted on Mar, 5 2019 @ 11:04 AM
link   
I've only kept in contact with one buddy from HS. He's been in prison since 1984 for murder and will be released soon.
I don't want to reveal any personal details about the crime or my buddy, but I will say that it was a shocking incident and a very sad situation for everyone. There is a good chance that an un-diagnosed medical condition was at the root of everything, and instead of getting treatment he got prison. Recently the condition was discovered and has been resolved, but the life of an innocent person was taken forever and my buddy's life has been hell for 45 years.

Would you remain friends with someone who committed an evil act?

posted on Mar, 5 2019 @ 11:52 AM
link   

Sadly, most of the people I considered good friends have passed away. Several of them died very young and I do seriously miss them. One of my besties is an RN, and another is a producer of musicals in Chicago the last I heard, but I don't keep in touch.

Of course, I haven't gone to a single reunion either, so it's no surprise I don't know much about their lives now.

To be honest, my time in school was not fun and I really don't want anything to do with the majority of my old classmates.

posted on Mar, 5 2019 @ 12:03 PM
link   
There were over 600 of us, so I suppose how everyone turned out runs the gambit from fame to burn out. There is a solid core group of us who all get together once a year, and from that smaller groups and we gather routinely even almost 30 years later.

posted on Mar, 5 2019 @ 12:05 PM
link   
people turned out, pretty much as IQ predicted

it wasn't race or gender, it was IQ

posted on Mar, 5 2019 @ 12:08 PM
link   

WOW you really nailed that dude. TBH all those from my school fit right in with your perceptive of fellow classmates.

When I was in school I was that "stoner" RHCP kid that cheated my way through. All my friends did the same.
One dude in my class really stood out from everyone though. He was really smart and very subtle. He was a prime human suspect and good at everything like books and field. Then out of nowhere became a serial killer.

Fecking crazy man. So now I don't attend reunion or any after party.

posted on Mar, 5 2019 @ 12:31 PM
link   
I was homeschooled in HS, but I still kept in touch with everyone from grade 5 & up. Kind of hard not to when they're all your neighbors.

Contact is much, much less now, but grapevine gossip & FB links still filter my way now and then.

For the most part, it's an even split between divorcees and general total trainwrecks. There's some admirable ones who haven't become a statistic in some form or another, but the rest? Multiple marriages, multiple baby daddies, junkies, etc.

I find it highly amusing that one of my friends, who was the poorest kid in school every year that everybody shunned & mocked, grew up to be a total jaw-dropping supermodel bombshell-type babe (and isn't plastic) & makes money hand over fist at her job (something to do with the stock market, not exactly sure what she does specifically)

Yep, that former "homely" poor girl is by far & wide aging the most gracefully. Also, the wealthiest by a wide margin. Bet the former pretty & popular girls are sucking lemons over that one.

< snickers >

Sorry, not sorry. It gives me a great deal of pleasure to see how the life odds swung in her favor, whereas the popular girls grew up, their looks went down the toilet, & are broke themselves now.
Karma, bitches, karma.

The consistent class clown since elementary kind of surprised me, I never figured him for the serious attorney type. I guess he's damn good at it, too

posted on Mar, 5 2019 @ 12:51 PM
link   
I graduated in 2003 from a private Catholic school with a class of 1000 kids. During High school i had a lot of friends get into coke and meth. I never got into that # cause I wasn't an idiot. I smoked weed when we weren't getting drug tested though. Some of them went through rehab in high school. All of them are clean now though. They got their partying done in high school i guess.
These are the guys that are all married fat bald and have kids now. They have their 9-5 office jobs in suburbia and are happy and successful and starting families now. Typical dudes, good dudes, who just like to work and drink beer and watch sports i guess.

I went to one of the sports schools you see in documentaries about parents slave driving their kids to be the next best white NBA star. hahah If you know what documentary im talking about thats the exact school actually. Some of the athletes i knew became big quarter backs in the NFL or played for teams in the NBA like the Lakers too. These kids were recruited from ghettos usually and paid to go to my high school because they were 7 foot 3 or something...
My public school friends are doing pretty good too. They were more of surfers/skaters/stoners. One friend picked up a camera in high school and filmed all the parties we went to and snowboarding and skateboarding and what not back in the day. Never went to college. He now gets flown around the world filming famous bands and commercials and what not. One of them is a day trader. Two of my best friends died around 7 years ago unfortunately. Unusual deaths really, nothing drug related.
The girls are doing good for themselves as well. A lot of them stayed gorgeous and are starting or started families a long time ago. The girls all seemed to mature quicker than my guy friends. A lot of the girls i thought were unattractive in high school turned out to be really good looking and vice versa. Some of the girls actually went the Hollywood route and had decent success early on.

Other than the random kids who went to jail for things like embezzlement , i would say I'm actually pleasantly surprised the way everyone turned out. Especially for how hard we all partied in high school.

As for the OP. Jesus christ it's like everyone in your high school turned out exactly the way Mom said it would. The ugly are beautiful and the beautiful ugly, the popular are poor and the poor are popular and rich.

posted on Mar, 5 2019 @ 12:58 PM
link   
Hard to tell with 640 in the graduating class. Went to my 50th reunion with about 200 people. Over 60 (10%) are known dead. That leaves about 400 to account for. Most everyone at the reunion was solid middle class and retired. Many of us have grand children who are now in high school. Our high school has been entirely rebuilt. The lunch room is the same. One classroom wing is the same. The gym and pool are still there. Everything else is gone.

One interesting stat: When we were in high school less than 10% of students were "in poverty" (including me) who would have qualified for the free or reduced school lunch program. Today it's over 50% and half the students come from outside the school boundaries (because it's still a good school). The surrounding neighborhoods have way fewer kids than they used to.

posted on Mar, 5 2019 @ 12:58 PM
link   
Oh, I completely forgot about the one "quiet librarian" girl. Not part of the popular crowd, but certainly not unpopular, either. Everybody liked her, she was super-duper nice to everybody.

She turned up on the news one night about a decade ago. Turns out, she really liked being "nice" a whole lot.

She was rounded up in a prostitution sweep. I still can't figure out if I should feel bad for her, or just be amused like I want to be. The school's Nice Girl grew up to be nice to anybody who'd pay, wink wink, nudge nudge.
edit on 3/5/2019 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2019 @ 02:14 PM
link   
That’s why I’ve stayed away from Facebook and high school reunions.

The judgement and comparisons,not to mention the gossip, is still so ‘high school cliquish’.

Who gives a flying flap who lost their looks, got bald or gained weight. It says more about the person taking glee in such things than the person who has changed since high school.

Just my two cents.

ETA: I think ‘judging’ people on what they do for a living is also rather trite. It takes all kinds to make this world operate and function. In my opinion the factory workers, garbage pick up workers and the blue collar workers are the salt of the earth. I have little respect for the millionaires who’ve had their success selling makeup.
edit on 5-3-2019 by Sheye because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2019 @ 02:21 PM
link   
I honestly don't know. My mom has more interest in my old classmates from high school than I do.

There are an isolated few I have interest in, and I'm linked up with some on facebook, but since I never look at my facebook page, that doesn't do me much good. So far as I know, most are doing fine.

College pals are a bit different. One is the head of IT for a major university. One is a flagship surgeon for a veterinary practice down in New Zealand. One is a professor at the University of Michigan. Another is living a quiet life in a small town in western Kansas. We were all pretty much geeks in college.

posted on Mar, 5 2019 @ 02:49 PM
link   
No idea

I'm a loner.

posted on Mar, 5 2019 @ 02:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Lysergic

At least I try to be.

Every time I think I'm alone

Someone calls on me.

One of my friends took over his family's businesses now he's super busy.

As for random ppl from hs?

They use to try to add me on faceborg.

But I deleted that pos.

posted on Mar, 5 2019 @ 03:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Lysergic

I'm your frand tho right lys?

Anyways I didn't go to hike skool.

edit on 5-3-2019 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2019 @ 04:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sheye
That’s why I’ve stayed away from Facebook and high school reunions.

The judgement and comparisons,not to mention the gossip, is still so ‘high school cliquish’.

Who gives a flying flap who lost their looks, got bald or gained weight. It says more about the person taking glee in such things than the person who has changed since high school.

Just my two cents.

ETA: I think ‘judging’ people on what they do for a living is also rather trite. It takes all kinds to make this world operate and function. In my opinion the factory workers, garbage pick up workers and the blue collar workers are the salt of the earth. I have little respect for the millionaires who’ve had their success selling makeup.

I find the human condition interesting. I find different parts of people's lives very interesting especially as I get older.
High school was not a good time for me. I think high school is even harder now. I wish we could give some of these insights to kids these days. Don't take things so seriously, looks are fleeting and will change. You took all the negatives of the OP. There are lot of positives.
The kids that were bullied, found success and grew into themselves. The bullies spiteful ways eventually caught up with them. Life is funny like that.

As far as judging people, as much as we all say we don't do it, we all do it. You judged people that judged people and people that sell makeup!
Btw I just love my garbage man and give him the biggest tip of all people that I tip. He puts up with crap all day and never complains, can't ask for more than that.

posted on Mar, 5 2019 @ 04:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Fat and bald.

The guys aren't much better off either.

That's how their babies are supposed to look.

posted on Mar, 5 2019 @ 05:17 PM
link   
In a word Boring they are damn boring. Half of them have never been more than 500 miles from home. They are nurses and salesmen, treadsmen, teachers, and drug addicts. But mostly just boring. My wife and I attended our ten year reunion in 86 and made a pact to never go back.

posted on Mar, 5 2019 @ 05:48 PM
link   
No clue how most of the peeps I graduated with are doing. What few close friends I had were either older than me or died within a few years of graduation. (Not even kidding... one friend was killed in a DUI a month after graduation, another very good friend was killed when a cotton harvester he was working on fell on him a year after graduation and only a few weeks after he'd gotten married to his longtime girlfriend, and a third friend offed himself a few months after graduation with a shotgun outside his ex girl's house when he found out she was already dating a new guy.) I keep somewhat in contact with one lone friend who I graduated with and the rest *shrugs* no clue. I know from my parents that a goodly number of them weren't able to escape the hometown trap and ended up settling there. I'm 4,000 miles away in Alaska and have zero interest in reunions or the like.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join