It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Feds let "illegals" pile up in state prisons

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 06:07 AM
link   
Arizona taxpayers are paying more than $28,000 a day to incarcerate hundreds of illegal immigrants because the federal government hasn't filed the paperwork to deport them to Mexico, state prison officials say.
Arizona Department of Corrections Director Dora Schriro said deporting such criminals should be a "no-brainer" given the money that could be saved and the beds that could be freed in the state's overcrowded prison system.

Formal deportation orders for 46 of the 526 eligible inmates have been on file for several months, but state prison officials can't get Immigration and Customs Enforcement to pick them up, Schriro said.

"I don't know why it's not getting done anymore, but it's not getting done," she said.

At the same time, ICE officials held a news conference Wednesday to tout a record number of deportations in January - 766 - from a federal prison in Eloy, further angering state officials who say taxpayers are unfairly getting the bill for the criminals that remain in state custody.

ICE officials said they knew of no such problem.

The drain on the state's prison system prompted Gov. Janet Napolitano to send an invoice to U.S. Attorney General Alberto Gonzalez, requesting compensation for more than $118 million over the past 18 months. Napolitano demanded that the federal government pay up or take custody of the thousands of criminal illegal immigrants housed in Arizona prisons.

Each inmate costs the state $53.44 per day to house. The state recoups $17.12 of that through the federal government's State Criminal Alien Assistance Program, or SCAAP.

At the ICE news conference, Phillip Crawford, Phoenix director of detention and removal operations for ICE, said the record-setting number shows the agency's "continued commitment to removing criminal aliens from the United States." The deportations include illegal immigrants convicted of crimes ranging from sexual assault to drug trafficking.

He wouldn't comment on the inmates still in state custody.

Russ Knocke, an ICE spokesman in Washington, D.C., said immigration officials would have to review the cases individually to see if there is a delay in processing criminal immigrants for deportation.

He said ICE officials in Arizona have not received complaints or questions from state prison officials and have a system in place that rapidly and efficiently deports immigrants as they finish their sentences.

"If they have any instance where they have an alien who is eligible for removal and not being removed, I would encourage them to communicate with us," Knocke said.

Cam Hunter, a state prisons spokeswoman, said ICE officials were notified about a month ago about 400 inmates eligible for deportation but have not yet responded. The other, more than 100 inmates have been identified within the last month, she said. By the end of the year, the state expects to have 590 additional inmates who could be deported to Mexico, where ICE drops them at the Nogales border crossing."

www.tucsoncitizen.com...

Why can't the states 'deport" these people? Why can only the feds drop these crimminals off in mexico. Too much federal control is complicating a simple issue.

I still think robotic 50 cal machine guns along the border would be effective.

Bush has been trying to fix this issue since 2001 but the congress won't let him. Who has the agenda here?

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 06:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by DrHoracid

I hope this is an attempt at humour? No one deserves to die to try and sneak into the country...sheesh! Talk about extreme...

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 06:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by John Nada

I hope this is an attempt at humour? No one deserves to die to try and sneak into the country...sheesh! Talk about extreme...

The only way someone can die from 50 cals on the border is if they try to sneak in illegally. No seems to get the illegal issue. I don't want to kill anyone, but, if you don't want to get shot don't cross the border illegally.

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 06:58 AM
link   

I don't want to kill anyone, but, if you don't want to get shot don't cross the border illegally.

Righteo!

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 07:51 AM
link   

I don't want to kill anyone, but, if you don't want to get shot don't cross the border illegally.

Righteo!

So by your "humurous" response, you are saying there should be no control of illegals? Military sites and other "secure" areas have signs posted indicating the possible use of deadly force. Are they all NAZI's. Why not our borders?. If someone was breaking into YOUR home what force would you use to protect yourself and family?

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 08:17 AM
link   
You know, I wasn't even going to bother replying after my last post but what the hell, I'm in work and bored...

you are saying there should be no control of illegals?

No.

If your idea of control is to pump thousands of robotic 50 cal machine gun rounds into people trying to better their situation, many of whom have done nothing wrong to deserve such a punishment, then I truly just have to shake my head in amazement. I mean let's get this straight, they are only being detained because they entered the states illegally right?

If someone was breaking into YOUR home what force would you use to protect yourself and family?

That is the worst analogy ever. The people coming over the border pose absolutely no threat to myself or my family.

A better analogy would be a me deciding to exterminate every ant in the grass in my garden because they were "on my property".

Not my style.

[edit on 1-3-2005 by John Nada]

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 08:47 AM
link   

A better analogy would be a me deciding to exterminate every ant in the grass in my garden because they were "on my property".

Not my style.

So illegals are "ants" to you. The land along the borders are owned by someone. In most cases they are not allowed to defend their own land again such invaders. It is the reponsibility of the Fed to protect borders. If a land owner shoots an illegal "they" get in trouble. Thats just wrong.

Again, if the 50 cals were in place it would be pretty 'stupid" for someone to try to cross.

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 08:54 AM
link   

So illegals are "ants" to you.

bwahahaha! That's right.

/out

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 09:20 AM
link   

So illegals are "ants" to you.

bwahahaha! That's right.

/out

More seriously what about a 30-40 foot concrete wall ? It has worked for Israel. We could uses some of that wasted money we send as international 'aid". We could get the illegals themselves to build it as "labor" instead of prison time. There iare all kinds of options.

The 50 cals are a quick, temporary solution.

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 09:27 AM
link   

More seriously what about a 30-40 foot concrete wall ? It has worked for Israel. We could uses some of that wasted money we send as international 'aid". We could get the illegals themselves to build it as "labor" instead of prison time. There iare all kinds of options.

Sure, now we know your not a medical doctor.
Removeing money away from international aid, yeah thats a good way to make friends.

They are also inhumane under the UN laws , international law and the geneva convention.

[edit on 26/02/2005 by devilwasp]

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 09:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by devilwasp

Sure, now we know your not a medical doctor.
Removeing money away from international aid, yeah thats a good way to make friends.

They are also inhumane under the UN laws , international law and the geneva convention.

[edit on 26/02/2005 by devilwasp]

Never professed to be a medical doctor, so what's your 'point".

Its "our" tax money, screw international 'aid", America has never had any "friends" outside original "british" empire, just a bunch of hands out wanting money.

Find "border" control under the Geneva Convention please. Show me where it is illegal..........

When the US Coast Guard wants to stop a boat load of illegals they often let the 50 cals sing over the bow of the boat. Whats the difference here?

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 10:09 AM
link   
Why not imprison illegal aliens in the US? Imprison them for years, make them pay the cost of their imprisonment, then only return them to their homecountry if that country will agree to sentence them to prison also or at least to follow up on the collection of their debt to the US. Illegally crossing the border is 'worth it' in a cost/benefit consideration. Make it very much not worth it, if anyone actually wants to stop it.

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 10:14 AM
link   

No.

If your idea of control is to pump thousands of robotic 50 cal machine gun rounds into people trying to better their situation, many of whom have done nothing wrong to deserve such a punishment, then I truly just have to shake my head in amazement. I mean let's get this straight, they are only being detained because they entered the states illegally right?

I'm sorry but how exactly do you figure an illeagl alien has done "nothing wrong"
Thier first act in our country is to break the law. Had they not done so they would not be illegal.
I agree that robotic 50 cal is an extreme dea, however I am sick of hearing about benefits being extended to people who broke the law in order to enter my country.

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 10:37 AM
link   

Never professed to be a medical doctor, so what's your 'point".

Pointing out a fact, nothing more...

Its "our" tax money, screw international 'aid", America has never had any "friends" outside original "british" empire, just a bunch of hands out wanting money.

Yeah, nice way to help peolple, mabye if it was your people dieing you would want help.

Find "border" control under the Geneva Convention please. Show me where it is illegal..........

Actually its under the treatment of civilains in a time of war, which the US is at war since its at war with terror.
Is it not?

[qoute]
Relative to the Protection of Civilian Persons in Time of War , 12 August 1949.

(1) Persons taking no active part in the hostilities, including members of armed forces who have laid down their arms and those placed hors de combat by sickness, wounds, detention, or any other cause, shall in all circumstances be treated humanely, without any adverse distinction founded on race, colour, religion or faith, sex, birth or wealth, or any other similar criteria.[/qoute]

When the US Coast Guard wants to stop a boat load of illegals they often let the 50 cals sing over the bow of the boat. Whats the difference here?

That is not killing but giveing a warning shot, there is a diffrence between killing and warning.

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 10:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by devilwasp
Relative to the Protection of Civilian Persons in Time of War , 12 August 1949.

(1) Persons taking no active part in the hostilities, including members of armed forces who have laid down their arms and those placed hors de combat by sickness, wounds, detention, or any other cause, shall in all circumstances be treated humanely, without any adverse distinction founded on race, colour, religion or faith, sex, birth or wealth, or any other similar criteria.[/qoute]

That is a pretty far out there even for you. It has nothing to do with border control.

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 10:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by mwm1331
I'm sorry but how exactly do you figure an illeagl alien has done "nothing wrong"
Thier first act in our country is to break the law. Had they not done so they would not be illegal.
I agree that robotic 50 cal is an extreme dea, however I am sick of hearing about benefits being extended to people who broke the law in order to enter my country.

Ok, let's try reading my sentence again shall we? Here we go...

If your idea of control is to pump thousands of robotic 50 cal machine gun rounds into people trying to better their situation, many of whom have done nothing wrong to deserve such a punishment,

Where did I say they'd done nothing wrong? I said they'd done nothing wrong to deserve having thousands of machine gun rounds pumped into them, which I think is a fair assessment.

I'm sorry to come over sarcastic man, but I hate having words put into my mouth.

Ok all good I hope.

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 10:53 AM
link   

I'm sorry to come over sarcastic man, but I hate having words put into my mouth.

Ok all good I hope.

Then where did I say putting thousand of rounds into the illegals? Deterence dude........not mass killing..........

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 11:02 AM
link   

Then where did I say putting thousand of rounds into the illegals? Deterence dude........not mass killing..........

ok...

robotic 50 cal machine guns

robotic being taken by me to mean targeting and firing at illegals automatically when detected. Machine guns being taken by me to mean many, many rounds. If a large number suddenly decided to try and cross the border with the "deterence" it was pretty much be mass killing.

It was an assumption based on the words you gave to describe the deterent, where as no assumption was required in my statement as it was clear as day, he read "done nothing wrong" and didn't bother to take in the rest of the sentence.

Hope that helps.

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 11:04 AM
link   

Gov. Janet Napolitano to send an invoice to U.S. Attorney General Alberto Gonzalez, requesting compensation for more than $118 million over the past 18 months. Napolitano demanded that the federal government pay up or take custody of the thousands of criminal illegal immigrants housed in Arizona prisons.

WOW! EXCELLENT Governor! I hope she gets the money for her state.
Perhaps this is the only way to get the feds to get cracking on illegals.
Make it hurt .. in the federal check book! Only problem .... some yahoo
will get in office and give blanket amnesty to illegals to 'take care of
the problem' ..... which will only cause more problems of course.

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 03:20 PM
link   
DrHoracid, I hate you with a great fury, but hell, even I support your idea of border patrol. Hell, want to join me and my freinds this summer when we go alien hunting? Not sure when yet, they need to put in papers to get vacation, need to save money, stuff like that, but hell, should be fun defending this country from a real threat, unlike Iraq, which was not a threat.

Also, how come US, Canada, other white countries can't kill the people invading their countries? Russia, China, Mexico, Brazil, Egypt, they all use military troops to guard their border, and shoot to kill if you cross illegally. So, how come when someone in America suggests the same thing they are Hitler? HITLER CROSSED THE BORDERS ILLEGALLY! IT WAS CALLED WWII!!!!!!

I swear, we need to stop funding this hellhole "war" on terror and spend it on defending this country. Make a wall, put heat vision/activated machine guns on the walls, stuff like that. First, have a fence with Barb Wire, about 100feet infront of concrete wall, then land mines in between, anti tank, that way some poor little critter doesn't step on it and set it off, since a anti-tank one takes more then a light tap to go off, thing like this.

Also, go to Florida, and deport all those damn Cubans. I swear, I did more work then the INS has ever. I watched tv, saw a school in Florida, they were doing some special there, and NO ONE SPOKE ENGLISH! All the students spoke Cuban, all were cuban, therefor the parents are Cuban, and need to be deported.

If they want to be here, come here LEGALLY! My Aunt had no problem getting here legally, and she was in a Communist nation during the height of the cold war/Vietnam War. So, a Mexican/Cuban should be able to get here in a time of, well, "peace" between our nations.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join