It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump to sign EO for free speech on colleges / universities that receive federal funding .

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 5 2019 @ 09:43 AM
link   
a reply to: Plotus

Know many Jamaicans who are Rasta do you?
Otherwise, why cut with such a broad blade?
I'm all about MAGA, Free Speech and won't argue your point on college education being wasted if even worth it, but why say that?
Is there something wrong with Jamaicans or Rastas? Can they not be college educated? And if not, does that automatically deem them lifelong losers or something?
Asking for Bob Marley and a snip ton of other artists and some friends of mine. Thanks.

posted on Mar, 5 2019 @ 09:45 AM
link   
a reply to: Fallingdown

It doesn't surprise me any more that people would be against this.

It's sad, but not surprising.

posted on Mar, 5 2019 @ 09:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: theAWfuLWaFFLe
a reply to: IkNOwSTuff

In reality the numbers show that people's political leanings are greatly influenced by their level of education. If you would like a link to the statistics for the United States educational level and age correlating to political leanings I'm sure I could dig it up.
There are probably way more college students who have been exposed to the opinions and propaganda of Marxist professors than people who just went on to run the family farms yes?

posted on Mar, 5 2019 @ 10:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: Breakthestreak
Do we want muslims to be able to publicly call for they murder of rape victims and the execution of all non muslims??

“Hell yes, freedom of speech, it’s their right, ALL republicans are nazis”

Do we want people to be able to speak out against left wing fascism?

“Hell no, racist, bigot, impeach, REEEEEEEEE”

Silencing political opposition is fascism
I think
There definitely has to be line drawn between legal and illegal. Progressive sjws depend on propaganda of their moral worldview. Still, one wonders what will
Happen if we allow Sharia Law to supplant our Constitution, for that is surely the next step of Progressives in breaking down our Constitution. It is apparent in recent congressional activity.

posted on Mar, 5 2019 @ 10:11 AM
link   
I’m a liberal and I whole heartedly think that the deplatforming, hecklers vote, and consorship on college campuses need to be addressed. Free speech and rigorous debate (outside of incitement to violence, etc) is essential to a free and even progressive society.

It has been deeply concerning to watch as college campuses become anti free speech and #ting down of anything but the current US identity politics view. I’m so happy I finished college before this really accelerated. That was 2002-2007.

Ironically, I was working in a social justice orientated research group during that period, but back then it was mostly actual researchers, professionals, or academics that were deep in the sj game.

By the time I went to grad school 2012-2014 it was already transitioning to concerning, ideological levels and there were much more people acting like stereotypical sjws.

Now it’s everybody and their mother and the problem is most of them don’t have a deep, nuanced view precisely because it’s not their primary focus. It’s like they took one sociology class and read salon and think they are the most woke person ever.

edit on 5-3-2019 by Quetzalcoatl14 because: (no reason given)

edit on 5-3-2019 by Quetzalcoatl14 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2019 @ 10:32 AM
link   

Orange Man Bad . Free Speech Bad ..........Waaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

posted on Mar, 5 2019 @ 10:38 AM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

I’m trying to remain a little more optimistic . Lol

posted on Mar, 5 2019 @ 10:57 AM
link   
a reply to: ThirdEyeofHorus

I'd like to think it serves both purposes.
Either way, I like it.

posted on Mar, 5 2019 @ 11:03 AM
link   
a reply to: theAWfuLWaFFLe

In eight years you've contributed 36 posts, half of which are in this thread.

Dare I say you've been triggered?

posted on Mar, 5 2019 @ 12:26 PM
link   

a reply to: seeker1963

DePaul is a private university, if they choose to let someone as vacuous as Ben Shapiro speak then let him. Honestly, let him parrot his drivel and show what he truly represents. On the flip side it's well within people's right to protest, I don't necessarily agree with the tactics or execution but the fact remains.

You think Ben Shapiro is vacuous? Can you please provide examples that show this?

posted on Mar, 5 2019 @ 01:09 PM
link   

Seriously, are you implying there's been some kind of long term devious plan to "take over" the higher education system?

Actually there has, and it's been in place for the better part of the last century.

Back in the 1940's, an group of Marxist intellectuals of the Frankfort School in Europe got together to find a better way of turning Capitalist countries Marxist without violent uprising. They determined that the best way was to slowly infiltrate capitalist societies through cultural influence, essentially implementing a sort of slow-burn cultural Marxism over time. They identified higher education, the press, and the entertainment industry as the primary means to slowly evolve a culture towards Marxism, and they have been highly successful. Anyone with two brain cells to rub together can see that these three industries have been completely taken over by leftists.

So now that the cultural infiltration of Marxism in the culture of the west is complete, the next phase has begun - the class struggle. In order to get enough people to identify as one of the oppressed class, you must find ways to divide people among themselves. This is what identity politics is all about, and why this has become such a hot issue in recent years. When you divide people up enough, and assign enough groups to the victimization hierarchy, you get to a point where the 'oppressed' are greater in number than the 'oppressors', and revolution is sparked. The 'oppressed' destroy everything the perceived 'oppressors' built, which in this case is 300 years of Enlightenment-based western Democracy, and a new government 'of the oppressed' is formed. This is called Communism.

Of course, as we all know, the one thing Karl Marx failed to take into account was human nature. He believed that once the Bourgeoisie were overthrown and the Proletariat (the oppressed) came to power, that we'd have a new Utopian society, because no person who knew oppression would, once in power, ever turn around and become the oppressor.

He's dead wrong. Welcome to our future.
edit on 5-3-2019 by Subsonic because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2019 @ 01:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Subsonic

This goes along exactly with the agenda you are describing. If BP is right, we are on the down ward trend of this insanity and when they start losing things will get really interesting.

]]]]

posted on Mar, 5 2019 @ 01:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Quetzalcoatl14

I can’t tell you how impressed I was by reading your comment . Finding middle ground is so rare anymore .

The left and the right have such a divide I see no end to it in the foreseeable future . Young people are naturally liberals, I was one when I was in my 20s . It used to be that when you grew up you found a more balanced view.

But the Democrat establishment has found a way to counter that . Their weapon is pure unadulterated rage. Nobody thinks clearly when anger consumes them . Which keeps maturity and clear thought in check .

The Democratic Party along with the main stream media keeps the cycle going . With bombshell after bombshell, cherry picked quotes and soundbites vilifying their opponents at every turn . They build their followers hopes up then let them crash time after time which leaves them crestfallen and angrier .

One particular example that irritates the hell out of me comes from Maxine Waters . For two years she has worked the crowds into a frenzy screaming impeach 45, impeach 45!!! When she knows confirmation in the Senate will never happen . To me it’s obvious that her tactic is just another manipulation of emotions . If Trump is ever brought before the house there’s a good chance he might be impeached . If that happens the endorphins will be flowing like adrenaline on the left they will be ecstatic. Then when confirmation of impeachment doesn’t happen in the Senate . It will be like dropping a nuclear bomb . Maybe I’m overthinking it but the thought of it scares the hell out of me.

Just to be fair I’ll pretend Trump could be removed from office . The right would be furious Twitter, Instagram and Facebook would probably blow up . There would be protest but they would probably be far more peaceful . I seriously doubt we would take to the streets and Break windows, start fires, screamed to the sky and hunt individual liberals down to beat them up unless confronted with violence. You can look back to the 60s and 70s the right only sporadically hit’s the streets looking to instigate violence .The reason being is that no one has toyed with our emotions for two years so we are better suited to control our rage .

Anger is a terrible and frightening motivator. Which Hillary and the other 70 -year-old plus establishment old guard are using it as a tool without a thought for their constituents .

My thoughts on the matter were a pretty long winded way to get to my point . Lol

So back to maturity, I’m hoping the reintroduction of free speech on the college campuses. Will open minds which might help people to recognize the pattern of continuously cycling anger through civil discussions . My hopes might be a pipe dream but as long as I’m alive I’m gonna try to stay optimistic .

What the hell why quit now .........

There is more information available now to people than ever before in human history . If I was walking down the beach then found a bottle and a genie popped out to give me one wish . My wish would be that everyone would research both sides of a issue the world is at our fingertips .

Research is the key “ nature abhors a vacuum “

As I said earlier, I really enjoyed your comment. So I hope I didn’t overstep my bounds .

posted on Mar, 5 2019 @ 01:35 PM
link   

Basically an extension to the No Child Left Behind Act. Punch a guy for free speech, you lose your funding. Cause enough chaos to stop a Conservative speaker from speaking, you lose your funding. Except this time the oppressed ones are Republicans.

Fantastic move!

posted on Mar, 5 2019 @ 01:37 PM
link   

How do you mean this executive order should be extended to primary schools? Do you have an example of primary schools silencing free speech?

I'm sure this has been answered but I don't feel like looking first. Yes, this happens in primary schools. Latest example happened this week or last, in Arizona.

posted on Mar, 5 2019 @ 01:40 PM
link   
If it isn't progressive or anarchist speech then it is hate speech, everyone knows that....geez

posted on Mar, 5 2019 @ 01:47 PM
link   

In reality the numbers show that people's political leanings are greatly influenced by their level of education. If you would like a link to the statistics for the United States educational level and age correlating to political leanings I'm sure I could dig it up.

Well duh. That proves that colleges and universities are brainwashing kids. Level of education =/= IQ

posted on Mar, 5 2019 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Seems to me like this will be good for both conservatives and liberals.

Pro-choice studies will now be protected as will liberal minded teachers.

Their right to speak their liberal ideas can't be challenged after this.

Unless this eo only protects the right of conservative ideas? I don't know I didn't read it yet.

Does it protect ALL free speech? Even hard hard left lib/comie speech?

posted on Mar, 5 2019 @ 02:02 PM
link   
a reply to: theAWfuLWaFFLe

Wrong. There are many right wing atheists out there. They don't flip their # when they see the name God or Jesus. Only liberals do that. The right tied themselves to the nuclear family, religion happened to be a part of that.

Climate change wasn't a big thing until liberals pushed it and blamed it on everything that stood for the middle class like oilfields, steel mills, coal mines, cows, and big engines. Evolution isn't a left or right wing thing. You either think you came from a monkey or you don't. When liberals put slavery, the Confederacy, or Native Americans into context, they put it into their own context by falsifying nearly everything about it and they tie themselves to it. You only see talking points when it involves those three issues, nothing else. Civil rights were a necessary part of this country 50+ years ago. We all have equal rights now so there's no reason to be anti or pro civil rights anymore.

Your problem is that you're full of nothing but left wing talking points and nothing you say makes sense. Your brain is clouded.

posted on Mar, 5 2019 @ 02:03 PM
link   

Care to provide an example of something taught in university that doesn't get another side examined? Maybe an issue that you feel has a side being "demonised" and not fully considered due to "liberal" bias?

White privilege.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join