It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump to sign EO for free speech on colleges / universities that receive federal funding .

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 5 2019 @ 01:02 AM
link   
a reply to: Breakthestreak

Whatever helps you sleep at night.

posted on Mar, 5 2019 @ 01:02 AM
link   
a reply to: theAWfuLWaFFLe

You got me

posted on Mar, 5 2019 @ 01:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: theAWfuLWaFFLe

Whatever helps you sleep at night.

I’m right
You know it

There’s a reason why the regressive left is gutted that free speech is now going to be enforced.

You’re a good example

posted on Mar, 5 2019 @ 01:04 AM
link   
The left will find a way to fight or circumvent this, they have too.
Without the very small but vocal academic “elites” the extremely left pushing agenda has no support.

Once kids are fully exposed to all sides of the story and aren’t socially punished for believeing a certain way, liberal support dies.
Even with the playing field as uneven as it is most people become conservative in their 30s once they’ve had some actual life experience anyway.
edit on 5/3/2019 by IkNOwSTuff because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2019 @ 01:07 AM
link   

I know that's what you want to believe deep down in your heart and if that makes you feel better then by all means. Free speech is already in effect in tandem with public universities and their respective charters of conduct.

posted on Mar, 5 2019 @ 01:10 AM
link   

posted on Mar, 5 2019 @ 01:11 AM
link   

I know that's what you want to believe deep down in your heart and if that makes you feel better then by all means. Free speech is already in effect in tandem with public universities and their respective charters of conduct.

It’s true. The left is gutted. You’ll see soon enough once cnn performs the mental gymnastics and gives out the talking points.

I don’t need to ‘feel better’, there’s six more years of this at the very least.

posted on Mar, 5 2019 @ 01:11 AM
link   
a reply to: IkNOwSTuff

In reality the numbers show that people's political leanings are greatly influenced by their level of education. If you would like a link to the statistics for the United States educational level and age correlating to political leanings I'm sure I could dig it up.

posted on Mar, 5 2019 @ 01:16 AM
link   

The 2018 midterms definitely don't leave the impression of a "left" being gutted. Nice try with the CNN dig, what a narrow homogeneous view you must have of anyone who isn't on your "side".

posted on Mar, 5 2019 @ 01:16 AM
link   

The 2018 midterms definitely don't leave the impression of a "left" being gutted. Nice try with the CNN dig, what a narrow homogeneous view you must have of anyone who isn't on your "side".

Yes yes

It’s hard to hide from the truth The left is gutted about THIS executive order. And for good reason, free speech is the enemy of the left
edit on 5 3 2019 by Breakthestreak because: (no reason given)

+5 more 
posted on Mar, 5 2019 @ 01:19 AM
link   

My last reply was dismissive. I apologize

Here is an example of free speech on a billboard .

Here’s an example of a kid who was suspended for wearing a Trump shirt. He won $25,000 in a lawsuit based on the first amendment .

www.dailymail.co.uk...

Here’s a article with a study that shows liberal professors outnumber conservatives 12 to 1. The number of liberal professors has gradually increased since the 60s. Now the college and universities are overwhelmingly liberal . That causes me to form a hypothesis that there was an intentional taken over .

But I guess you might have an argument for the overwhelming number of liberal professors. You’ve heard this old saying haven’t you ?

“ those who can do, those that can’t teach “

If we look at it that way I can see your point .

www.washingtontimes.com...
edit on 5-3-2019 by Fallingdown because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2019 @ 01:19 AM
link   

If they are in effect they aren’t very effective.
How many times have conservatives been stopped one way or another from speaking on college campuses?

You might say there wasn’t a “legal” restriction so the EO is unnecessary, it was the will of the community or some other such nonsense.
Of all places institutions of higher learning should be a setting where all forms of speech and ideas are tolerated and discussed
Any school that allows any form of censorship to take place for reasons of feelings or “hate speech” isn’t deserving of being called an educational facility, it’s an agenda driven proganda factory

posted on Mar, 5 2019 @ 01:28 AM
link   

In reality the numbers show that people's political leanings are greatly influenced by their level of education. If you would like a link to the statistics for the United States educational level and age correlating to political leanings I'm sure I could dig it up.

When you are only exposed to one side of the argument and the other side is demonised without proper unbiased analysis then of course that’s going to be the outcome, no need for a study to believe that.

What’s amazing when considering all factors is that anyone leaves college conservative at all

+3 more 
posted on Mar, 5 2019 @ 01:38 AM
link   

a reply to: Fallingdown

Indulge me with just one. That's it, one. For the record there should be free speech on campuses, no brainer, funny thing is it's already present. This whole EO exercise is just a way to pander to his base plain and simple. Enjoy the koolaid.

Here is one of several.

Depaul University refuses to allow Ben Shapiro to speak!

]]]]

posted on Mar, 5 2019 @ 01:53 AM
link   

Seriously, are you implying there's been some kind of long term devious plan to "take over" the higher education system?

Yes . Bill Ayers is an example
Look him up as I am sure you are not old enough to remember

posted on Mar, 5 2019 @ 01:54 AM
link   
a reply to: Fallingdown

Thanks for finding an example. Free speech gets kind of hazy when it gets hateful, that's why we have a judicial system there to help keep it in line more or less. I can't say I'm always going to agree but I'm not a judge nor will I ever be appointed as one, i leave it the professionals.

I will say that when a billboard uses racist stereotypes or implies a president should be murdered it becomes easier to say it's no longer a free speech issue. I'm not very familiar with the upload system yet but I have half a dozen examples of billboards that exemplified those 2 things about Obama to the letter. Let's be honest, those 2 examples are worse right?

The kid getting suspended and winning a court case are bang on, that's an egregious example of a violation of his 1st amendment rights. And clearly the court agreed so the issue settled itself exactly how the system was setup to handle such an issue.

As for the liberal professors, well, the divide between ideologies has been growing more stark every generation. The moment the right tied themselves to the evangelical movement in the late 70s the divide became irreversible. In my opinion the religious element that has become synonymous with any right issue has hampered any objective dissection of real issues, particularly when it comes to science.

So now climate science is considered "liberal", evolution is "liberal", being pro civil rights is "liberal", putting historical atrocities (slavery, Native American Genocide, Confederate monuments) in context is "liberal". These aren't liberal ideas or brainwashing, they're facts and they care little for your or my feelings. In essence my issue is what is being classified as liberal is just reality.

In closing, yes there are more "liberal" professors because the institution of higher education isn't meant to be a place where your subjective opinions are reinforced, it's meant to be a place of learning facts and increasing one's knowledge.

posted on Mar, 5 2019 @ 02:10 AM
link   
a reply to: seeker1963

DePaul is a private university, if they choose to let someone as vacuous as Ben Shapiro speak then let him. Honestly, let him parrot his drivel and show what he truly represents. On the flip side it's well within people's right to protest, I don't necessarily agree with the tactics or execution but the fact remains.

posted on Mar, 5 2019 @ 02:16 AM
link   

Care to provide an example of something taught in university that doesn't get another side examined? Maybe an issue that you feel has a side being "demonised" and not fully considered due to "liberal" bias?

+5 more 
posted on Mar, 5 2019 @ 02:21 AM
link   

So now climate science is considered "liberal", evolution is "liberal", being pro civil rights is "liberal", putting historical atrocities (slavery, Native American Genocide, Confederate monuments) in context is "liberal". These aren't liberal ideas or brainwashing, they're facts and they care little for your or my feelings. In essence my issue is what is being classified as liberal is just reality.

Teaching facts is not "liberal." Teaching opinions on those facts as facts is a problem.

As an example, climate science is a legitimate, if new, science field. There is nothing wrong with teaching what it is, what the prevailing theories are, the reasoning behind those theories, methods of gathering historical data, etc., etc., etc. What is not OK is teaching that certain theories are immutable and and must be assumed accurate without question, or teaching false information like the "97% scientific consensus" nonsense. What is worse, and fascist, is forbidding anyone in a class from legitimately questioning theories.

Evolution is a theory with some evidence to support it and other evidence that calls it into question. It should be taught as such, not as a law of nature that is inviolable. And no one should ever be prohibited from questioning it.

Pro-civil rights is not "liberal," but neither is "anti-civil rights" conservative. There are often two (or more) sides to every issue, and college is there to present the different sides, not mandate which side is correct.

Putting historical occurrences in context is certainly not "liberal"; that would be "conservative" in my view. But that is certainly not being done. Historical context is actually missing from many history courses, and is falsified in others. As an example, the War of Northern Aggression is being taught as being solely an attempt to end the evils of slavery. What is not mentioned is that the vast, vast majority of Confederate soldiers DID. NOT. OWN. SLAVES.

I agree completely with President Trump's Executive Order.

TheRedneck

posted on Mar, 5 2019 @ 02:22 AM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

Can you eulicidate me further on what role you believe he's playing or has played in a "take over" of higher education?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join