It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump to sign EO for free speech on colleges / universities that receive federal funding .

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+35 more 
posted on Mar, 4 2019 @ 11:56 PM
link   
It took me a day and I was jarred by the Tucker Carlson show before I thought it through . But how the hell are the liberal indoctrination camps aka colleges and universities going to fight this ? Are they going to fight against free speech? Is the minstream media going to tell their masses how evil, horrible and immoral free speech is ?

Will they try their “free speech is hate speech chant” on the entire nation ? If so Trump forced their hand, any attack on free speech should pull teetering Democrats away from their party. Over the last few years we have all seen professors and administrators stifling free-speech on campus and in the classrooms .

This executive order should put the left’s back against the wall with no maneuvering room.

It will also be part of Trumps legacy. Unless America ceases to be a republic there will never be a president that would dare to overturn it.

The only complaint I have. Is that I wish it would be extended into the primary school system . Because there are like problems there .

President Trump says he’s going to push back against limits of free speech at colleges, a move that’s cheered by a founder of a major organization that focuses on campus civil rights.

Trump, speaking at the Conservative Political Action Conference this weekend, said, “Today, I am proud to announce that I will be very soon signing an executive order requiring colleges and universities to support free speech if they want federal research funds.”

Cambridge civil-rights attorney Harvey Silverglate said he supports a move like this, saying, “Federal funds should not be funding censorship.”

“There is a real tyranny of correctness if you deviate from the real progressive view of things,” Silverglate said of the state of discourse on college campuses, though he said he suspects Trump is simply “grandstanding” because “other times he has no problem telling people in the federal government to shut up.”

^^^^^^^^ Sorry Harvey but Trump usually does what he says .

Trump and other conservatives have increasingly taken issue with what they see as campus crackdowns on opinions that aren’t considered politically correct. Conservative speakers have faced protests and even some rioting from left-wing protesters, and many universities have codes that limit some speech deemed offensive but is legally protected in the non-college world.

The federal government currently provides colleges and universities with a total of $30 billion in research funding — money the president and the Department of Education could route away from schools they see as behaving badly.

www.bostonherald.com...

I’m not sure what everyone else is going to think of this . But the way I look at it the left is going to be slack-jawed and flat-footed on this one.
edit on 5-3-2019 by Fallingdown because: (no reason given)

+20 more 
posted on Mar, 5 2019 @ 12:01 AM
link   
a reply to: Fallingdown

I love everything about this.

One of the best moves the Trump administration has made to date.

+1 more 
posted on Mar, 5 2019 @ 12:03 AM
link   
The wild scrambling has begun 😎

It's a recurring PR nightmare all over again 😎

+7 more 
posted on Mar, 5 2019 @ 12:13 AM
link   

This will somehow get twisted into Trump being a dictator and this EO being a way to stifle progressive movements. Just give them some time to do the mental gymnastics.

posted on Mar, 5 2019 @ 12:14 AM
link   
MAGA

Those who would take away free speech should be dispatched into the real world. I have seldom seen higher education benefit the right people.
Liberal Arts, would that be noisy absurdities and parties?
It's all fun and games until the Piper comes to collect his student loan.

Jamaican Rastafarian is always a good college dropouts choice, sounds about right......

posted on Mar, 5 2019 @ 12:15 AM
link   

How do you mean this executive order should be extended to primary schools? Do you have an example of primary schools silencing free speech?

posted on Mar, 5 2019 @ 12:16 AM
link   
a reply to: Plotus

Who are the right people higher education should benefit?

posted on Mar, 5 2019 @ 12:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: theAWfuLWaFFLe

Who are the right people higher education should benefit?
Those willing to learn, not the party hounds. I saw plenty of yahoos at USU Logan who were anything but attentive, instead a parent funded continuation of party time. Even worked with some. They were fun but unimpressive as students.

posted on Mar, 5 2019 @ 12:30 AM
link   

That's just the natural weeding out process at universities, I saw plenty of "party hounds" who flunked out and some who have gone on to become successful. Regardless of people's extracurriculars higher education serves a critical role in society, helping to form chains of growth that expand out benefiting everyone. If someone goes to undergrad and wastes their opportunity that's their choice.

I went to a public university and can only speak for my experience but the majority of people there had student loans, parent plus loans, grants, scholarships or some combination.
edit on 5 3 2019 by theAWfuLWaFFLe because: (no reason given)

+7 more 
posted on Mar, 5 2019 @ 12:33 AM
link   
a reply to: AgarthaSeed

I like just about everything about it too. But I think the part I like best is it will probably be in effect forever. There’s not much of a chance for the Democrats to unring that bell .

With the stroke of a pen he irreparably harms their decades of planning the takeover of the educational system.

Yeah I’m good with that .

posted on Mar, 5 2019 @ 12:35 AM
link   
Do we want muslims to be able to publicly call for they murder of rape victims and the execution of all non muslims??

“Hell yes, freedom of speech, it’s their right, ALL republicans are nazis”

Do we want people to be able to speak out against left wing fascism?

“Hell no, racist, bigot, impeach, REEEEEEEEE”

Silencing political opposition is fascism

posted on Mar, 5 2019 @ 12:36 AM
link   
Seriously, are you implying there's been some kind of long term devious plan to "take over" the higher education system?

posted on Mar, 5 2019 @ 12:38 AM
link   
a reply to: Breakthestreak

Example of a Muslim speaker at a public university calling for the murder of rape victims and non muslims?

posted on Mar, 5 2019 @ 12:40 AM
link   
a reply to: Ksihkehe

That would fall under my “ free speech is hate speech comment “. The militant left might agree, but I don’t see a lot of other people climbing in that boat .

posted on Mar, 5 2019 @ 12:45 AM
link   

Do we want muslims to be able to publicly call for they murder of rape victims and the execution of all non muslims??

Free speech doesn’t apply to criminal intent. You can’t yell fire in a movie theater or Hi Jack at a airport. Ask the guy that yelled I have Ebola on the plane after they sent the hazmat suits in.

Besides that the rest of your positions would be acceptable .

posted on Mar, 5 2019 @ 12:48 AM
link   

Example of a Muslim speaker at a public university calling for the murder of rape victims and non muslims?

If one ever did would the regressive left oppose it? Would they stage mass protests and force them to be silent and refuse to allow them a platform?

ZERO chance of that.

But an ‘evil conservative’ wanting to spew ‘hate speech’, that’s a different story

posted on Mar, 5 2019 @ 12:50 AM
link   
a reply to: theAWfuLWaFFLe

A simple search will give you multiple examples . Free speech is not exclusively oral, billboards, T-shirts, flags anything that expresses what you feel is covered under the first amendment .

posted on Mar, 5 2019 @ 12:52 AM
link   

So no example? Makes sense. Presuming the "left" wouldn't oppose your made up scenario, shocker.

posted on Mar, 5 2019 @ 12:55 AM
link   

So no example? Makes sense. Presuming the "left" wouldn't oppose your made up scenario, shocker.

They wouldn’t, you know it

posted on Mar, 5 2019 @ 01:01 AM
link   

Indulge me with just one. That's it, one. For the record there should be free speech on campuses, no brainer, funny thing is it's already present. This whole EO exercise is just a way to pander to his base plain and simple. Enjoy the koolaid.
edit on 5 3 2019 by theAWfuLWaFFLe because: Grammar

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join