It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Trump should not veto his Emergency Act Challenge from Congress..or should he?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 4 2019 @ 10:54 PM
link   
So here we are. Back to the resistance from the new House. Right now there are 31 National Emergencies enacted. 4 of which president Trump has enacted but it seems this last one has everyone attention. Diverting funds for border security.

We witnessed the shutdown. Trump took the blame in the end and everyone got paid. Pelosi claimed victory but nothing was won. Well, at least not for the taxpayer or her constituents. However, it showed the 'resist' movement and who was involved and how deep it went. Another shutdown was averted but those opposing him were warned it would be coming. The House has passed the resolution to dissolve it. It looks like the Senate will also, even with GOP control, vote for the emergency resolution to be terminated with a joint resolution.

NEVER, since the first was enacted in 1917 has one been challenged as we are seeing today. So why now?

If Trump vetoes it he will look like a dictator, well, at least in the media. So, why not just let it go. It is not like anyone who voted for him is pissed that the Democrats, and now Republicans, are holding it up. I know I do not hold him responsible.

What this will also do it call out those people who are not truly on board. The first time in over 40 years a National Emergency is cancelled to stop border security. Make sure to get that right. The money is not just for a barrier but for other technology. Those who oppose it are going on record that they do not agree with border security. Election season is upon us.

This excuse about what a future president could do is garbage because if that was true the left had 16 of the last 24 years to allow a president to do what we are 'afraid of'. They could have 'taken' our guns already.

Remember what was said before the Trump win and what would happen.

Stocks will fall 50% if Trump president
2 trillion could be gone from 401k

These same people are the ones saying the NE is not needed and no crisis on the border.

Job numbers up.
Unemployment down.
Remember this.....

There is no reason to not allow this to happen but if he does veto the action he will look like an obstructionist. Once again in a catch 22. However, if he does veto it then it goes back to Congress and they need a 2/3 vote to overturn the veto.

All these votes do is show the true color of Washington's Congress and they are not working for the people.

This is a good article from The Hill and I strongly suggest you read it

Link

The failure to secure the border has resulted in a population of undocumented aliens so large that effective immigration enforcement in the interior of the country is no longer possible. According to ICE’s Enforcement and Removal Operations Report for fiscal 2018, the number of aliens deported from the interior of the country rose from 65,332 in fiscal 2016, to 95,360 in fiscal 2018. A study by MIT and Yale professors, however, indicates that the number of undocumented aliens in the United States could actually be as high as 22.1 million. If interior removals continue at the fiscal 2018 rate, it would take more than 200 years to remove them all.

Bottom line is our country needs border security and if those in office will not give it to us make sure to vote them out in 2020.

posted on Mar, 4 2019 @ 10:58 PM
link   
a reply to: matafuchs

Great Reasoning there , but you Know he Must Veto it . Politics Sucks , Yeah , I know ..........(

posted on Mar, 4 2019 @ 11:00 PM
link   

The only reason Trump got into office was because the average American was sick and tired of politics as usual.

Since he became President it has not been politics as usual... at all.

America is now better by all economic standards then it was 2 years ago.

So let's let him do what he needs to do... I'm all for the veto and let's go from there.

All he will be doing is using the powers that Congress passed into law for him to use.

Let everyone rant and rave.

In the meantime, let's keep America going forward.

posted on Mar, 4 2019 @ 11:04 PM
link   
I say veto it to get the swamp critters to self identify for draining purposes. To check another one off the list ahead of 2020.
edit on 4-3-2019 by Ahabstar because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2019 @ 11:14 PM
link   
Trump should veto that bill challenging the wall emergency declaration. The Democrats are the ones that are slamming this project, they were originally the ones who wanted the wall years back and now since Trump wants it, they are against it.

I think that the Democrats have gone hulu, they can't seem to just do what the people need, they are causing chaos in Washington and little is getting done for the people who elected them. We do not elect congressmen to go argue in Washington, we elect them to get things for the people they represent. The Democrats should not even be allowed to get a paycheck since they are not serving any Democrats other than some radical liberals. They are not doing what is best for the people that elected them.

posted on Mar, 4 2019 @ 11:17 PM
link   
Veto
Make them stand by their votes.
Make them tell the American public more ridiculous lies.

posted on Mar, 4 2019 @ 11:20 PM
link   

You know what pissed me off?

Rand Paul was on Fox saying that he'd go against Trump because it was "the will of the congress".

Not once did that rat-bastard say that congress was going against the will of the people.

posted on Mar, 4 2019 @ 11:27 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

I think he's trying to position for a 2020 primary run.

All I can say is that he is certainly not his father.

Which is a pity.

posted on Mar, 4 2019 @ 11:57 PM
link   
I wonder how those opposed to the wall would change their stance if they found out Russians were sneaking in. It's crazy how much hate people have for our president.

posted on Mar, 5 2019 @ 12:13 AM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

He has done this before for Trump though. Said he was opposed and at the last minute votes with. Probably still a little pissed about the 2016 debates.

posted on Mar, 5 2019 @ 12:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

You know what pissed me off?

Rand Paul was on Fox saying that he'd go against Trump because it was "the will of the congress".

Not once did that rat-bastard say that congress was going against the will of the people.

It just goes to show you that when his neighbor jumped him, he either broke Rand's spine, or he secretly took it. I see a future law suit for Rand vs his neighbor.

"the will of congress" sounds more like a certain party's goal of making the Electoral College the "will of the national populace" more then doing what "the will of the people that voted him in to office" want. I wonder how much Rand got for his Presidential bid this time.

posted on Mar, 5 2019 @ 12:58 AM
link   

President Trump said 2 weeks ago that if necessary, he will veto any attempt to reverse the Emergency Declaration.

From what I've read, the Emergency Declaration activated/enabled things far beyond mere wall funds. The President had $5.5 Billion available for Wall construction, even without the Emergency Declaration. The $5.5B would pay for 200 miles of construction, in addition to the 150 miles already completed between 2017 and today.

posted on Mar, 5 2019 @ 01:48 AM
link   
Veto it.

President Trump is violating no part of the US Constitution; all it says on the matter is that all bills to raise revenue must originate in the House of Representatives (Article I Section 7). President Trump is violating no laws; he is instead following 50 USC § 1621, which authorizes him to declare a National Emergency and suspend any Federal law as long as he transmits such intent to the Congress. Congress can then terminate the National Emergency via Congressional Resolution, as per 50 USC § 1621.

At one point, I actually wasn't sure if the President could veto a Congressional resolution, since it is not binding as legislation (but is binding on terminating a National Emergency). However, someone was nice enough to point out my error, although the source was not in the actual Constitution or US Code. Well, I found the source in the US Constitution, in Article I Section 7:

3: Every Order, Resolution, or Vote to which the Concurrence of the Senate and House of Representatives may be necessary (except on a question of Adjournment) shall be presented to the President of the United States; and before the Same shall take Effect, shall be approved by him, or being disapproved by him, shall be repassed by two thirds of the Senate and House of Representatives, according to the Rules and Limitations prescribed in the Case of a Bill.

Since the President is also able to terminate a National Emergency, and since the Constitution has not had Article I Section 7 amended since 50 USC § 1621 was passed by the Congress, there is no reason to believe that Congress did not intend the law to be used as it is being used. The only way Congress said Congress can terminate a National Emergency is by a veto-proof majority in both houses.

So yeah, veto it. Build the damn wall. If Congress wants to override the veto, that is their right. The voters will deal with them as the voters see fit.

If anyone disagrees, then please show me, in either the US Code or the Constitution, where President Trump is violating either, and I will change my mind and correct my statements. It's time people were called out for spreading false information about what the Constitution or the law says. I have linked to both in this post.

TheRedneck

posted on Mar, 5 2019 @ 02:35 AM
link   
What kind of country do we live in when border security isn’t s no-brainer? This is more proof that the Globalists run our Congress.
edit on 2019/3/5 by Metallicus because: Sp

posted on Mar, 5 2019 @ 06:39 AM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

What kind of country do we live in when border security isn’t s no-brainer?

The United States of Stoners

Need a light?

posted on Mar, 5 2019 @ 07:32 AM
link   
Glad to see some folks here see it the way I do, the problem isn't the emergency declaration the problem is congress. Why are so many members of congress so against a more secure border? (yea I know they are obeying those that bought their soul)

I do not think just a wall is the end all be all but it certainly is a piece of the puzzle, plus it will help when the zombie apocalypse happens.

posted on Mar, 5 2019 @ 07:39 AM
link   
a reply to: Irishhaf

Glad to see some folks here see it the way I do, the problem isn't the emergency declaration the problem is congress.

When they had a majority they did very little of what they promised to do.
Congress has been THE problem for a very long time now.

posted on Mar, 5 2019 @ 01:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus
What kind of country do we live in when border security isn’t s no-brainer? This is more proof that the Globalists run our Congress.

Yep, just have to follow the money. Then I just read that Schiff is hiring a former prosecutor from the Southern District of New York to lead the team to investigate Trump for...wait for it...RUSSIAN COLLUSION! Haven’t We, the People, paid well north of $2-3 Million to Mueller’s team for that already? Trump (and border security) is/are interfering with the Globalist Agenda 21...he must be stopped regardless of cost, the sooner the better. And don’t be so sure it’s just the Globalists...as I mentioned in another post, I’d like to see someone research the money trail from Cartels to the pockets of sitting US politicians (both sides).

posted on Mar, 5 2019 @ 02:03 PM
link   

NEVER, since the first was enacted in 1917 has one been challenged as we are seeing today. So why now?

We are being caged in one step at a time as they gradually disarm us.

Get ready for the 26 of this month when we get a whole new batch of criminals made via legislation against bump stocks signed into law by the potus.

I bet if after this passes they can get potus to sign it if they just tell him it is more 2nd amendment infringements.

top topics

join