It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Oh DAMMIT...Foot cramps...at -25F Below!!!!@

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 4 2019 @ 06:59 PM
link   
We're pretty tooled up for COLD..

I love the "crunch" under my feet, BUT, this last week has been hard

Fortunately we put water out for the cows, and put heaters in the tanks, but it's still not easy.

Tonight I was out in my boots, the standing temps are minus -16F. Sure, Minnesota gets colder, but we have a minus -37 "chill factor, and the cows are gettin cold. And soon enough they will "halve' (see, "Calve") their babies. And, we will be there, day or night

It's just cold tonight.

Another walk up the "hill" tonight, and back down the other side. That's what we do. Looking for our new additions!!

It's never easy.

posted on Mar, 4 2019 @ 07:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

Tonight I was out in my boots, the standing temps are minus -16F. Sure, Minnesota gets colder, but we have a minus -37 "chill factor, and the cows are gettin cold. And soon enough they will "halve' (see, "Calve") their babies. And, we will be there, day or night

You know it's cold when you breathe through your nose and few everything freeze in the first breath.

Only upside IMO is eating as hearty as you can, with some stout beverages.

posted on Mar, 4 2019 @ 07:37 PM
link   

I feel your pain... I'm in ND right now.

Yesterday I was breathing through a scarf and outside moving some heater ducts around and a tarp.

I started breathing a little heavy and ended up getting frostbite on the top of my tongue.

Sometimes layers don't matter...

Looks like warmer times are coming though... here it's going to be above 0 tomorrow!!!

posted on Mar, 4 2019 @ 07:54 PM
link   

The cold can act in strange ways.

I used to do a lot of winter camping. One of my friends got into conservation work and asked if I wanted to help him take care of some snow mobile and long distance snow shoe trails during my school break. It was extra money, I liked the outdoors, etc.

I had a 'day off' well, more to the point I was given a trail system to monitor for non snow mobiles. I did about two days work in one day and crashed hard where I was going to picked up.

Pitched my tent before sundown, fell asleep before sundown, and woke up before sunrise. My entire tent was like solid ice. It was the strangest thing, like the thinnest igloo. I'm surprised I didn't die in there from my own C02 output. But I guess the conditions were so perfect that when I fell asleep and it dropped so cold so fast the condensation from my breath almost instantly froze inside the tent, and it just built upon itself.

posted on Mar, 4 2019 @ 08:07 PM
link   
Alright. I started working in a new industry and I have a question. None cramp related.
Don't all cows have the same pregnancy time frame? If so, why in the world would you breed cattle at such time to have calves before April?

I am posing the same question to a co-worker, who breeds cattle.
I just don't understand why you would deal with the hassle, if you could avoid it!

posted on Mar, 4 2019 @ 08:50 PM
link   
Space heater aimed at your feet, feet on an ottoman, a glass with a double shot of the liquor of your choice and 12oz of mixer or two beers and you'll be good to go.

Imagine how the cows feel. Just kidding! They don't care and if they do are dumb as a rock and evolved to be eaten by predators and/or herded. That's why they travel in packs, are herbivores, prefer grass, etc. If we didn't breed and milk/eat them, their natural purpose in the wild would be to travel in open areas, defenseless beyond their strength in numbers, doing nothing except.. eating grass, defecating for psychedelic mushrooms to grow on, procreating, and being eaten.

posted on Mar, 4 2019 @ 08:51 PM
link   
Umm, do the cattle need permission to breed?

posted on Mar, 4 2019 @ 09:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: schuyler
Umm, do the cattle need permission to breed?

Not usually, but giving them the car keys and letting them stay out past 10pm surely isn't a way to discourage them.

FCD should think about that in the future. But I have a feeling he just likes to complain about stuff.

posted on Mar, 4 2019 @ 09:05 PM
link   

I'm not going to go into a rant

WHY do you think it tastes so damn good? Not because your ancestors ate it and it's in your dna, not because you were taught that it's good and fed it as a child, it's because it's good. It's supposed to be good, it's designed to be tasty, that's what it's for. Any carnivore that can kill it, even if it takes a whole squad, will agree.

Rat probably doesn't taste good, dogs and cats don't seem like they'd be good, hmm.. Hey, chicken tastes good, fish tastes good, right? Gee whiz, they're nearly falling out of the skies or can't even fly for that matter, I wonder why. Fish just happen to be the most plentiful edible animal on Earth and a favorite of any meat eating animal that can kill it, even other fish. To top it off, the ones too small to kill large game in packs or solo loves these types of meats more than anything, just ask dogs and cats.

They aren't big enough to equipped to catch most of that #. I have a pair of chihuahuas, brother and sister 3yrs years old, I raised them from a few weeks old. Their favorite is chicken, they love beef and pork as well but outside in my fenced yard, their game is birds, their equivalent of turkey or wild game. Catch it before it can take off or find an injured one.

Anyways, the point is that some animals really do exist to be eaten. I'd go so far as to say that a cow or a pig that isn't eventually utilized for meat to feed so many people was wasted and never lived to it's true potential.

posted on Mar, 4 2019 @ 09:15 PM
link   
a reply to: chiefsmom

Think it has to do with growing time leading to fattening up time for best market price? Could be wrong.

posted on Mar, 4 2019 @ 09:24 PM
link   
What would happen if, hypothetically because it'd never happen, vegetarianism and veganism really took hold in America. Lots of propaganda in the news, more than anti-smoking because it affects everyone's health. There's all these people ignorantly poisoning themselves with the meat and dairy. It'd have to be an ugly turn into deep liberalism way before schedule. It's my opinion that liberalism is a product of population density in our case. In the case of China, they had a far left system from the get go but it's apples and oranges. There'd have to be a string of liberal presidencies after Trump for two decades.

Meat and dairy markets from the grocery stores to the farms would be slowly and progressively weened out of existence. Would they go quietly? If the product became unpopular and more importantly regulated more and more, they'd have to.

posted on Mar, 4 2019 @ 09:29 PM
link   
Here is a little trick I learned back when I ran track.
Use a full sized coke bottle (the glass type)
Roll your foot over the bulged part of the bottle, rolling your foot over the bottle as it rolls on the floor. do this while you are sitting.

Other than that make sure you are getting enough water, as that can certainly be the cause of cramping and in the winter we tend not to realize how much water we are giving away.

posted on Mar, 4 2019 @ 09:40 PM
link   
It was nineteen below here when I woke up this morning, it warmed up to three degrees above zero about two o'clock this afternoon. Back down below zero again tonight. But it is supposed to get up to eleven tomorrow, it is a heatwave. I don't have to go out and work in this cold weather anymore if I do not want to and I don't want to. I can sit around and cook or fire up the wood cookstove for the day if I feel like it.

What is the leg cramp thing about? I never get leg cramps from the cold.
edit on 4-3-2019 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2019 @ 09:50 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse
I have an inkling it is due to dehydration. Many people (even experienced people) neglect staying hydrated in the cold, when the near absolute dryness due to the cold is often more dangerous than in the heat, because in the cold it is not nearly as noticeable.

posted on Mar, 4 2019 @ 10:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lumenari

I started breathing a little heavy and ended up getting frostbite on the top of my tongue.

Seriously frostbite on your tongue from breathing
Thats just horrible

I got sunburned saturday morning kayaking, I feel glad it wasnt frostbite on my tongue.
Never have imagined frostbite on your tongue from breathing

posted on Mar, 4 2019 @ 10:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: dubiousatworst
I have an inkling it is due to dehydration. Many people (even experienced people) neglect staying hydrated in the cold, when the near absolute dryness due to the cold is often more dangerous than in the heat, because in the cold it is not nearly as noticeable.

I seem to get dehydrated in the winter, I think it is because I drink more coffee than in the summer, which makes me pee way more. The wife and I do get some leg cramps occasionally, usually just eating a quarter teaspoon of mustard will get rid of them within minutes. But with the mustard, you do drink some water to wash it down, but the water by itself does not take care of the leg cramps. Magnesium supplements can help to lessen the cramps too as a preventative measure, but I have not tested to try if that actually works, it is kind of hard to evaluate that kind of thing.

posted on Mar, 4 2019 @ 10:13 PM
link   
good shout. the devil in the details of salts, and water retention or even upsetting the balance of salts in your system.

posted on Mar, 4 2019 @ 10:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Raggedyman

originally posted by: Lumenari

Seriously frostbite on your tongue from breathing
Thats just horrible

I got sunburned saturday morning kayaking, I feel glad it wasnt frostbite on my tongue.
Never have imagined frostbite on your tongue from breathing

-46 with the wind chill...

Pretty happy I don't live here.

But the money is good and soon I'll be back in normal weather for the rest of my life without that awkward "work" thing to worry about...

edit on 4-3-2019 by Lumenari because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2019 @ 11:20 AM
link   
a reply to: hiddeninsite

Yes, this is correct.

posted on Mar, 5 2019 @ 12:22 PM
link   
Good luck not sure I would want to tangle with those temps now a days, it was bad enough in my 20's/.

Though personally I found cramps to be wildly preferable to the nonstop itch on a foot, while wearing the thick socks, and heavy cold weather boots.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join