It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Required supersonic test in unusual place.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 4 2019 @ 05:05 PM
link   
Not the best title, sorry about that in advance. Mid-Missouri experienced a large "boom" this morning. I heard it at around 10:41am in Columbia. Of course local media had reached out to the FAA and the folks over at Whiteman and they didn't know anything about it. I figured that was the end of it.

Just saw a teaser for the evening local news and they said (paraphrasing) Boeing was testing and performed a functional check on a military aircraft that was required by contract.

Maybe TX stretching it's legs? Odd to me that they would be allowed to do a supersonic test over this area, perhaps an oops? Guesses or insight on what or why?

posted on Mar, 4 2019 @ 05:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Badgermole42

The test would not have to be "over the area" for the shock wave to affect the area.

posted on Mar, 4 2019 @ 05:11 PM
link   
Over 30k and a phone call or on a corridor it’s doable. Functional check flights for engines or flight controls so a bump over certain Mach speeds are required to test limiters on certain flight control systems like rudder(s) or engine performance.

Wonder what plane.

posted on Mar, 4 2019 @ 05:34 PM
link   
a reply to: glib2

Boeing does final assembly on the Rhinos in St. Louis, so possibly a shakedown flight. Saab and Boeing (Boaab?) are doimg the T--X trainer work in StL also.

I always forget, but think the Eagles may come from the same facility. Maybe they are trying to crank out 70 F-15X models as quick as they can and had some quality control issue's.
edit on 4-3-2019 by Badgermole42 because: Just a typo, That's all, really.

posted on Mar, 4 2019 @ 06:48 PM
link   

The F-15X won't be funded until the FY-20/21 budget. They won't build them until at least then. It's almost certainly T-X envelope expansion.

posted on Mar, 4 2019 @ 06:55 PM
link   
It's possible it was a test aircraft but they'll do that over the desert (MOA) or over the ocean from a test area. Supersonic requires FAA coordination and approval from the Black Box crowd. It isn't usually granted unless it's a must do to support some type of project.

I was at George AFB in 1978 and took pics of a pilot who slipped off the range and went Super with his F-16. The shock was so bad he put the old man in the hospital and destroyed his shack. It even cracked the cement casing of his deep well and broke the pump. His quiet reimbursement included a new home elsewhere his property become part of the Edwards Test Range.

I was told by the investigating officer the cause was a program error involving engine thrust. I do know it brought down the old boy's roof, broke anything breakable and flattened the place. I never heard how much he got but I was told he made out like a bandit.

posted on Mar, 4 2019 @ 07:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

I shoulda thrown a little sarcasm thingamadobob after the F-15X comment, poor attempt at humor. Maybe I should have said MQ-25.

They used to shake down AV-8Bs at our airport, so the T--X immediately occurred to me...no good reason, just associated that.

Thanks to all for current and future replys.

posted on Mar, 4 2019 @ 09:58 PM
link   

edit on 4-3-2019 by dubiousatworst because: didn't add anything meaningful sry

posted on Mar, 4 2019 @ 10:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

The F-15X won't be funded until the FY-20/21 budget. They won't build them until at least then. It's almost certainly T-X envelope expansion.

Could the T-X testing also be a possible explanation for the boom heard over NC on sunday?
edit on 3 4 2019 by caterpillage because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2019 @ 10:37 PM
link   
a reply to: caterpillage

No, that was most likely one of the units from the area, or one from the East Coast.

posted on Mar, 5 2019 @ 04:38 AM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Apparently Boeing have admitted to the booms. This from the Daily Mail

www.dailymail.co.uk...

" Boeing said it was testing a military aircraft, but didnt elaborate "

top topics

join