It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Unethical business practices

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 4 2019 @ 10:36 AM
link   
If you knew the company you worked for did unethical business practices what would you do?

I am so tired of it because I do NOT work for the main company and yet I am held to standards for a company I do NOT work for! The shady stuff that goes on is so wrong. It is starting to get to me because it's like they lie to customers to get their product sold. I work for an independent insurance agency that is owned by the same family that owns a major insurance agency next door. One that is all over the country and one you see commercials for on your tv. What we do is so wrong and they know it yet they hide it! I am so over it because they lie and cheat to get the numbers they have. For example we had a flood campaign where I sent out emails to all our clients for flood. Well when they called or emailed back they wanted flood they made me and other give those sales to the other agency to boost their numbers! I was so angry as I am not employed by that company so why should MY work go to them?! This is just an example of what they do. Another is they made a friend of mine give her sales to another agent so he could win a contest to go to Vegas! He didn't even get the sales, SHE DID and they made her have him put them in as if he got them so he would have the right numbers. That is cheating! He didn't earn that trip, he cheated!

I have recorded our meetings for a year because we are in no way suppose to work with the other side and if the main company knew heads would roll. They even joke about people turning them in and they never having proof. It is NOT funny to me when you lie, cheat and steal your way to the top! The owner loves to brag about the awards they win but they are won dishonestly and unfairly by cheating.

I am so frustrated! I like what I do but I HATE who I work for.

posted on Mar, 4 2019 @ 10:41 AM
link   
a reply to: mblahnikluver

You can anonymously contact the HR department at the parent company and potentially initiate an investigation. This opens a can of worms as from what you describe retaliation might be in the offing even though that is also illegal.

I think you should just move to Paris and give tours in English to all the tourists. I know someone who did that but in Rome, she makes a killing and you'll be happier.

posted on Mar, 4 2019 @ 10:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: mblahnikluver
If you knew the company you worked for did unethical business practices what would you do?

I am so tired of it because I do NOT work for the main company and yet I am held to standards for a company I do NOT work for! The shady stuff that goes on is so wrong. It is starting to get to me because it's like they lie to customers to get their product sold. I work for an independent insurance agency that is owned by the same family that owns a major insurance agency next door. One that is all over the country and one you see commercials for on your tv. What we do is so wrong and they know it yet they hide it! I am so over it because they lie and cheat to get the numbers they have. For example we had a flood campaign where I sent out emails to all our clients for flood. Well when they called or emailed back they wanted flood they made me and other give those sales to the other agency to boost their numbers! I was so angry as I am not employed by that company so why should MY work go to them?! This is just an example of what they do. Another is they made a friend of mine give her sales to another agent so he could win a contest to go to Vegas! He didn't even get the sales, SHE DID and they made her have him put them in as if he got them so he would have the right numbers. That is cheating! He didn't earn that trip, he cheated!

I have recorded our meetings for a year because we are in no way suppose to work with the other side and if the main company knew heads would roll. They even joke about people turning them in and they never having proof. It is NOT funny to me when you lie, cheat and steal your way to the top! The owner loves to brag about the awards they win but they are won dishonestly and unfairly by cheating.

I am so frustrated! I like what I do but I HATE who I work for.

Quit and go work for another company if you believe your employer is not being ethical.

posted on Mar, 4 2019 @ 10:51 AM
link   

That sounds like a job for your state ethics commission.

www.ncsl.org...

Always have your attorney at the ready when taking action against a Corporation. If they retaliate against you, bustem wide open!!

It's an advantage to be Union when you see ethics or workplace violations..
edit on 4-3-2019 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2019 @ 10:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

You can anonymously contact the HR department at the parent company and potentially initiate an investigation. This opens a can of worms as from what you describe retaliation might be in the offing even though that is also illegal.

I think you should just move to Paris and give tours in English to all the tourists. I know someone who did that but in Rome, she makes a killing and you'll be happier.

Haha I would SO enjoy that!!! I'm working on my jewelry art business so hopefully in time I will only work for myself and be moving to Holland!

It is insane because all of us here can't stand what they do. People have quit as a result and reported them but nobody kept documentation. I do only because I have had it with companies like this getting away with it and forcing employees to lie and cheat on their behalf.

posted on Mar, 4 2019 @ 11:06 AM
link   
My solution was to become an entrepreneur. Eliminates needy bosses, eliminates middle management, increases personal and financial responsibility.

posted on Mar, 4 2019 @ 11:08 AM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

I have looked for a job for over a year. It's not that easy to just get a new job. You also missed the point of my post. They are LYING to get sales and recognition. It's wrong. Was it ok WellsFargo made fake accounts to get numbers? Yes, no difference here.

posted on Mar, 4 2019 @ 11:11 AM
link   

20's - Gather up evidence over time, start a complaint, be assaulted by the CEO and fired on the spot in front of half the firms staff. Opened a can of worms for quite a while.

30's - Set a date, stick to it, walk away and either start your own business or chase a passion that will pay the bills if possible.

Pick your battles especially within the financial services industry that has a revolving door policy

edit on 4-3-2019 by XXXN3O because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2019 @ 11:18 AM
link   

I would say contact your state government for advice. They should be able to direct you to the proper agency.

Do not go to your local government!
Way to likely that a prominent business owner is a golfing buddy with some local electorate.

posted on Mar, 4 2019 @ 11:26 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

she makes a killing

Does she have a special room for that? Have you totally NOT been to Rome to give her a hand?

posted on Mar, 4 2019 @ 11:27 AM
link   

I have looked for a job for over a year. It's not that easy to just get a new job. You also missed the point of my post. They are LYING to get sales and recognition. It's wrong. Was it ok WellsFargo made fake accounts to get numbers? Yes, no difference here.

Unemployment is low. You work in insurance, there are plenty of other insurance companies and agents hiring. You just don't have the balls to quit.

Yes, some companies are unethical. It really so much isn't the company, but your particular agent. File a complaint with the state regulator. However, unless you can show some serious malfeasance, the odds of it being acted on are slim to none. Regulators have much larger fish to fry. I work in mortgage business. I've been around my share of dirtbags. Salesman gaming sales stats is nothing new, but most regulators won't GAF about something like that.

Simply go work for a better agent.

posted on Mar, 4 2019 @ 11:37 AM
link   

i did sales once for british gas, i got sacked after 6 weeks because i was crap at it, told people the truth like they would save £20 a year by switching over, so nobody bothered, most sales staff lied and said like the savings would be £300 or more over the year, i just couldn't do it.

posted on Mar, 4 2019 @ 11:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: MindBodySpiritComplex
Does she have a special room for that? Have you totally NOT been to Rome to give her a hand?

I have, and it's called the Colosseum.

posted on Mar, 4 2019 @ 12:04 PM
link   

No, he did NOT miss the point of your post. You missed his, as usual. Nearly every thread you have made over the years is about the Bad Guys (tm) doing something bad or "unethical" to you, so you come here and seek co-dependents to agree with your every assertion. The World somehow ALWAYS manages to dump on poor, ethical you. But when people suggest viable solutions to you, you always find a way to say that won't work for you and that somehow they are wrong. You always present yourself as the victim.

If you've truly been 'looking for a job for a year' unsuccessfully, then tells you something: No one wants to hire you. Why is that? It reminds me of the book, "30 seconds over Tokyo" about the Billy Mitchell raid during WWII. The author crash landed in China and broke his leg. They carried him from village to village trying to avoid the Japanese. He couldn't understand why every village smelled so bad. Then he learned the truth. His leg had developed gangrene. That's what smelled. It had to be amputated.

Now here's the bottom line. If you stay under the circumstanaces you have outlined, then YOU ARE PART OF THE PROBLEM. Stop whining, get off your butt, and find something that matches your "ethics" to do.

posted on Mar, 4 2019 @ 12:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

originally posted by: MindBodySpiritComplex

I have, and it's called the Colosseum.

Best thing I’ve read all day!

You are just one giant troll. And I love reading your replies.
You go man

posted on Mar, 4 2019 @ 01:05 PM
link   

First of all, I doubt there is a company that is totally 100% legit, moral, good, ethical. There will always be something. It is just a matter of how much can you live with.
I had a big moral issue with a company that I worked for, big pharma.

I remember when people with AIDS were protesting outside our building because they raised the prices of the medications. We were constantly being told that the prices were needed to keep research going. Yes that is true, but it is also true that many of the people that worked there could afford to buy a small island. ( I'm not even joking about that)

I quit, and it felt great and I never looked back.

edit on 4-3-2019 by JAGStorm because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2019 @ 01:45 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

Ya know what really sucks about that. I defend those that make those decisions.
I put my morals aside and do the deed.

The big pharma companies DO NOT have your best interest in mind. They operate to exploit you. Keep that in mind folks.
Also keep in mind that the ACA is a joke just to make money. Good on Trump to remove such an attack on us.

posted on Mar, 4 2019 @ 02:33 PM
link   
Here is a tip for your job search. Most online job applications are filtered through a program to find the best candidates and reduce the number of applications to be considered. They use keywords similar to how a search engine functions. There are websites that compare your resume to the keywords in a job posting to see if you have it covered. If you don't have enough keywords in your resume or application, it automatically gets deleted and no one ever sees it.

I suspect that not every keyword is posted in any given job posting. So what I do now is look at every job posting for a particular job opportunity and make a list of prominent keywords most often used and use them as much as possible in my resumes (I make several resumes for different positions). My resumes are optimized for such keywords to increase the chances of them getting viewed. The only way you can be sure your application is actually looked at and not deleted is by physically filling out one in the office where the job is being offered.

Actually talking with people and networking works the best compared to online applications. You can make an impression and be remembered when they look at applicants before you get an interview. Experience isn't always the most important consideration for the company doing the hiring, your personality and attitude has a lot to do with getting hired in.

ETA: Whistle blowers aren't usually considered a good choice for hire and there is a blacklist out there so be careful.
edit on 4-3-2019 by MichiganSwampBuck because: Added additional comments

posted on Mar, 4 2019 @ 03:34 PM
link   
define "unethical business practices" Thirty years ago unethical included half of what businesses are doing nowadays. I worked for companies that would promote selling things to people who did not need them in the past, that is happening way more these days. You go out and buy a really beautiful cake full of food coloring and unnatural chemistry for your kids birthday party. It costs a hundred bucks and tastes like sugary crap instead of like a good nutritious product. The women rave about how good it looks and comment that it tastes good for being a cake like that. Yet if they were given that piece of cake without seeing the cake, they would probably say it is too fake tasting. Being polite is spewing deceit around, say the cake tastes like crap and buy a cake from someone who makes great tasting homemade cakes, not great looking cakes riddled with many hours of work to make them look good.

Deceit is spread by people everyday backing unethical business practices, people say someone got their job done quickly, yet do not understand it is a shabby job so promote substandard work. I have worked in many professions in my lifetime and have seen deceit everywhere. I tried to run my business honestly, choosing customers who were honest too. I was fussy, I made less because I was fussy, but I have few regrets about what I have done in the past.

I worked for a lumber yard in sales, there was a person there who would steal sales so he would have the highest sales. He took some of mine while I was off for my vacation and I learned of it from the managers of the lumber yard, they gave me the commission I was due but did not reprimand the person doing it, I had asked for pricing from the managers on some stuff on the order, so they knew I had sold it.
edit on 4-3-2019 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2019 @ 03:35 PM
link   
a reply to: MichiganSwampBuck

ETA: Whistle blowers aren't usually considered a good choice for hire and there is a blacklist out there so be careful.

YES this! Keep in mind HR is 10000000000% to protect the interests of the company. They make it like it is there
to protect the employees but it isn't.

also on a side note, you should start a thread on unknown job search tips, you gave some good advice!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join