It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists turn CO2 into solid carbon in breakthrough experiment

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 4 2019 @ 08:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: LookingAtMars

originally posted by: UncleTomahawk
How is co2 bad for the environment?

IMO think dirty co2 is bad but clean co2 is good.

Ionization tech exist that turn exhaust fumes into a cleaner version of them selves.

I think CO2 is just CO2, it can't be clean or dirty. The air the CO2 is in can be clean or dirty.

Yea i am not the best at scientific details but who needs em anyway....amirite?

Maybe not but my greater point is look at the exhaust coming out of a diesel engine. We have become conditioned to think it is the co2 in it that is a problem. The truth as i know it is that we have technology right now that can scrub that exhaust and get all the black suit out of it.

I see this as a problem cause they are reporting some of the ice up in the cold zone north of here is covered in black particulates.

I just do not see the need to turn clean co2 into carbon but someone smarter than me just may.

I like these threads though and think the op was wise for posting.

posted on Mar, 4 2019 @ 02:59 PM
link   
That is a pretty cool trick!

Now if you could get it to self-assemble in a honeycomb pattern... lol!

Here is another idea I posted on my dead thread (lol): CO2-capturing artificial leaves ready to leave the lab.

He is reducing CO2 down to CO and recombining into syth-fuel. The guy who has Bill Gates backing is doing the same thing but on a larger scale.

I like seeing ideas like these! Turn CO2 into concrete, bio-fuels, or back to coal itself! Heck, use it as a working fluid in your supercritical turbine, then turn it into another form using some of the energy you created!

You know what they say, one man's garbage...

posted on Mar, 4 2019 @ 11:57 PM
link   
turn the carbon into carbon fiber and use it to build buildings with it.

6 inch Polystyrene extruded foam laminated between two sheets carbon fiber to form a lightweight but very strong and rigid surface able to be used for building homes in very cold areas.

posted on Mar, 13 2019 @ 10:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: ANNED
turn the carbon into carbon fiber and use it to build buildings with it.

6 inch Polystyrene extruded foam laminated between two sheets carbon fiber to form a lightweight but very strong and rigid surface able to be used for building homes in very cold areas.

Carbon fiber industry get carbon from much cheaper method than capture CO2 from air and electrolysis. Like 100 times cheaper.

posted on Mar, 13 2019 @ 10:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: TEOTWAWKIAIFF

Here is another idea I posted on my dead thread (lol): CO2-capturing artificial leaves ready to leave the lab.

He is reducing CO2 down to CO and recombining into syth-fuel. The guy who has Bill Gates backing is doing the same thing but on a larger scale.

I like seeing ideas like these! Turn CO2 into concrete, bio-fuels, or back to coal itself! Heck, use it as a working fluid in your supercritical turbine, then turn it into another form using some of the energy you created!

It's very expensive to build such a factory and operate. It costs like 100 USD to just capture 1 ton of CO2, and that's not including electrolysis. Current method of getting CO2 to put into coca cola is far cheaper than that method.

posted on Mar, 13 2019 @ 10:05 AM
link   
The most efficient method of getting CO2 and C have already been done. Trying to mine gold from a hundred year old gold mine ain't that easy.

It's like trying to discover another theorem in maths after people have been discovering math theorems for centuries. What is easy has already been done. What is hard is likely not doable.
edit on 13-3-2019 by HaiTaiChen because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2019 @ 11:10 AM
link   
Seems silly to use electricity to turn CO2 back into coal when you could just use solar for electricity and avoid the dilemma altogether.

If you want to make a quick difference, Call your utility company and have them change your energy source to 100% renewable, it's often cheaper and it's a quick change. The technology for a renewable energy future is already here, we just have to start choosing it.

posted on Mar, 13 2019 @ 11:17 AM
link   
a reply to: LookingAtMars

While that is pretty cool it will never get scaled up. The thermodynamics are energy unfavorable so its a non-solution.

posted on Mar, 13 2019 @ 11:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: TEOTWAWKIAIFF

Turning CO2 to CO is really dangerous because that other O combines with O2 to make O3. O3 is lethal at very low concentration, like 0.3 parts per million.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join