It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Only college educated people should get to vote

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 4 2019 @ 08:20 AM
link   
a reply to: LSU2018

Riiiight and what would you consider a common sense test to consist of?

posted on Mar, 4 2019 @ 08:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: Lumenari

originally posted by: drz400
A true democracy, "of the people, by the people, for the people. There is no need for voting. No need for a leader. Only government voted workers who carry out the work of the votes. Everything could be voted for in real time online.

Worst. Idea. Ever.

Which is why our founders abhorred the idea of a direct Democracy.

I personally think that we should go back to the founder's first thoughts on voting though... only landowners should be able to vote.

You know, the people with actual skin in the game.

Land owners and people with a job that pay taxes.

posted on Mar, 4 2019 @ 08:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: SeenItBelieveIt

Your level of judgement in practical matters. Passing a test isn't impressive. It's cool and all, but it's not impressive. Common sense will take you a lot farther in life.

posted on Mar, 4 2019 @ 08:34 AM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

Having considered your OP I can say that I have long thought about the problem of the super-expansion of suffereage in the US via many mechanisms. The truth is the Republic died with the amendment providing for popular election of Senators to the US Senate.

So what has happened is that with the attacks on the Electoral College, the US is moving ever closer to a "Democracy" which will doubtless lead to a tyranny via a One Party government. California is already there.

The result of all this? Voting has become all but utterly pointless. If you are a young person, you can play this one of two ways, or maybe both, if you are really agile. In a One Party government, you join the party and move up the ranks to a position high enough you can steal buckets of bucks.

Or, you can be successful in the private sector and funnel money offshore and buy a home somewhere like Panama where you can leave to in your 50's.

That is pretty much what you are left with . But ifyou are young with kids, you best figure a way out before the next war.

posted on Mar, 4 2019 @ 08:35 AM
link   

posted on Mar, 4 2019 @ 08:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: neutronflux
Would that include degrees from religious based colleges? What about trade schools, or should serving in the military be the real gateway for a voting citizen?

I'd say serving in the military should be an auto-disqualification for voting.

those who can, do; those who can't, teach; those who can do neither, join the military;

Ah. I didn't realize I was talking to John Kerry. No wonder you're anti-common sense.

posted on Mar, 4 2019 @ 08:38 AM
link   

You can't even give me an example of a common sense question.

originally posted by: LSU2018

I think voting should be based on a common sense test.

Passing a test isn't impressive.

posted on Mar, 4 2019 @ 08:38 AM
link   

Sure maybe the mechanic needs the test, but so does the voter. I provided a link that pretty much sums up why. You can choose to ignore it, but to say it doesn't matter is wrong.

Ok, you got a link that says american people are "stupid". Did i say it doesnt matter?

Ok, so you believe that a dictatorship works much better. Take away the power to vote, and you will be just that, a dictator! Youre no different than people like Hitler, Stalin, Kim Jong Ill, etc.

If people are undereducated or ignorant, how about teaching them stuff then? You sound like the church when you say youre believe system is the only right one, and everybody else can go to hell. Vote as I tell you to vote, or you dont get to vote at all! Sounds kind of ignorant to me...

If you where saying that everybody that wanted to vote, had to spend time studying all canditates and their policies before voting, i could get that. That would maybe be a good idea.
But to say, that you want to decide what is right and what is wrong, and determine who gets to vote based on youre belief system is just crazy!

Isis believe the same as you, to them, you have to believe the right things, and do as they tell you, cause that is what god (superior intelligence) tells you to do....

You could move to China. Over there they censur all the "bad" stuff, they dont want people to believe in, cause their leaders dont want the people to become "stupid" and change their "intelligent" way of living... That is what you want, right?

Did you ever stop to think that maybe it is the whole system that is flawed?
You have 2 choiches to vote on, and those choices are made for you. If one is so wrong, and the other is just a little better/worse, maybe you are the stupid one, for voting at all! just saying... Look at the bright side, atleast you have a 50/50 change of getting it "right"...

edit on 4 3 2019 by NoFearsEqualsFreeMan because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2019 @ 08:42 AM
link   

Don't act like you caught me up. You know what kind of test I'm saying isn't impressive to pass. If you don't, then you just failed your first common sense question.

posted on Mar, 4 2019 @ 08:43 AM
link   
What a load of guff. Please, please look at your history to see just why the USA became what it was. For a start the people that started the country were mainly British. AND the main reason they emigrated to the land mass of now America (cos it wasn't America then) was BECAUSE they had no say in Britain as it was ruled by, guess what, THE LANDOWNERS.
The whole war of independence was because they didn't want to be ruled by people that they had no say in electing. Have you never heard the mantra "no taxation without representation"
I cannot find any evidence that the first proper US government was voted on by landowners only.
Oh yes, stop the dumb ones voting, then the disabled because well they are a drain on the system, then only men not women. How many more do you want to take the vote off.
Democracy means ALL the people not just a selected few.

posted on Mar, 4 2019 @ 08:43 AM
link   

Don't act like you caught me up. You know what kind of test I'm saying isn't impressive to pass. If you don't, then you just failed your first common sense question.

And you have just proved that what is common sense to one person isn't common sense to another.

posted on Mar, 4 2019 @ 08:52 AM
link   

A math test? Economics? What tests do you like and which do you not? What kind of questions would appear on a common sense test?

I mean, a less educated man than myself might suggest you didn't do well at school and thus decided tests weren't applicable to real life learning.

posted on Mar, 4 2019 @ 08:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: TonyS

Having considered your OP I can say that I have long thought about the problem of the super-expansion of suffereage in the US via many mechanisms. The truth is the Republic died with the amendment providing for popular election of Senators to the US Senate.

So what has happened is that with the attacks on the Electoral College, the US is moving ever closer to a "Democracy" which will doubtless lead to a tyranny via a One Party government. California is already there.

The result of all this? Voting has become all but utterly pointless. If you are a young person, you can play this one of two ways, or maybe both, if you are really agile. In a One Party government, you join the party and move up the ranks to a position high enough you can steal buckets of bucks.

Or, you can be successful in the private sector and funnel money offshore and buy a home somewhere like Panama where you can leave to in your 50's.

That is pretty much what you are left with . But ifyou are young with kids, you best figure a way out before the next war.

I have seen friends of mine attack the electoral college, basically because they did not understand how it works. This is exactly part of the problem.
I would say if you are young with kids be very careful which state you live in, I would not stay in Illinois, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, or California, probably a few others. Individual states will feel the pain first before the entire nation.

posted on Mar, 4 2019 @ 09:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: crayzeed
What a load of guff. Please, please look at your history to see just why the USA became what it was. For a start the people that started the country were mainly British. AND the main reason they emigrated to the land mass of now America (cos it wasn't America then) was BECAUSE they had no say in Britain as it was ruled by, guess what, THE LANDOWNERS.
The whole war of independence was because they didn't want to be ruled by people that they had no say in electing. Have you never heard the mantra "no taxation without representation"
I cannot find any evidence that the first proper US government was voted on by landowners only.
Oh yes, stop the dumb ones voting, then the disabled because well they are a drain on the system, then only men not women. How many more do you want to take the vote off.

The US is not a Democracy, but a Republic

posted on Mar, 4 2019 @ 09:07 AM
link   

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Mar, 4 2019 @ 09:09 AM
link   
Plato had it right...Can you imagine a mob rules America, with voters who regularly vote for "the Bachelor" or " American idol " deciding our future?

" and to the republic, for which it stands "

posted on Mar, 4 2019 @ 09:11 AM
link   
In American English, the definition of a republic refers specifically to a form of government in which elected individuals represent the citizen body and exercise power according to the rule of law under a constitution, including seperation of powers with an elected head of state, referred to as a constitutional republic or a representative democracy.
The optimal word there is democracy. Whether you like it or not the USA is an elected democracy.

posted on Mar, 4 2019 @ 09:13 AM
link   

In American English, the definition of a republic refers specifically to a form of government in which elected individuals represent the citizen body and exercise power according to the rule of law under a constitution, including seperation of powers with an elected head of state, referred to as a constitutional republic or a representative democracy.
The optimal word there is democracy. Whether you like it or not the USA is an elected democracy.

Great article:
thehill.com...
Here are some of the highlights:

The Framers knew that in its pure form democracy could be dangerous. The writings of the founding era are replete with warnings of this fact: “Real liberty is not found in the extremes of democracy, but in moderate governments,” Alexander Hamilton wrote. “If we incline too much to democracy we shall soon shoot into a monarchy, or some other form of a dictatorship.” Thomas Jefferson lamented that “a democracy is nothing more than mob rule, where 51 percent of the people may take away the rights of the other 49.” James Madison argued that democracies “have ever been spectacles of turbulence and contention; have ever been incompatible with personal security or the rights of property; and have in general been as short in their lives as they have been violent in their deaths.” John Adams concluded that democracy “never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.”

posted on Mar, 4 2019 @ 09:14 AM
link   
The gist of the sentiment expressed in the OP is something I can agree with, and is something our founders also agreed with. The "common man" is a moron, and is prone to having his thoughts hijacked by a cult of personality or a whim of stupidity. In modern ages, with the constant hum of media, we see this manifest in ideas like, "There is more than 2 genders".

The problem is, im no college graduate and I don't think many folks would allege that i am too stupid to vote. And in the end, the right of the individual to have a say in how our Republic is steered overcomes my right to not have drooling idiots electing people like AOC.
edit on 3/4/2019 by bigfatfurrytexan because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2019 @ 09:27 AM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

See, I wanted to give you a star and say good point. But then you mentioned your not a college graduate.

Do you not think there is more than 1 gender?

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join