It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Only college educated people should get to vote

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 3 2019 @ 06:59 PM
link   
a reply to: strongfp

umm, alot of those in the military down own real estate, why would they bother if they are reassigned here and there so often? do you believe that those in our military should have the right to vote for their commander in chief?

posted on Mar, 3 2019 @ 07:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: strongfp
a reply to: xuenchen

You're right. But it can also go both ways when only a few can represent a lot.

The state of Vermont has more electoral power than new York right now. Is that fair?

Vermont currently has 3 electoral votes.

New York currently has 29 electoral votes.

29 is a larger number than 3.

I'm sensing that a civics class isn't the only thing that is a problem with our conversation....

You have a good night.
edit on 3-3-2019 by Lumenari because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2019 @ 07:07 PM
link   

a reply to: xuenchen

You're right. But it can also go both ways when only a few can represent a lot.

The state of Vermont has more electoral power than new York right now. Is that fair?

How so ? 😆

posted on Mar, 3 2019 @ 07:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: drewlander
How about only 3rd generation american citizens should get to vote?

Lets add to this that people with dual citizenship lose their right to vote.

posted on Mar, 3 2019 @ 07:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: SRPrime

originally posted by: Lumenari

originally posted by: drz400
A true democracy, "of the people, by the people, for the people. There is no need for voting. No need for a leader. Only government voted workers who carry out the work of the votes. Everything could be voted for in real time online.

Worst. Idea. Ever.

Which is why our founders abhorred the idea of a direct Democracy.

I personally think that we should go back to the founder's first thoughts on voting though... only landowners should be able to vote.

You know, the people with actual skin in the game.

That's the best way to make sure the people without skin in the game never GET to have skin in the game. Rich people don't care about poor people; that's why they are rich. If they only got to vote, they'd only vote for others that do not care about the rest of the population.

So you have to be rich to own property?

I was not aware of that.

posted on Mar, 3 2019 @ 07:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blueracer
A college degree does not equal intelligence. Not having a college degree does not equal stupidity.

And as we can see from stuff currently going on on college campuses, having a college degree doesn't mean knowing even the basics of civics, either.

posted on Mar, 3 2019 @ 07:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: drz400
A true democracy, "of the people, by the people, for the people. There is no need for voting for a leader. No need for one. Only online voted in workers who carry out the work of the votes. Everything could be voted for in real time online. No lobbyists, no ads, only true facts given before a vote takes place.

We don't have a democracy. We have a representative republic.

posted on Mar, 3 2019 @ 07:47 PM
link   

It's not hard to get real estate? Uhh almost 40 percent of americans dont own property of some sort in the us.

Some people would rather spend their money on entertainment and other things than on a piece of property. Their choice.

posted on Mar, 3 2019 @ 07:47 PM
link   
well as someone who's halfway through a degree I haven't really learned much about anything other than technology so it honestly wouldn't help anyway

posted on Mar, 3 2019 @ 07:48 PM
link   

a reply to: Lumenari

It's not hard to get real estate? Uhh almost 40 percent of americans dont own property of some sort in the us. Guess they're bottom rung. Ship em out. Useless garbage.

Technically Democratic leaders call those "Useless Eaters". Google Kissinger for that quote.

But no, don't ship anyone out because they are not, to use your words, garbage.

They are potential property owners, after all.

They are simply people that can live the American dream, if they choose to do so.

If they don't, then why should they be in a position to vote to not succeed?

Should they be compensated and given a living wage that is paid for by people that do want to succeed?

Again... is it OK to you to take from people that work hard to give to people that don't want to?

Is that.... fair?

posted on Mar, 3 2019 @ 07:54 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

As a guy with a college education, terrible idea.

Here's my proposal: every ballot has 10 multiple choice questions taken at random from the most recent quiz given to people who are becoming naturalized citizens. Your vote value is equivalent to your percentage score. If you know your civics and score 100%, your vote is not modified. If you get 50% correct, your vote is worth 0.5 of a full vote, etc.
edit on 3-3-2019 by Teikiatsu because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2019 @ 08:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blueracer
A college degree does not equal intelligence. Not having a college degree does not equal stupidity.

Your statement is half right and half wrong.

Traditionally, a four year college degree curriculum was designed so that a person with a "high normal" IQ could earn a Bachelor degree with hard work. The "normal" range of IQ scores extends from one standard deviation below the average to one standard deviation above. The standard deviation of the bell curve that describes the distribution of intelligence in the population is approximately 15 IQ points. So, a "normal" IQ is considered to be in the range of 85 to 115, and therefore a "high normal" IQ is 115. The process of obtaining a college degree does statistically screen out those in the population with lower than average IQs. This process is facilitated by the practice of using college entrance exams such as the Scholastic Aptitude Test (SAT) and the Graduate Record Exam (GRE) to competitively admit students to college. Historically, the SAT and the GRE basically were IQ tests. You can get into high IQ societies like MENSA on the basis of your SAT or GRE scores (if those tests were pre-1975). Therefore the population of those with college degrees is statistically more intelligent than the population of those without.

However, this doesn't say anything about the relative intelligence of any two individuals randomly selected out of the population, and this is the part of your statement where you are right. Within Psychology, "intelligence" is traditionally defined as something like "the capacity for complex thought". Intelligence is thought of as being the intrinsic ability to think quickly, deeply, and broadly, while making use of a multitude of facts. People who have that ability and apply it toward getting a formal education are usually able to go far, in terms of earning college degrees. However, if a person has a high IQ but does not apply that ability toward getting a formal education for whatever reason, that person does not stop being intelligent. I personally know several individuals in that category.

posted on Mar, 3 2019 @ 08:05 PM
link   
Honestly, a college education is not going to deter people from simply voting the party line. Spending thousands on an education doesn't guarantee wisdom, nor common sense.

posted on Mar, 3 2019 @ 08:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm
I do think it would be interesting to make citizens pass a basic US government test before voting.

That makes *slightly* more sense, so why the click-bait thread title?

Or did I just answer my own question?

posted on Mar, 3 2019 @ 08:33 PM
link   
a reply to: roadgravel

and, some people might chose not to invest in real estate that they know they will have to unload in the near future because of their job!! I mentioned servicemen and women, but there are others out there that are often relocated to other branches of their companies. This isn't the 1700's, we are much more mobile and many find it rather inconvenient to be tied down by a house and would rather rent. considering how our housing market seems to tank in regular intervals, can't blame them.

posted on Mar, 3 2019 @ 08:34 PM
link   

It's all relative to the population size... more people are misrepresented in NY compared to VT. But hey math lies, civics a social study is truth.

posted on Mar, 3 2019 @ 08:36 PM
link   
a reply to: dawnstar

I'm arguing in favor of those who dont own land. Or real estate.

posted on Mar, 3 2019 @ 08:41 PM
link   

It's all relative to the population size... more people are misrepresented in NY compared to VT. But hey math lies, civics a social study is truth.

So at the end of the day, our conversation comes the end because to you, math lies.

I wish you could understand my frustration when I talk to Democrats who assure me that if they take more money out of my pocket then I will have more money.

But I just have to walk away with the understanding that there is about 23% of my country that does not understand how it was built, why it was made that way and why it is actually a great country.

And they vote.

And they can't do basic math.

And here we are.

The OP was about if stupid people should be allowed to vote.

Democrats want a democracy in our country.

“Democracy is a pathetic belief in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance. No one in this world, so far as I know—and I have researched the records for years, and employed agents to help me—has ever lost money by underestimating the intelligence of the great masses of the plain people. Nor has anyone ever lost public office thereby.”

― H.L. Mencken, Notes on Democracy

We are eventually going to get that, I think.

What you don't seem to understand is that what you want is going to kill you and a great many others.

Then the rest of us will have to rebuild, we'll get things going good again and then the cancer that is Democracy will happen again.

So be it.

edit on 3-3-2019 by Lumenari because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2019 @ 08:41 PM
link   
A basic government test before voting?

Most drug people and very unintelligent people do not even vote unless there is something in it for them. We had a great turnout in our election last time because there was a vote to legalize pot.

Where do you draw the line, at an IQ of a hundred? How about just saying over a hundred sixty are allowed to vote. That would exclude ninety nine percent of the people. I would not have to wait in line though.

The Democrats are trying to convince people that only Dems are intelligent, they want the educated people to vote their way. That is a fallacy that these Democrats are promoting. Many of the non-college people have way more common sense than the college graduates. Evidently the College graduates are not very smart if they cannot see they are being played.

posted on Mar, 3 2019 @ 08:44 PM
link   

The American dream is vastly different from what you think it is. You're proposing that those who dont own real estate are worthless citizens.

If someone lives in an apartment complex of 200 should that landlord be the vice of those 200 people?

Btw stop being so condescending to those who argue with you and call out your ridiculous ideas that those who want to achieve the American dream dont have the right to vote. And you wonder why desperate political extremes exist. By the way the founding fathers of the US knew that uneducated farmers needed a voice, hence why the electoral college exists, so you wanting to revert back to 1776 would incorporate people with less than grade 3 education.

Hell, I have a better education than Benjamin Franklin and Washington. Does that mean they couldn't vote either?

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join