It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Free Speech is dying

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 3 2019 @ 01:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: MyToxicTash
a reply to: MadLad

Because it shows why there should be limits on free speech.
Unless you agree pedos should be able to talk to kids online. so what is it? are you going to defend pedo's rights to talk online to kids or do you agree with the UK law that they should not be able to?.
Not that hard to understand is it?.

So you believe child grooming is a form of free speech? Jesus.

posted on Mar, 3 2019 @ 01:55 PM
link   
a reply to: MyToxicTash

Pedophiles talking to kids could also be argued as an infringement of the rights of the child so it could be justified in shutting down.

Me offering an opinion that hurts your feelings, isn't.

posted on Mar, 3 2019 @ 01:58 PM
link   

No I do not but Les sure argued for it you should remember.

posted on Mar, 3 2019 @ 02:01 PM
link   
No. What he’s (or she) is saying is, if there are no limits on free speech then a paedo should technically be allowed to talk sexually to a child. Which is a clever point but I can’t help feeling that free speech should be limited be the age of consent not the content of the free speech.

If that makes sense.

link   

originally posted by: MyToxicTash

No I do not but Les sure argued for it you should remember.

I’m sure you properly represented their argument. But I don’t know. Sounds like a loaded question without any basis.

All I know is I look at history and I see the champions of free speech and know I’m in good company. I see those who propose limits on speech and know that they are not.
edit on 3-3-2019 by MadLad because: (no reason given)

link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Offering opinions should never be illegal but talking to kids online is in the UK. Les Misrables used to argue that those laws should not exist due to denying pedos right to free speech.
Just pointing out that true freedom of speech can not exist.

posted on Mar, 3 2019 @ 02:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: and14263
No. What he’s (or she) is saying is, if there are no limits on free speech then a paedo should technically be allowed to talk sexually to a child. Which is a clever point but I can’t help feeling that free speech should be limited be the age of consent not the content of the free speech.

If that makes sense.

Don’t even ponder the question around these censors. They seem like the type who would run and tattle.

posted on Mar, 3 2019 @ 02:07 PM
link   
a reply to: MyToxicTash

But it's not "speech".

Sure, there may be "talking" involved, but free expression is NEVER tacit approval to infringe upon the rights of anyone else.

posted on Mar, 3 2019 @ 02:10 PM
link   
To be fair it was a pretty clever counter point against the prospect of limitless free speech. It’s a point I’ll be using in debates with close friends.

posted on Mar, 3 2019 @ 02:14 PM
link   

To be fair it was a pretty clever counter point against the prospect of limitless free speech. It’s a point I’ll be using in debates with close friends.

What about Sex Education? Is that illegal if done online?

posted on Mar, 3 2019 @ 02:29 PM
link   
Is it false to say mob action, shouting down speakers, and fear are used at tax dollar back campuses to prevent speakers from giving speeches? With very little regard for the speakers right to free speech, and right not to be harassed?

You can keep saying there is no attack on free speech in America. And if you tell the lie often enough, you might actually believe it.

posted on Mar, 3 2019 @ 02:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: neutronflux
Is it false to say mob action, shouting down speakers, and fear are used at tax dollar back campuses to prevent speakers from giving speeches? With very little regard for the speakers right to free speech, and right not to be harassed?

You can keep saying there is no attack on free speech in America. And if you tell the lie often enough, you might actually believe it.

Of course it isn’t false. You can get persecuted wearing a hat. But, as thost who don’t really care would say, “don’t like it? Don’t wear the hat”.

posted on Mar, 3 2019 @ 02:38 PM
link   
I have never been a fan of hate crime legislation, and how it backdoors the freedom of speech.

Police in Pennsylvania Are Abusing the State's Hate Crime Law to Punish Speech
www.aclu.org...

In Pennsylvania, as in many other states, an ethnic intimidation charge is an “up charge,” meaning the suspect faces harsher discipline under the law. Robbie Sanderson, for example, was charged with “terroristic threats,” a first-degree misdemeanor. The additional ethnic intimidation charge, however, is a third-degree felony that carries a maximum of sentence of seven years’ incarceration. That was Sanderson’s only felony that day.

posted on Mar, 3 2019 @ 02:39 PM
link   

Sex Ed has a purpose. It’s done in classes.

If sex Ed was delivered via an online class and the parents of the students consented that would be ok.

It would have to be ‘official’ curriculum sex Ed. Not some freelance paedo on a webcam.

Your question is not really related to anything unless I missed something.

posted on Mar, 3 2019 @ 02:44 PM
link   

I’m just trying to find where your line is drawn and if there is any principle hidden in there.

If you believe a line should be drawn, then you should know someone with the authority to draw that line. I just want to know where should the line be, and who should draw it?

These are difficult questions to answer. In my mind they are insoluble, but in others the answers come easy. “Oh, the government should decide”. “It’s against the law”. “Don’t like it, move.” It’s all relativist and authoritarian casuistry. This thinking leads them to apathy. But when someone is sentenced to execution for blasphemy, or investigated for a tweet, “don’t like it, move” no longer suffices.
edit on 3-3-2019 by MadLad because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2019 @ 02:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: TerryDon79

originally posted by: TruthxIsxInxThexMist

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus
a reply to: TruthxIsxInxThexMist

Did I miss something? Did the US Government crack down on free speech?

Have you not been paying attention to the news outlets? Social media outlets? Shutting people down... people who tell the truth. If we can't have the truth, what do we have?

You mean the internet? Where free speech has pretty much never existed? The thing that’s GLOBAL and not limited to a single country?

Here’s a real simple solution: Don’t like the rules? Don’t use the site. *simples*

In other words you want to shut me down... shut me down for telling the truth.

Look what happened to David Icke recently... being refused entry into australia just because he has views and opinions and wants to get the truth out.

posted on Mar, 3 2019 @ 03:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nyiah

a reply to: olaru12

We may b able to post on social media sites but if what we post is deemed offensive to some, that post gets deleted. Take ATS for example. We are having our thoughts and opinions shut down. If we can't have an opinion, then what is the point?

Privately owned & run forum is private, whatever the three amigos decide for rules & etiquette is what they decide, regardless of whether or not you agree with them, or want to clutch a box of tampons and cry about it.

Big freakin' difference between government not being able to legally tell you to STFU, and owners of places you traipse into.

just so we get things straight... I'm not crying... merely pointing out that free speech is being shut down. Free thought is being shut down.

posted on Mar, 3 2019 @ 03:12 PM
link   
a reply to: and14263

certain people should not have free speech.

posted on Mar, 3 2019 @ 03:15 PM
link   
a reply to: TruthxIsxInxThexMist

Who?.

posted on Mar, 3 2019 @ 03:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nyiah

a reply to: olaru12

We may b able to post on social media sites but if what we post is deemed offensive to some, that post gets deleted. Take ATS for example. We are having our thoughts and opinions shut down. If we can't have an opinion, then what is the point?

Privately owned & run forum is private, whatever the three amigos decide for rules & etiquette is what they decide, regardless of whether or not you agree with them, or want to clutch a box of tampons and cry about it.

Big freakin' difference between government not being able to legally tell you to STFU, and owners of places you traipse into.

just so we get things straight... I'm not crying... merely pointing out that free speech is being shut down. Free thought is being shut down.

To be blunt, you don't understand what freedom of speech within the limits of the law is to begin with, and are on one hell of an entitlement pedestal.

Let's be clear, and try this again.

Government cannot tell you "Unapproved political talk bad, STFU or go to jail."

What is legal by citizens in businesses and private property where they're allowed to establish rules & etiquette to their liking within reason:
"We already clearly posted what we want behaviorally and conversationally as conducive to what we feel to be an inviting environment for clientele. STFU & get out, I'm not telling you twice."

What part of this do people not effing understand?
Meh, evidently everything. People are simply so spoiled and functionally stupid that they think two completely different situations have the same definition anymore. Now that's being a revisionist.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join