It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Free Speech is dying

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 3 2019 @ 12:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: MadLad

originally posted by: TerryDon79

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Free speech is a human right, and as far as I can tell, not all humans live in the United States.

So? We can say pretty much whatever we want here.

Move, change it or suck it up.

To some, the denial of fundamental human rights is an issue worth fighting for. Whether you care about it or not is literally no one’s concern but your own.

You mean like allowing pedophiles to go up to children and say whatever they like?

I seriously hope you’re not a parent.

That escalated quickly.

Not really. It’s their ”free speech” after all. Something you’re completely 100% for.

I don’t understand what you’re getting at.

100% free speech is a myth and, in the real world, doesn’t work.

Try coming up to me and start talking to my 1 month old and you’re a pedo (or say things inappropriate), and expect your “free speech” to be met with my censoring fist.

I don’t blame you.

You should! I’m infringing on someones “free speech”.

Bad me!

I still don’t get it. Sorry.

Of course you don’t. You obviously learned after your bans, not to stock up for pedophiles “free speech”.

Happy to see you’re learning! (even if it does go against your total free speech bs)

What?

Well, hopefully you’d punch any predator who approached your child, whether he spoke or not.

See? You’re against your own agenda now.

So much for free speech for all, eh?

posted on Mar, 3 2019 @ 12:49 PM
link   

Free speech is a human right, and as far as I can tell, not all humans live in the United States.

To some, the denial of fundamental human rights is an issue worth fighting for. Whether you care about it or not is literally no one’s concern but your own.

You mean like allowing pedophiles to go up to children and say whatever they like?

That escalated quickly.

Not really. It’s their ”free speech” after all. Something you’re completely 100% for.

Try coming up to me and start talking to my 1 month old and you’re a pedo (or say things inappropriate), and expect your “free speech” to be met with my censoring fist.

I don’t blame you.

Bad me!

Of course you don’t. You obviously learned after your bans, not to stock up for pedophiles “free speech”.

Happy to see you’re learning! (even if it does go against your total free speech bs)

What?

Well, hopefully you’d punch any predator who approached your child, whether he spoke or not.

I’m not sure what that has to do with free speech.

posted on Mar, 3 2019 @ 12:51 PM
link   

That escalated quickly.

I don’t blame you.

Bad me!

What?

Of course you don’t.

I’m done with you Les. You and your 100% free speech bs.

Have fun living in fantasy land! And please, don’t EVER have kids.

posted on Mar, 3 2019 @ 12:53 PM
link   

That escalated quickly.

I don’t blame you.

Bad me!

What?

Of course you don’t.

I’m done with you Les. You and your 100% free speech bs.

Have fun living in fantasy land! And please, don’t EVER have kids.

If you don’t believe in free speech just say it. No need to invent little fantasies to justify your authoritarian impulses to anyone but yourself.

posted on Mar, 3 2019 @ 12:53 PM
link   
It seems to me if you are capable of doing or saying something, you have the free will to do so, you just have to be willing to except the consequences of said actions. If there are laws against what you want to do or say, or just people who would try to stop or silence you, you should be prepared to deal with the consequences. Unless you are placed in a jail cell, or somehow physically prevented from your speech or actions, then go ahead if you are willing to suffer from it.

"Give me freedom or give me death". If you think it's worth it to be marginalized, jailed, beaten, or even killed, then do what ever you want to, just be ready to take the lumps for doing it.

I'm not advocating breaking laws or stepping on the rights of others, but if that's what you plan to do, be prepared for the ramifications. It seems that relativism is prevalent in today's society to the point that if you can get away with it, it's OK to do. I'm pretty sure our military isn't too concerned for the rights of people in other countries we decide to attack. I doubt that corrupt people and businesses are too concerned about who they screw over unless they are caught and proven guilty of a crime. Even then, many are good with paying the penalty if they feel they can afford to.

Freedom always comes with a price regardless.
edit on 3-3-2019 by MichiganSwampBuck because: Typo

posted on Mar, 3 2019 @ 12:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: and14263
a reply to: olaru12
If I spoke to the general public or the local pub goers about these things it would get bad. ATS is different. Which is the whole point of the thread.

Depends what you're saying and how you go about it, I've had conversations about those things in bars plenty of times.

At home too, though I find people are a little more honest in the kitchen. Just before 2012 I had a long conversation with a cop about 2012, aliens and the illuminaughty he was more clued up than me.

It's how you go about it, nobody has ever forced me to shut up.

posted on Mar, 3 2019 @ 12:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: MichiganSwampBuck
It seems to me if you are capable of doing or saying something, you have the free will to do so, you just have to be willing to except the consequences of said actions. If there are laws against what you want to do or say, or just people who would try to stop or silence you, you should be prepared to deal with the consequences. Unless you are placed in a jail cell, or somehow physically prevented from your speech or actions, then go ahead if you are willing to suffer from it.

"Give me freedom or give me death". If you think it's worth it to be marginalized, jailed, beaten, or even killed, then do what ever you want to, just be ready to take the lumps for doing it.

I'm not advocating breaking laws or stepping on the rights of others, but if that's what you plan to do, be prepared for the ramifications. It seems that relativism is prevalent in today's society to the point that if you can get away with it, it's OK to do. I'm pretty sure our military isn't too concerned for the rights of people in other countries we decide to attack. I doubt that corrupt people and businesses aren't too concerned about who they screw over unless they are caught and proven guilty of a crime. Even then, many are good with paying the penalty if they feel they can afford to.

Freedom always comes with a price regardless.

It’s true. People will attack you for speaking, and we should be prepared to defend ourselves in the face of oppression of this kind.

posted on Mar, 3 2019 @ 12:58 PM
link   
Free speech is real world wide. It just has consequences for some.

I can go to Germany and talk about Nazi's, maybe draw some swastikas here and there.

I'd be arrested though, which is fair enough since they have laws against it. They wouldn't need laws if there's no free speech.

How do you think Neo Nazi's do anything in Germany?

Make a new language, code everything?

Talking about superior ice cream and organising "tupperware" parties?

posted on Mar, 3 2019 @ 01:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: RAY1990
Free speech is real world wide. It just has consequences for some.

I can go to Germany and talk about Nazi's, maybe draw some swastikas here and there.

I'd be arrested though, which is fair enough since they have laws against it. They wouldn't need laws if there's no free speech.

How do you think Neo Nazi's do anything in Germany?

Make a new language, code everything?

Talking about superior ice cream and organising "tupperware" parties?

It’s ironic, though, because Nazis were some of the worst censors in history. It’s odd that Germany, after all they’ve been through, would adopt some of the same policies and laws.

posted on Mar, 3 2019 @ 01:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: RAY1990

originally posted by: and14263
If I spoke to the general public or the local pub goers about these things it would get bad. ATS is different. Which is the whole point of the thread.

Depends what you're saying and how you go about it, I've had conversations about those things in bars plenty of times.

At home too, though I find people are a little more honest in the kitchen. Just before 2012 I had a long conversation with a cop about 2012, aliens and the illuminaughty he was more clued up than me.

It's how you go about it, nobody has ever forced me to shut up.

If you live in the UK, you should have called the cop’s horse “gay”. Someone got arrested for that if I’m not mistaken.

posted on Mar, 3 2019 @ 01:17 PM
link   
a reply to: MadLad

It's understandable, you need to consider the landscape in West Germany when these laws were made.

Maybe their laws can be reviewed, I'm not German.

posted on Mar, 3 2019 @ 01:20 PM
link   

Yes arrested.

Convicted? No.

I've been arrested several times, I've never been to court. Believe it or not it's down to the officer on duty and usually present to determine if a law has been broke and whether they should make an arrest.

The copper obviously thought it was a comment made with a homophobic overtone. Humans are fallible.

Cops tend to suck at apologizing though.

posted on Mar, 3 2019 @ 01:28 PM
link   
a reply to: RAY1990

Totally valid point.... BUT, assuming I am polite, logical, sensible and mature, I shouldn’t have to amend my communication style just because those who are manipulated by the media (or stupid) might take offence.

I have to change my style of communication many times during the working day. I would rather not have to do it when I am being myself... but as you say, we do have to change our approach, or not be ourselves, in order to not offend.

But this is all anecdotal. My comments were ‘a generalisation’. There will always be parties with cops where you can get high and talk about 911, but they’re the exception to the rule. In my opinion. But bring up a taboo and in most situations and there is normally a problem. The room may accept but one person will often alter the atmosphere.

edit on 3-3-2019 by and14263 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2019 @ 01:30 PM
link   
a reply to: TerryDon79

Is madlad the guy who once defended pedophiles right to talk to children? all in the name of free speech?.
edit on 3-3-2019 by MyToxicTash because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2019 @ 01:30 PM
link   

Is madlad the guy who once defended pedophiles right to talk to children? all in thew name of free speech?.

posted on Mar, 3 2019 @ 01:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: TruthxIsxInxThexMist

We may b able to post on social media sites but if what we post is deemed offensive to some, that post gets deleted. Take ATS for example. We are having our thoughts and opinions shut down. If we can't have an opinion, then what is the point?

Privately owned & run forum is private, whatever the three amigos decide for rules & etiquette is what they decide, regardless of whether or not you agree with them, or want to clutch a box of tampons and cry about it.

Big freakin' difference between government not being able to legally tell you to STFU, and owners of places you traipse into.

posted on Mar, 3 2019 @ 01:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: MyToxicTash

Is madlad the guy who once defended pedophiles right to talk to children? all in the name of free speech?.

What? It seems you guys are the ones bringing up pedophiles.
edit on 3-3-2019 by MadLad because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2019 @ 01:45 PM
link   

Okay freedom of speech question.
Should it be illegal to speak to children online in a sexual nature?. It is over here that limits your freedom of speech so are you against it or for it?.
Oh and yes we bring it up because it is to do with freedom of speech most of us know there has to be limits.
Oh and If you are Les yeah many remember you sticking up for the pedo's and blaming the parents.

posted on Mar, 3 2019 @ 01:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: MyToxicTash

Okay freedom of speech question.
Should it be illegal to speak to children online in a sexual nature?. It is over here that limits your freedom of speech so are you against it or for it?.

Why is it in a discussion of free speech you bring up grooming? I seriously have no clue.

posted on Mar, 3 2019 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Because it shows why there should be limits on free speech.
Unless you agree pedos should be able to talk to kids online. so what is it? are you going to defend pedo's rights to talk online to kids or do you agree with the UK law that they should not be able to?.
Not that hard to understand is it?.

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join