It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cover-Up - Time Magazine: Kennedy and the Russian Nuke in D.C.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 04:07 AM
link   

In its 12 Nov 2001 issue, Time ran this brief article on page 31. Hugh Sidey—the magazine's Washington Contributing Editor—has been covering the presidency for Life and Time since 1957. In this snippet, he reveals that JFK told him in 1961 that the Soviet Union has a nuclear bomb in its embassy in Washington, DC.

In my book, this counts as a major revelation, yet there are several factors that indicate that this piece was created in a way that minimizes its impact. And that's exactly what happened: minimal impact. A sitting president told a White House reporter that the Russians have an atomic bomb in the nation's capitol, and no one heard it.

Here are some of the odd aspects of this article:

Presentation. After the letters section, each issue of Time has a section called "Notebook," a hodgepodge of quotes, obituaries, and factoids. This crucial revelation was run in this unlikely section, on the same page as a look at Muslim headgear. And because it was put in "Notebook," it's not available online, since Time doesn't post that section on its Website.

To top it off, the article is presented under the label "Personal History," as if it were some charming recollection of JFK spilling soup on his tie and making a witty remark.

Timing. Kennedy told Sidey about the A-bomb in 1961. Sidey told us in 2001. Does Time have any explanation about why it waited 40 years to publish this remarkable piece of information?

It certainly makes one wonder what the current President is telling White House reporters—revelations that Time will publish in 2042.

Lack of follow-up by Time. OK, so the Soviet Union smuggled parts for an atomic bomb in diplomatic pouches, then assembled it in their DC embassy. Does anyone know whether this bomb still exists and where it is now? Seems to me that there's a good chance it's still somewhere in the area. When the Soviet Union collapsed, did they take apart the bomb and ship the pieces back to Russia in diplomatic pouches? Did they load the whole thing onto an airplane and fly it back to the motherland? Both scenarios seem unlikely. Would Time care to investigate whether this bomb is still in the Russian embassy in Washington, DC?

Lack of follow-up by the rest of the media. Come to think of it, would anyone care to investigate this? It appears that no other media outlet has picked up the story. You might think that Kennedy revealing an A-bomb a few blocks from the White House would be highly newsworthy, but you'd be wrong.

It's no wonder I have never heard about this. This seems greater than any Cuban Missle crisis. This is crazy. I think when we learn what Time hasn't published about BUSH we would all have wished we would have known so we could SMASH THE STATE.

EDIT: Title

[edit on 1-3-2005 by 00PS]

[edit on 1-3-2005 by John bull 1]

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 05:07 AM
link   
I think there's a lot of stuff like this that's 'known' by a surprising number of people but never made into an issue. The Russians probably had a suitcase nuke in every one of their embassies around the world, it would make sense to me. We probably have them too. I'm sure there's other stuff going on behind the scenes everyday that would make us run screaming through the streets if we knew about it.

If there was some political advantage to 'leaking' this story to the media, it would have been done long ago.

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 09:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by 00PS

It's no wonder I have never heard about this. This seems greater than any Cuban Missle crisis. This is crazy. I think when we learn what Time hasn't published about BUSH we would all have wished we would have known so we could SMASH THE STATE.

EDIT: Title

[edit on 1-3-2005 by 00PS]

[edit on 1-3-2005 by John bull 1]

Pirate radio eh? From China? Since I own and operate a legal AM radio station, I wouldn't mind trying to hear yours if you are on shortwave and will provide the frequency and time in UTC. Another reason I responded to your post was - what exactly does "SMASH THE STATE" mean.

If Time had any dirt on Bush you can bet your last cent - it would be plastered all over the anti-Bush news networks and publications with Time getting credit for scooping the story.

Every Bush hating new organizations and left leaning bloggers has been over every tid bit of information remotely associated with Bush and found nothing substantial. Finding nothing made CBS so angry they invented news.

Got to run......

Chief

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 09:47 AM
link   
Pirate Radio, From China, Aint it Great!?!

It's opn the internet, click the link. If I broadcast it on AM I will probably get deported...The radio stations here are so awful Talk Talk Talk Talk, there is very little music at all. BORING. So I created CPR. It's a music and talk show station. People think there are no free speech rights in China. That's just not true. I say anything I want except three things. [Taiwan isn't China's, Tibet isn't China's and Falonggong is good.] ***Attention Chinese Authorities, I didn't state this as something I believe, only something I shouldn't say
Have a Nice Day!! - Your friendly American Resident ***

So there ya go.

Smash The State is a term that talks about basically dismanteling the infrastructure that takes all of our money and gives us the scraps off the table from what they spend it on...among other things.

I would like to make a shortwave transmitter but hardly any young people listen to shortwave so it's not a good strategy to reach the masses.

new topics

top topics

join