It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Congresswoman AOC is making a Dirt List !!

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 2 2019 @ 08:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Xtrozero

Here, food and drink is taxed like anything else.

TheRedneck

posted on Mar, 2 2019 @ 08:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheRedneck

Here, food and drink is taxed like anything else.

TheRedneck

Groceries are taxed? I disagree with that, BTW. One thing you have with a consumption tax is you have a choice to buy or not. Income tax you have no choice so yes you need a variable tax rate.

posted on Mar, 2 2019 @ 08:41 PM
link   

We have a state excise tax. On everything we buy. Which is, indeed, regressive. But I thought we were talking about the federal level.
edit on 3/2/2019 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2019 @ 08:44 PM
link   

Yes, everything is taxed, groceries included. 9% combined.

Strangely, though, only state tax is collected on automobiles, though. I think it's 3%?

TheRedneck

posted on Mar, 2 2019 @ 08:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

We have a state excise tax. On everything we buy. Which is, indeed, regressive. But I thought we were talking about the federal level.

We are, I'm just pointing out that just about everything in place when it comes to consumers is regressive with the way you want to compare things, I just think it is moot.

link   
2nd

edit on 2-3-2019 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

link   
So when Trump said 'drain the swamp' he had no list? Was it ok when Trump kept is vague? Or was it just the wimpy version of it.

I'm guessing he likely had no list though since it was just a fun catch phrase to rally the base around and completely void of actual substance. Illustrated by the fact that the swamp got exponentially murkier when he and his corrupt corporatocracy pals rolled into town.

posted on Mar, 2 2019 @ 08:49 PM
link   

I just think it is moot.

I know.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Mar, 2 2019 @ 08:50 PM
link   

It is almost impossible to have a tax which is not regressive in some way. That's just the way things work.

Income tax is the least regressive one we have, and it has created an entire industry centered around filling out forms required to administer it.

TheRedneck

posted on Mar, 2 2019 @ 08:56 PM
link   
a reply to: TheRedneck

Heh.

My immediate supervisor (which doesn't really mean much in a company the size of ours) is a staunch conservative and a really good accountant. On Friday he started ranting about how screwed up the new tax situation is. Forms with references to other forms that are not available anywhere, that kind of thing. Our CPA is kind of confused too. Not a "postcard."

I've been using TurboTax for 30 years or so. Haven't gotten to Costco to buy it this year yet so still don't know how I'm going to make out for 2018. Hopefully won't have a big refund, or amount due. We'll see what happens.

posted on Mar, 2 2019 @ 08:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheRedneck

It is almost impossible to have a tax which is not regressive in some way. That's just the way things work.

Income tax is the least regressive one we have, and it has created an entire industry centered around filling out forms required to administer it.

TheRedneck

That is true, variable flat rates on income and things like food stamps will offset the regressive nature for the poor, but if someone make 100k and I make 200k I really do not care it is regressive on the other guy just because we are using income as a measurement.

posted on Mar, 2 2019 @ 09:01 PM
link   

a reply to: TheRedneck

Heh.

My immediate supervisor (which doesn't really mean much in a company the size of ours) is a staunch conservative and a really good accountant. On Friday he started ranting about how screwed up the new tax situation is. Forms with references to other forms that are not available anywhere, that kind of thing. Our CPA is kind of confused too. Not a "postcard."

I've been using TurboTax for 30 years or so. Haven't gotten to Costco to buy it this year yet so still don't know how I'm going to make out for 2018. Hopefully won't have a big refund, or amount due. We'll see what happens.

I'm a turbo tax guy too, I don't have a lot of deductions but I did get child tax credit for once...

posted on Mar, 2 2019 @ 09:02 PM
link   

I really do not care it is regressive on the other guy just because we are using income as a measurement.

If you paid $6k less for 2018 it would seem that your income is quite high. I can understand why you wouldn't care. As I said in the prior linked post. $6k is a good chunk of my annual income.

You think it's fair. What a surprise.

posted on Mar, 2 2019 @ 09:09 PM
link   

You think it's fair. What a surprise.

To say it's moot is to say it is neither fair or unfair.

posted on Mar, 2 2019 @ 09:13 PM
link   

That is not what you said. I'll quote you again.

I really do not care it is regressive on the other guy just because we are using income as a measurement.

posted on Mar, 2 2019 @ 09:21 PM
link   

That is not what you said. I'll quote you again.

This is a correct statement, I don't care as I see it as neither fair or unfair, you using full income as the measurement to suggest it is regressive is what I disagree with.

posted on Mar, 2 2019 @ 09:22 PM
link   

You might want to look up the definition of the terminology.
Unless, of course, you want to substitute your own.

posted on Mar, 2 2019 @ 09:52 PM
link   

a reply to: DontTreadOnMe

I bet they thought a certain Austrian in Germany had no chance of ascending to power either.
So, the structure of the US government and politics is the same as that of 1930s Germany. I was not aware of that. Thanks.

It's an analogy.
See definitions 1.1 and 1.2

en.oxforddictionaries.com...
edit on Sat Mar 2 2019 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2019 @ 10:25 PM
link   

You might want to look up the definition of the terminology.
Unless, of course, you want to substitute your own.

I think you fully understand where I'm coming from...

posted on Mar, 2 2019 @ 10:25 PM
link   

I do.

You don't care. As long as you get a tax cut.

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join