It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

F35 two seat?

page: 1

join
share:
RAB

posted on Mar, 1 2019 @ 07:44 AM
link   
Hi Guys and Girls,

Just wondering if a two seat F35 were ever considered?

Kind regards

RAB

posted on Mar, 1 2019 @ 08:24 AM
link   
a reply to: RAB

No. This one is lucky to have a pilot.

posted on Mar, 1 2019 @ 08:32 AM
link   
a reply to: lakenheath24

There was some early design work, I've been told, but word came down from on high that there was no reason for it.

posted on Mar, 1 2019 @ 08:38 AM
link   
a reply to: RAB

With the issues the F-35 has had, a two seat version would have proven to be even more fun.

posted on Mar, 1 2019 @ 09:04 AM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Considering every square inch of s0ace is used for fuel and cooling. The r2d2 package sits back there.

posted on Mar, 1 2019 @ 09:45 AM
link   
a reply to: lakenheath24

Exactly. It would have been a not insignificant challenge engineering wise.

posted on Mar, 1 2019 @ 11:06 AM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

id imagine its very hard to modify a plane like the f-35 when its radar cross section is so very important aswell. id imagine it would require almost as much engineering as an entire new plane. the other poster is right aswell, its lucky to even have a single pilot.

posted on Mar, 2 2019 @ 04:35 PM
link   
I imagine with improvements in synthetic training too reduce the need for trainers.

posted on Mar, 2 2019 @ 09:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: Forensick
I imagine with improvements in synthetic training too reduce the need for trainers.

The second seat would more than likely be located on the ground, given today's technology.

posted on Mar, 2 2019 @ 11:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Masisoar

With the new virtual links they can stick a pilot in the cockpit and he can fly an entire mission without leaving the parking spot. It will be complete with an entire strike package.

posted on Mar, 3 2019 @ 12:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58
a reply to: Masisoar

With the new virtual links they can stick a pilot in the cockpit and he can fly an entire mission without leaving the parking spot. It will be complete with an entire strike package.

Although a bit off topic... my question that I pose for debate is as follows... Do remote pilots deserve the same consideration as actual pilots where the DFC medal, gold silver and bronze stars, etc are awarded.
edit on 3/3/2019 by EternalSolace because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2019 @ 12:25 AM
link   
a reply to: EternalSolace

Yes and no. They deserve the medals, but for different circumstances obviously. A UAV pilot faces their own stresses that can be just as bad as a manned aircraft, short of being in danger.

new topics

top topics

join