It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cory Booker introduces bill to legalize marijuana nationwide

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 28 2019 @ 10:08 PM
link   
Legalize MJ and then find out the huge effects it has on psychosis and many other mental disorders... wait I thought we wanted to get people better mental healthcare not throw them further into a mental health spiral including the onset of schizophrenia and many other things. Beyond that due to it's long half life in the human body once consumed, it depresses cognitive function a measurable degree for approximately 30 days.

But at the same time as proponents want to legalize this drug that can cause long term mental health problems while lowering cognitive function, the same proponents want to introduce single payer healthcare?

One or the other. I have no problem if people want to take that risk, but I refuse to pay your healthcare bills, or subsidize your means of living while you handy cap yourself. On the other hand if you want me to help pay your healthcare bills or subsidize your means of living, all recreational drugs should be banned and heavily punished.

Wanting both at the same time is absolutely abhorrent, illogical, and counterproductive.

posted on Feb, 28 2019 @ 10:52 PM
link   
I always figured Trump would legalize it in 2020 after he wins again and doesn’t have to worry about his base as much

posted on Feb, 28 2019 @ 10:56 PM
link   
a reply to: sine.nomine

It's a tough one federally, they have to overcome the DEA, big pharma too.

posted on Feb, 28 2019 @ 11:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: vonclod
a reply to: sine.nomine

It's a tough one federally, they have to overcome the DEA, big pharma too.

Shipments without proper, legal permission would still be a no go. Nothing from Mexico, same policy at the border. Taking it from state to state in an 18-wheeler for a company could land you in jail if everything isn't perfect. This happened recently out West somewhere, I don't feel like looking it up but you can if you don't believe me. Very recently a guy was hauling hemp, not marijuana even though it looks and smells similar, from a marijuana legal state to one that allows CBD and hemp but not marijuana.

Their extremely outdated law, like many state laws regarding this sort of thing, says something to the effect that it can't have any discernable THC level or a THC level above a very low percent that wouldn't get you high but might be in a fresh, high quality hemp crop. The K9's reacted to the truckload of fresh hemp (I'm sure it smells like pungent Marijuana or similar), and the guy was put in jail with a ridiculous bond that I don't think the company was able to or willing to pay. Case is probably ongoing, don't know if the driver ever made bail but it's an example.
edit on 2/28/2019 by r0xor because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2019 @ 11:18 PM
link   
a reply to: r0xor
For sure, transporting across state lines is very risky..even between 2 legal states(I believe)

We legalised federally last year..the govt is doing everything in it's power to screw it up/monopolise it. There are worse punishments now, including mandatory jail time for not playing by their exact rules.
It is an interesting time though..billions of dollars being thrown around, venture capitalists and such.

A real positive out of it is, the universities are now able to do some serious studies on the medical properties/benefits.
edit on 28-2-2019 by vonclod because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2019 @ 02:02 AM
link   
a reply to: Xcalibur254

Mitch McConnell co-wrote a bill to legalize industrial hemp.

Also, not that I'm condoning this behavior, going against the pharmaceutical industry is bad news. They play for keeps.

posted on Mar, 1 2019 @ 02:06 AM
link   
a reply to: narrator

It does but im not sure the public is ready for it.

posted on Mar, 1 2019 @ 04:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: dubiousatworst
Legalize MJ and then find out the huge effects it has on psychosis and many other mental disorders... wait I thought we wanted to get people better mental healthcare not throw them further into a mental health spiral including the onset of schizophrenia and many other things. Beyond that due to it's long half life in the human body once consumed, it depresses cognitive function a measurable degree for approximately 30 days.

But at the same time as proponents want to legalize this drug that can cause long term mental health problems while lowering cognitive function, the same proponents want to introduce single payer healthcare?

One or the other. I have no problem if people want to take that risk, but I refuse to pay your healthcare bills, or subsidize your means of living while you handy cap yourself. On the other hand if you want me to help pay your healthcare bills or subsidize your means of living, all recreational drugs should be banned and heavily punished.

Wanting both at the same time is absolutely abhorrent, illogical, and counterproductive.

How many millions are spent, and how many millions of people are effected with the dancers of smoking, alcohol and sugar?

It's not just about smoking marijuana. There are loads of health benafits when it comes to marijuana, so why should it be illegal?

As for things like schizophrenia. There is no evidence that smoking marijuana causes schizophrenia. I could be a trigger for people who were always going to get it, but it does not cause
schizophrenia itself.

It amazes me that people say this about marijuana, when we have legal substances like cigarettes, alcohol and sugar

But i say it again! This is not just about smoking
marijuana. It's about the other health benafits of this plant.

edit on 1-3-2019 by Jay-morris because: Mistake

posted on Mar, 1 2019 @ 05:25 AM
link   
Hope this passes

If trump campaigns on legalization I would vote for him.

What I want is freedom from prosecution and freedom from random drug tests.

Whoever makes that happen gets my vote.

posted on Mar, 1 2019 @ 05:38 AM
link   
In a county where people are free to consume alcohol, and many destroying themselves in the process, having something as innocuous as weed made illegal and usage criminalized has always seemed hypocritical to me.

It shouldn't be illegal.

But with all of the more serious issues this country is faced with having pot legalization as a campaign ploy seems desperate.

imo

posted on Mar, 1 2019 @ 07:37 AM
link   
a reply to: Hypntick
a reply to: olaru12

Why are you both assuming I support alcohol? I'd rather pot be legal than alcohol, but that doesn't mean I think pot use is good overall. It makes people complacent and happy to go along to get along 99% of the time, with the exception of multiple people I know who started as teens and continued using until their 60s who are now angry and irritable all the time, to the point of being abusive to their kids and grandkids.

If it were just once, or just in one family, I would write off my own anecdote. But this is from multiple families in multiple states.

I don't think pot use is good. There are medical benefits, but not everyone needs medical intervention.

posted on Mar, 1 2019 @ 07:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: neo96
Of course the Brave New World needs it's soma.

No, it needs for a whole bunch of people not to have their recreational behaviour criminalised for no good reason.

posted on Mar, 1 2019 @ 07:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: TinySickTears
Hope this passes

If trump campaigns on legalization I would vote for him.

What I want is freedom from prosecution and freedom from random drug tests.

Whoever makes that happen gets my vote.

We made that mistake here in Canada with Trudeau. It's biting us on the ass now.

Random Drug Testing is not only still a thing, but now it's more intrusive with them having the right to test you at any time, even in public.

Also, the test to prove Impairment is not conclusive, it only shows if you've used cannabis, how long ago is the part in question (regular users will test positive even after a few days of non-use).

IMO they should Decriminalize Cannabis, not Legalize. Subtle but very important difference.

posted on Mar, 1 2019 @ 10:32 PM
link   
Nope. I say keep it illegal. People are more messed up now than ever. Study the youth in the 60s and 70s and you will see that other than revisionist history it was pretty sad. Lots of people were damaged, many died, from recreational drug use. Its only going to hurt this country if legalized right now. This is an old communist trick to drug out the future generation... goes back to the 50s.... maybe earlier.

There is a big difference between self reliant, independant people smoking pot once in a while to a bunch of young jobless kids who want more government. And deny it all you want... government will only get bigger with the legalization of more drugs. Then it will be weaponized against the citizens who are no longer allowed to grow it themselves.

posted on Mar, 2 2019 @ 08:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: agenda51
Nope. I say keep it illegal. People are more messed up now than ever. Study the youth in the 60s and 70s and you will see that other than revisionist history it was pretty sad. Lots of people were damaged, many died, from recreational drug use. Its only going to hurt this country if legalized right now. This is an old communist trick to drug out the future generation... goes back to the 50s.... maybe earlier.

There is a big difference between self reliant, independant people smoking pot once in a while to a bunch of young jobless kids who want more government. And deny it all you want... government will only get bigger with the legalization of more drugs. Then it will be weaponized against the citizens who are no longer allowed to grow it themselves.
I donno, man...I think you could use a toke or two and chill.

posted on Mar, 4 2019 @ 09:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Jay-morris
Yes, there are some health benefits to it in some circumstances, but like anything there are also downsides to it. CIP (cannaboid induced psychosis) is a clinical term created due to the noticeable effects of cannabis on some causing psychosis.

www.sciencedirect.com...

For instance in this study from 2014 on dopamine types and levels in association with those who have experienced psychosis, showing that it is not through the same type of receptors that cannabis induced psychosis occurs.

Anyhow my original argument wasn't necessarily against legalization, (I am for it) but pointing out the cognitive dissonance that must be present to those who are pushing for legalization at the same time as wanting government to control healthcare. My reasoning for this specifically relates to using a drug to treat medical issues as a foot in the door method for full recreational usage. This means that the original arguments levied to get legalization started were disingenuous and misleading. Furthermore if these same people who used this disingenuous methods originally for legalization of medical use, why should anyone trust them when it comes to recreational use.

I have tried the stuff, I don't like it personally (and it made me hallucinate). I think people should be allowed to use it in a recreational fashion if they see fit. However they should not be able to say they are smoking it for medical reasons, and have it covered with insurance (or government health plans as Booker would like to see) smoking it is purely a recreational method of use.

edit on 4-3-2019 by dubiousatworst because: edited for mistake

posted on Mar, 5 2019 @ 03:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: agenda51

Sorry, but that is a load of rubbish! How many deaths are caused every year by cigarettes and alcohol? And do these have any benafits? None at all.

marijuana has been proven to have huge benafits, medical wise. As for smoking marijuana, I know many people who have been smoking it for years, and they are fine. There has been alot of stigma put onto marijuana, just like psycadellics, which have huge life changing benafits too!

posted on Nov, 13 2019 @ 06:55 AM
link   
The recreational-medical benefits are astounding.
Want money for better schools and public works? Tax marijuana.
Want faster growing paper producing crops? Grow marijuana.
I had both of my legs amputated a while back, and my brain just doesn't seem to want to deal with that fact, so it periodically just blasts my "phantom" limbs with pain. I'm talking an easy 8 on the 1-10 pain scale. I was thinking about getting a medical card in san diego. Since I've started using MMJ to treat it, my phantom limb pain has all but disappeared. So, there are definitely those of us out there who are using it for legitimate reasons, and seeing results.
edit on 13-11-2019 by jeezusisacasual because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 13 2019 @ 08:13 AM
link   
a reply to: MykeNukem

I agree this legalization was an absolute joke. I've been pulled over while smoking in the past and given warnings. Now if they swab me and I smoked 5 hours ago they will take away my license. Also the unnecessary amounts of plastic packaging is absurd.

posted on Nov, 13 2019 @ 08:17 AM
link   
a reply to: agenda51

Nobody died from Marijuana. If you think alcohol should be legal and marijuana shouldn't be you obviously lack logic and reason.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join