It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cory Booker introduces bill to legalize marijuana nationwide

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+3 more 
posted on Feb, 28 2019 @ 04:02 PM
link   

conference for political progressives in New Orleans, Louisiana, August 3, 2018.
Sen. Cory Booker, D-N.J., introduced a bill on Thursday to legalize marijuana nationwide as he mounts his presidential campaign.

Co-sponsors of the bill, known as the Marijuana Justice Act, include fellow 2020 Democratic contenders Sens. Elizabeth Warren of Massachusetts, Bernie Sanders of Vermont, Kamala Harris of California and Kirsten Gillibrand of New York. Booker first introduced the bill in 2017, but it was not taken up for a vote.

The bill comes as increasing numbers of states are legalizing marijuana on the local level and public opinion has shifted in favor of legalization.

Source

Is this going to finally be the one that makes it through? My gut tells me no but with each one of these bills that gets proposed we get closer while politicians like McConnell look more and more out of touch.

I predict that if this law or one like it does not get passed before 2020 then legalization will be a major party platform for the Dems.

posted on Feb, 28 2019 @ 04:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Xcalibur254

Well, the other runners may as well drop out now. These 5 just made sure they are the only 5 at the front of the pack and that they stay there.

edit on 28-2-2019 by Duderino because: (no reason given)

+12 more 
posted on Feb, 28 2019 @ 04:10 PM
link   
Legalization of Marijuana may just be the only issue the dems have to run on that isnt bat crap crazy.
It would garner them a lot of votes as well I'm sure.

posted on Feb, 28 2019 @ 04:12 PM
link   
Of course the Brave New World needs it's soma.

posted on Feb, 28 2019 @ 04:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96
Of course the Brave New World needs it's soma.

Its has no apostrophe, like his or her.

And we've had soma for a century now, it's called alcohol. Recently it has been replaced by opioids. Read up on the Sackler family and the recent scandals.

+4 more 
posted on Feb, 28 2019 @ 04:19 PM
link   

Dont care for cory Booker but I'd support legalization.

Republican leadership really lost an opportunity to do this when they had both houses. It would have really given them a big win and helped shake some of the Christian right stigma.

posted on Feb, 28 2019 @ 04:24 PM
link   
I would support the bill, but I would never vote for Cory Booker.

+7 more 
posted on Feb, 28 2019 @ 04:35 PM
link   
There are already 2 bills introduced to legalize MJ on the Federal level.

Booker hasn't ever had an original thought in his empty racist head.

posted on Feb, 28 2019 @ 04:39 PM
link   
I personally support legalization. So many states have already legalized it, and many more decriminalized it. I doubt it will pass though. And really, in the end, employers will likely still ban usage, so it won't matter for a lot of people. I know that my employer restricts usage even in states where it's legal, so it wouldn't matter for me.

I think we'll get there eventually.
edit on 28-2-2019 by sine.nomine because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2019 @ 04:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated

Republican leadership really lost an opportunity to do this when they had both houses. It would have really given them a big win and helped shake some of the Christian right stigma.

The Christian right stigma? Without the Christian right there wouldn't even be a GOP. The party of Family values and all that....

MJ will be decriminalized. I can't see the Republicans mounting a viable campaign. The Evangelicals will fight the devils weed with all their might and campaign contributions will dry up for the gop.
edit on 28-2-2019 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2019 @ 04:47 PM
link   
I personally don't care who/what side gets it passed, but it needs to pass.

I don't even use it to get high, I use CBD/CBN products. I also live where it's legal, so it won't really affect me much at all, except being able to cross state lines with it.

But it's high time (see what I did there?) to just legalize it nationwide and get over the Nancy Reagan "this is your brain on drugs" mentality. Marijuana is not bad. Alcohol is legal and is undeniably worse than weed.

Marijuana has SO many positive uses, and can really stimulate the economy, the fact that it's still illegal on a federal level is absolutely insane.

Legalize it.

posted on Feb, 28 2019 @ 04:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xcalibur254

conference for political progressives in New Orleans, Louisiana, August 3, 2018.
Sen. Cory Booker, D-N.J., introduced a bill on Thursday to legalize marijuana nationwide as he mounts his presidential campaign.

Co-sponsors of the bill, known as the Marijuana Justice Act, include fellow 2020 Democratic contenders Sens. Elizabeth Warren of Massachusetts, Bernie Sanders of Vermont, Kamala Harris of California and Kirsten Gillibrand of New York. Booker first introduced the bill in 2017, but it was not taken up for a vote.

The bill comes as increasing numbers of states are legalizing marijuana on the local level and public opinion has shifted in favor of legalization.

Source

Is this going to finally be the one that makes it through? My gut tells me no but with each one of these bills that gets proposed we get closer while politicians like McConnell look more and more out of touch.

I predict that if this law or one like it does not get passed before 2020 then legalization will be a major party platform for the Dems.

Legalization is a two-edged sword. Here in Canada they used the legalization of Cannabis to take away our rights.

Since Legalization:

- passed laws that allow them to stop us while driving and swab our mouths without any Probable Cause at all. Also, without ANY conclusive scientific test for indicating impairment.
- created fines for almost every conceivable infraction related to Cannabis (improper storage, wrong container, etc)
- now able to confiscate vehicles and cash due to infractions related to growing, etc.

ETA: The Government also made CBD to be classed the same as THC, so now you can only get it from the Government (Used to be in pharmacies, even before legalization).

It just got legalized in Canada and already they have put the hammer down. More to come, I'm sure.

edit on 2/28/2019 by MykeNukem because: add.

posted on Feb, 28 2019 @ 04:52 PM
link   
This should be something everybody can get behind....but think it will be stalled cause both sides just like fighting with each other until another election cycle comes around and they will use it as a vote for me issue. It's definitely a lose issue for the Republicans they ought to let go through, this isn't something to battle over.
edit on 28-2-2019 by putnam6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2019 @ 04:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: caterpillage
Legalization of Marijuana may just be the only issue the dems have to run on that isnt bat crap crazy.
It would garner them a lot of votes as well I'm sure.

I really wish they would take baby steps. Sure some states have rec legalization but most, especially repubs and Trump won't make that leap. Stick with Med Marijuana at this point in time...it is a more neutral position federally and would more likely be passed. Sigh.

Even the states have learned to take baby steps...waiting for the Fed to catch on.

posted on Feb, 28 2019 @ 04:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: putnam6
This should be something everybody can get behind....but think it will be stalled cause both sides just like fighting with each other until another election cycle comes around and they will use it as a vote for me issue. It's definitely a lose issue for the Republicans they ought to let go through, this isn't something to battle over.

This, exactly. I had a thread yesterday arguing to get rid of political parties, one of the points that I made in it was that both parties tend to block bills that would be good for the country simply because the other "team" came up with the idea.

I can easily see that happening with this. Republicans block the bill now, then during the election cycle they present essentially the same bill, just so their team can win. (To clarify, I could see Dems doing the same thing if Reps came up with this bill).

This is an issue that doesn't deserve a fight, from either side. It's win-win, and Republicans would catch a lot of flak if they block it, it could be bad for the upcoming elections so there's really no reason to fight it.

Just pass it already.
edit on 28-2-2019 by narrator because: (no reason given)

edit on 28-2-2019 by narrator because: spelling

posted on Feb, 28 2019 @ 05:01 PM
link   
Unless the bill also calls for the DEA to move it out of schedule 1 substances, all he is doing is handing the pharmaceutical companies more power than they already have.

Well, looking at the text of the bill itself, that is exactly what it does:

(a) Marihuana removed from schedule of controlled substances.—Subsection (c) of schedule I of section 202(c) of the Controlled Substances Act (21 U.S.C. 812) is amended—

(1) by striking “marihuana”; and

(2) by striking “tetrahydrocannabinols”.

S.1689 — 115th Congress (2017-2018)

The bill also removes federal funding for incarceration and expunges criminal convictions for possession.

This is actually a good bill (imho) at a quick glance.

posted on Feb, 28 2019 @ 05:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: jadedANDcynical
Unless the bill also calls for the DEA to move it out of schedule 1 substances, all he is doing is handing the pharmaceutical companies more power than they already have.

(a) Marihuana removed from schedule of controlled substances.—Subsection (c) of schedule I of section 202(c) of the Controlled Substances Act (21 U.S.C. 812) is amended—

The bill also removes federal funding for incarceration and expunges criminal convictions for possession.

Even better, I'm glad he added those into the bill.

Just curious, are you reading the expunging of criminal conviction for possession to mean that folks in prison for MJ related crimes will be let free "immediately" (or soon after it passes), or just that it will be expunged from their criminal records?

posted on Feb, 28 2019 @ 05:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: narrator

originally posted by: putnam6

This, exactly. I had a thread yesterday arguing to get rid of political parties, one of the points that I made in it was that both parties tend to block bills that would be good for the country simply because the other "team" came up with the idea.

I can easily see that happening with this. Republicans block the bill now, then during the election cycle the present essentially the same bill, just so their team can win. (To clarify, I could see Dems doing the same thing if Reps came up with this bill).

This is an issue that doesn't deserve a fight, from either side. It's win-win, and Republicans would catch a lot of flak if they block it, it could be bad for the upcoming elections so there's really no reason to fight it.

Just pass it already.

I'll have to look it that thread up but bet I agree with it too. I'm just concerned what influence big Pharma lol and big alcohol companies have. This a vote Id like to see how everybody votes, and which politician is owned by which company lol lets face it if they are doing America right they ought to be a burgeoning big Weed lobby out there too.

But yes at the absolute least get medical MJ pushed through, it could really help hundreds of thousands people that are suffering through strictly medical issues.

posted on Feb, 28 2019 @ 05:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: jadedANDcynical

I heard the other day that california just put an algorithm in their computer system that automatically went in and released criminals in jail for weed and cleared charges from records.

That sounded pretty cool stuff.

also hr420 exist

posted on Feb, 28 2019 @ 05:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated

Dont care for cory Booker but I'd support legalization.

As a Christian Conservative I fully support legalization and agree it was a lost opportunity.
However, I do not believe it will be enough help for whoever runs against Trump in 2020.

Neo96 posted this video in THIS thread.

IMHO, the progs have jumped the shark as far as most Americans are concerned, you might even say they smulletted themselves.

ETA: I have not partaken in about 30 years but did my share before that.

edit on 2 28 2019 by stosh64 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join