It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

F-35C IOC

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 28 2019 @ 12:22 PM
link   
The Navy could declare IOC for the F-35C as early as today. This would allow limited deployments of the existing aircraft, but wouldn't allow them their full capabilities. It's also the next step in speeding up purchasing of the C model.

The F-35C will eventually serve as a sensor extension for ships in a carrier group, and greatly extend the range of ship based missiles.

www.defensenews.com...

posted on Feb, 28 2019 @ 12:57 PM
link   
maybe u can give me some insight on this. why would they use something like an f-35 for this role? id imagine a drone would make for a much more efficient platform. normally id be semi up to speed on these things but lately i only get out of the forest and back to society once every couple months at best so im pretty out of the loop lately.

posted on Feb, 28 2019 @ 01:01 PM
link   
a reply to: TheScale

The sensors on the F-35 are the most capable ever built. That and the data sharing ability makes it a great fit for the role.

www.navsea.navy.mil...

posted on Feb, 28 2019 @ 01:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58
The Navy could declare IOC for the F-35C as early as today. This would allow limited deployments of the existing aircraft, but wouldn't allow them their full capabilities. It's also the next step in speeding up purchasing of the C model.

The F-35C will eventually serve as a sensor extension for ships in a carrier group, and greatly extend the range of ship based missiles.

www.defensenews.com...

Have any F-35's been used in any type of combat up to this point?

posted on Feb, 28 2019 @ 01:10 PM
link   
a reply to: PokeyJoe

Isreal

link   

WTH
edit on 28-2-2019 by lakenheath24 because: (no reason given)

link   
a reply to: [post=242242

wth x2
edit on 28-2-2019 by lakenheath24 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2019 @ 01:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

thanks zaphod. so essentially its the only thing capable of providing that capability atm. hopefully they can get a drone built with the same sensors because id imagine the fuel costs of putting f-35's up for that is pretty crazy since it has such a beast of an engine in it. on a random note i saw an osprey in flight a week ago flying over my cabin in the woods. thats one odd looking duck in flight.

posted on Feb, 28 2019 @ 01:13 PM
link   

The F-35Bs deployed on the USS Essex flew over 1200 hours, on 100 missions over Syria and Afghanistan.

posted on Feb, 28 2019 @ 01:14 PM
link   

I haven't kept up with it since I left the program in 2012...it was a freakin nightmare back then....just like any new program. Have they finally sorted out the DAS and ALIS systems? Hell, DAS wasn't even installed yet when I worked them.

posted on Feb, 28 2019 @ 01:14 PM
link   
a reply to: TheScale

They're going to be deployed with the carrier anyway, so they make sense.

Yeah, those big props are odd looking.

posted on Feb, 28 2019 @ 01:16 PM
link   
a reply to: lakenheath24

They're already building units of the next generation DAS. Kessel Run just started working on ALIS, so there's hope for it too.

posted on Feb, 28 2019 @ 01:16 PM
link   

Is the goal for them to completely replace the F-18 on Carriers, or to work alongside them?

posted on Feb, 28 2019 @ 01:23 PM
link   

It'll be a mix of the two until the F/A-XX hits the deck. The Navy is about to get their Block III Super Hornets.

posted on Feb, 28 2019 @ 01:26 PM
link   

I worked the very first ones of the line so they were bare bones. As usual, it was a nightmare, no tech data. We actually did all the preliminary maintenance to help verify/re-write procedures on everything. Not as much fun as the finished product, but you know you helped launch a new platform.

I had the privilege of working the first active B-2's as well. I do miss all that!!!!!!!!!!!!

posted on Feb, 28 2019 @ 01:35 PM
link   

The early days are fun! Almost as much fun as unfamiliar platforms coming in without crew chiefs. "This pin looks like it fits here...."

posted on Feb, 28 2019 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Fun...and boring. You get good a briefing Colonels and Generals on crap! LOL But the EPR's were full after 6 months!

I was a civilian for the F-35 arrival though. Not nearly as fun as AD for the B2. AF peeps were not happy to work with us!!!!!!

posted on Feb, 28 2019 @ 04:40 PM
link   

The only time AD is ever happy to see a civilian is when it means they don't have to do the work.

posted on Feb, 28 2019 @ 05:54 PM
link   
IOC was officially declared this afternoon.

news.usni.org...

new topics

top topics

join