It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do the conservative media attack Hollywood so much?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 02:46 AM
link   
Why do the conservative media attack Hollywood so much?
They devote whole shows about them.
Talk about trying to discredit them. Hey I don’t like Hollywood that much and I think celebrity worship is way out of hand in our country, but this is ridiculous. They blast them for speaking out about politics, but if you had a voice and where passionate about something, shouldn’t you speak out.
Hey I don’t listen to Penn or Sheen, when they have something political to say. Some people do, but they will listen to anything.
I mean this is not news, get over it.

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 04:16 AM
link   
In the case of FOX, it's a pure shell game. Rubert Murdoch saw an underserved target audience and pounced. Angry, heartland white folks. In the UK and Australia, his stations are rather Liberal. News Corp actually GAVE half a million dollars to the Democratic party in 2003 and 2004.

He owns half the stuff these same pundits are rallying against.

In the case of Joe Scarborough, he's just getting desperate with Tucker Carlson joining MSNBC. There are only a peak number of Conservative viewers, and they've reaching their maximum growth. So, his producers decided to siphon off the Hannity and Bill O'Reilly viewers from the usually docile and liberal Greta VS, assuming that her brand of pundity can't keep the viewers locked in past 9PM.

They gotta go somewhere.

So, Scarborough goes to the right of O'Reilly and Hannity, attacks a lot of strawmen, and tries to steal the 9PM viewers away. Hollywood is one of the greatest strawmen in the world, and as long as they don't cross the line, the pundits will playfully bash. But, let me put it to you this way.

Fox News grosses like a hundred and fifty million dollars a year.
Twentieth Century Fox grosses a couple billion dollars yearly.

You do the math. Viacom, Time Warner, and News Corp will never let the pundits go too far, because that impacts their bottom line.

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 02:53 PM
link   
Penn? From Penn and Teller? Love their show Bull#. Especially number 7, the Feng Shwai(sp?) Bottled Water episode. Great show.

BTW, they attack hollywood cause hollywood doesn't worship Bush. You get country singers supporting Bush, Everyone else either supports Liberal or Independent. Look at Jesse "The Body" Ventura, he was a Independent and he won! Look at Ah-nold, he republican and he wins in CALIFORNIA! California, the home of Liberals, and he wins!!!! See the power of hollywood? A conservative can win in a liberal state because he is FAMOUS! Dwayne Johnson for President!(aka The Rock) Or Jessica Simpson for Senator! And well, maybe not president, but senator? Would probably win.... Fame people, Fame, and most famous people are either Dem/Lib or Independent. Unless daddy/grandaddy was a NAZI.(GWB, Ah-Nold) they seem to be republican.....

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 03:22 PM
link   
Hollywood has the kind of (not entirely unjustifiable) juicy Gomorra image about it that lends itselve perfectly be projected on those nagging liberal SINNERS overthere that don't pay tribute to the cause....

but on the other hand if Hollywood is Gomorra, than Vegas must be Sodom, but it seems the Vegan bussinesspeople do their fair share of donations to the GOP and keep low profile, so that their island of Sin will be overlooked by the inquisition and any pundit trying to gain popularity with anti-vegas smudge would find probably himselve kicked on the curbs withing 24 hours or buried under a cactus....

[edit on 1-3-2005 by Countermeasures]

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 06:05 PM
link   
The US does not have any news networks that are conservative, unfortunately. One of them is liberal-moderate to sometimes moderate (FOXnews) but none are conservative. We have the newspaper Human Events, which is pretty conservative, but it's not all that widely read. People tend to think in the US that if a media isn't very very liberal (e.g. CNN - Communist News Network, New York Times) that it's conservative... Just not so. Some conservatives simply dislike how uneducated Hollywood actors, who have made fortunes doing no real work or making no real contributions to society, feel a need to use their popularity to espose a certain ideology. Also, Liberals tend to watch a lot more movies than conservatives, because of either lack of time (they have jobs) or because they go to the theatre, read books. The better question may be - Why does Hollywood bash the conservatives so much?

[edit on 1-3-2005 by AlphaHumana]

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 08:59 PM
link   
I don't think conservatives, or the "conservative media" attacks Hollywood as much as Hollywood attacks conservatives and their values.

Anyway, the majority of media, at least 90%, is liberal.

Hollywood, both on screen and the actors/directors/etc themselves are constantly ripping on people's religious values. It's bad enough what Hollywood has done to our society in the past 25 years. Sooner or later its gonna come back to bite them all in the ass when people stop watching their crap.

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 09:11 PM
link   
I must reply with another question. Why does Hollywood alway attack Conservatives?" The answer is simple, they simply just don't agree, I will however say, that there are plenty of people on both sides exploiting it for political agendas.

posted on Mar, 2 2005 @ 11:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rasputin13
I don't think conservatives, or the "conservative media" attacks Hollywood as much as Hollywood attacks conservatives and their values.

Anyway, the majority of media, at least 90%, is liberal.

Very true.

Originally posted by Rasputin13
Hollywood, both on screen and the actors/directors/etc themselves are constantly ripping on people's religious values. It's bad enough what Hollywood has done to our society in the past 25 years. Sooner or later its gonna come back to bite them all in the ass when people stop watching their crap.

Yeah, 99% of what's on TV is crap these days. The only three currently running shows I actively watch on TV are "Enterprise", "Justice League Unlimited", and the NFL/college football. Otherwise, my brief moments of TV watching are for the news, the Discovery/History Channels, and some of the Adult Swim shows.

posted on Mar, 3 2005 @ 01:16 AM
link   
They are afraid of them so they ridicule them which is something they also do to people reporting UFO's. It works over and over again. The Bush administration has labeled anyone who does not agree with them as unpatriotic and liberals. Many are afraid to even speak out especially since many major media outlets are owned and run by republicans who scream freedom and liberty but will shut you up any way they can if you disagree with them.

posted on Mar, 3 2005 @ 01:48 AM
link   
It is interesting that Republicans always seem to run a celebrity.
Even though I did like Steve Largent (NFL). He was what a republican should be.(Control of Goverment Spending).

I agree with you Brimstone that if the bottom line is affected, they will stop bashing Hollywood.

Ther is much more worhty news out there. They bash hollywood, but then do a whole show about the oscars and how terrible it is, and that people dont care anymore. So why do a whole show about it?

Hey I could care less what is happening at the Oscars, or what Penns views are on IRaq. So why keep bringing up on the news show.

posted on Mar, 8 2005 @ 04:11 PM
link   
I don't think they have anything better to do than to point blame at who makes them look bad. At times Hollywood can do that, but it doesn't mean they aren't stating the facts.

posted on Mar, 10 2005 @ 06:49 PM
link   
Goose, I would invite you to change the channel from Al-Jazeera for just a moment. I cannot think of a single television network in the United States that leans to the right. Like I said above, people call FOXnews "conservative" simply because it is liberal/moderate, and not foaming at the mouth liberal/liberal that CNN, Al-Jazeera, Al-Arabiya are.

e.g. CNN: Only fourteen of the nineteen provinces in Iraq are not engaged in constant insurgent anti-coalition actions.

FOXnews: Fourteen of Iraq's nineteen provinces have been peaceful as that country heads to its landmark elections.

Real quotes, folks.

[edit on 10-3-2005 by AlphaHumana]

posted on Mar, 10 2005 @ 08:38 PM
link   
LOL, Alphahumana you are something.

FOX news is moderate/liberal. LOL.

As for that quote, didin't you read in the news about the bombings before the elections?

Or doesn't the "liberal" Fox show that?

posted on Mar, 10 2005 @ 08:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by AlphaHumana
Goose, I would invite you to change the channel from Al-Jazeera for just a moment. I cannot think of a single television network in the United States that leans to the right. Like I said above, people call FOXnews "conservative" simply because it is liberal/moderate, and not foaming at the mouth liberal/liberal that CNN, Al-Jazeera, Al-Arabiya are.

e.g. CNN: Only fourteen of the nineteen provinces in Iraq are not engaged in constant insurgent anti-coalition actions.

FOXnews: Fourteen of Iraq's nineteen provinces have been peaceful as that country heads to its landmark elections.

Real quotes, folks.

[edit on 10-3-2005 by AlphaHumana]

I don't watch Al-Jazeera, I would be afraid the FBI would show up at my door. LOL Our top news media outlets are owned by corporations many of them making money off of this war. What news you get about anything bad about the Bush administration or the war is only because its on foreign news channels already, its always presented in such a way that our government always looks as though they had no choice. I watch free speech tv and a show called Democracy Now and also INN news. Things are a little more complicated than the corporate owned news media outlets would have you believe. Just to show you how watered down your news is have you heard one word about Iraqie civilian casulties? Last word I got it was over 100,000. Also did you know that America is not #1 in education, healthcare or anything else? But yet the media keeps feeding people that line all the time. This channel FSTV survives on private donations and is not owned by a corporation. You will hear more from the soldiers fighting the war and more about the war in Iraq on this channel, they also show their show on the internet. But hey keep watching the liberal Fox channels for your news and keep believing you are informed. And also don't forget to invest in some plastiuc sheeting and duct tape. LOL

posted on Mar, 11 2005 @ 03:46 PM
link   
It's important to me to take a better look at what we form our opinions from - I definitely have to mix my sources up to gather information.

posted on Mar, 11 2005 @ 06:06 PM
link   
That's true.

In Aus, i read Murdoch's Newspapers frequently too, to suggest that you should ignore a source of information just because it's centre-right or centre-left is ignorant.

posted on Mar, 11 2005 @ 06:21 PM
link   
I don't know if you are talking to me or not rapier but I do watch many sources of the news and also read online newspapers but my main source is FSTV. I don't limit myself to just one source but I also don't watch just corporate owned news channels either. Did you know that 6 corporations own all the major news outlets in this country?

posted on Mar, 11 2005 @ 07:51 PM
link   
No, i wasn't referring to you goose.

Yes, corporations control pretty much everything. Hey, your lucky in America, in Aus, we have Murdoch and Fairfax and thats pretty much it!!

2 Newspaper companies throughout the country!!

But out media ownership rules has not yet (keyword yet) being deregulated, meaning that one company cannot control 2 or more of TV, Radio, News in the same license area.

[edit on 11-3-2005 by rapier28]

posted on Mar, 11 2005 @ 08:58 PM
link   
An Aussie, hubby wants to travel to Australia more than anywheres else in the world. I did too until I found out you have ten of the deadliest snakes there. Just thinking about it makes me want to put my feet up in my chair. I live in Virginia, we have four poisonous snakes here, my mother got bit by a copperhead and once one fell off the rafters of the privvy onto my head, fortunately I managed to toss it off of me before it bit me. I was about 6 years old at the time and it scared me so bad I peed my pants. LOL

Back on topic I keep hearing the Murdock name more and more these days, do you think someday he will control it all? I never really worried too much about the media and was not that aware of how bad things had gotten until I began watching the Iraqie war coverage and started feeling like I was at a school pep rally and the journalist were the cheerleaders. I started looking for an objective opinion and an objective journalist and started looking for why I was not finding one.

posted on Mar, 11 2005 @ 09:09 PM
link   
Yeah, i think Murdoch will one day control it all, if not already.

Heck, he even has channels in China.

top topics

join