It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Poland may be taking steps towards F-35

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 28 2019 @ 11:51 AM
link   
Recent statements by the head of the Polish MoD seem to indicate that Poland will take steps to acquire 32 F-35s to complement their F-16s. During a press conference he emphasized how important it is to replace their aging MiG-29 and Su-22 fleets, and spoke about how 5th Gen aircraft act as force multipliers. The Polish government plans to spend $49B in modernization programs between now and 2026.

theaviationist.com...

posted on Feb, 28 2019 @ 12:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

That is a tall order it seems, but good for helping to drive down the cost.
Do you think they will lower that number in the future?

posted on Feb, 28 2019 @ 12:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Allaroundyou

Possibly, but I suspect that's the minimum they'll want. I could see them eventually increasing it some.

posted on Feb, 28 2019 @ 01:00 PM
link   
Don't think the Germans or especially the French will be too happy. Along with Airbus they are doubtlessly frothing blood that another country in the EU wants to buy into F35.

posted on Feb, 28 2019 @ 01:26 PM
link   
a reply to: paraphi

I believe they could buy some but haven’t yet.
If I remember correctly France was considering buying some but backed out in favor of another airframe. I could be wrong though.

posted on Feb, 28 2019 @ 01:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Allaroundyou

Germany and France are dancing around their own 5th Gen. The latest is that Airbus wants to build it without German parts because of export controls.

posted on Mar, 1 2019 @ 01:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: paraphi
Don't think the Germans or especially the French will be too happy.

Participation of Poland in FCAS is not in the cards anyway due to political animosities.

edit on 1-3-2019 by mightmight because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2019 @ 02:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: mightmight
Participation of Poland in FCAS is not in the cards anyway due to political animosities.

That may be true at the moment, but the FCAS is an industrial collaboration within the EU. The way these things are going Poland may have no choice but to procure into the programme as they become (willingly, or unwillingly) aligned to the EU project.

posted on Mar, 1 2019 @ 02:03 AM
link   

Don't think the Germans or especially the French will be too happy. Along with Airbus they are doubtlessly frothing blood that another country in the EU wants to buy into F35.

Watch the EU (ergo France then Germany) create a rule that all EU countries must buy Airbus and then they will subsidize it.

I hope they do because that will be one of their death nails.

posted on Mar, 1 2019 @ 02:10 AM
link   

That may be true at the moment, but the FCAS is an industrial collaboration within the EU. The way these things are going Poland may have no choice but to procure into the programme as they become (willingly, or unwillingly) aligned to the EU project.

Sweden is in the EU and I doubt they will sell their self defence to Europe, France, Germany and Italy dont have a track record of reliable partners or allies.

In fact, unless you want to take it back 200 years to pointless history and another era, the only solid rock in Europe is the UK and the Europeans are trying their hardest to ruin us. We stood by Poland, we fought for France, we cleared out Holland and with America, Canada and other Commonwealth countries we provided the platform for the end of WW2.

Seems virtue-signalling has replaced historic ties and blood spilled in some corners of Europe.
edit on 1 3 2019 by Forensick because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2019 @ 02:19 AM
link   
The F-35 will used by Belgium, Denmark, Italy, the Netherlands, the UK and Norway. Even if "the EU" /Bruessels /Paris and Berlin wanted to, it's flat out impossible to force Poland to purchase European. They'd need to effectivley ban US military exports to Europe and at that point the alliance would be finished.

posted on Mar, 1 2019 @ 03:39 AM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Can a late model F-16 really interface with an F-35 and take full advantage of the data pipeline the F-35 is capable of?

With the latest news article of the rookie f35 pilot telling a near 3000 hour f15 or F16 pilot (I cant remember which) to turn away or be destroyed during the red flag exorcise.

Is it wise for the US to give access to the F35 to such a vulnerable ally?

posted on Mar, 1 2019 @ 03:44 AM
link   

Even if "the EU" /Bruessels /Paris and Berlin wanted to, it's flat out impossible to force Poland to purchase European.

My central point was that at some point in the not-to-distant-future, if the EU gets its way, the EU will become centralised. This we know and (without bringing politics in) is one of the reasons why the UK is leaving.

An EU military is now being talked about as a "when" rather than an "if", alongside the start of a consolidation of industries into a single force, such as Airbus. The French and Germans are already talking about things like a single European MBT, for example, so you can see where this will go. In 20 years time Poland may have no choice but to fly FCAS as they will be part of a single military procurement process, under a single EU military structure.

I would be prepared to bet that F35 is the last significant US-run military project that will have a European market, or rather a market in the EU.

posted on Mar, 1 2019 @ 04:26 AM
link   
a reply to: Forensick
Sweden will almost certainly team with the UK for Tempest and both would be crazy not too. I had to laugh at Zaph's reporting that the French dont want to use German made components due to export restrictions. Its either falling apart or bound to be a French dominated program with all the quirky peculiarities that entails already. My gut feeling is the EU will try and pressure the Italians to go FCAS but may very well end up joining the UK. There is a strong sense of unrest in Italy about many things to do with the EU.

posted on Mar, 1 2019 @ 04:27 AM
link   
Yes, the EU will become more centralised. This is a gradual procress and at some point there will also involve a unified military force, replacing the armed forces of member states.
But this is not happening today or tomorrow. Maybe never if the EU collapses.

Joint procurement efforts of EU member states have been going on for decades and unsurprisingly will continue going forward.
This doesnt mean participation will be mandatory over night though. Maybe (!) at some point in the future there will be an effort to streamline procurement to facilitate a Joint EU military force. But this is way off into the future, it will take a long, drawn out political procress to get the member states to agree on joint defense.

"The EU" cant just tell Poland to buy FCAS instead of F-35s. There would be no legal basis for such a move. Certain elements might want to have a unified procurement procress and a single EU military structure, but they cant just set one a by fiat. The EU is still governed by law and without another treaty evolving the Common Security and Defense Policy not much can be done.

posted on Mar, 1 2019 @ 04:30 AM
link   

My central point was that at some point in the not-to-distant-future, if the EU gets its way, the EU will become centralized
Curious, that's a somewhat schizophrenic scenario. So the EU will hold a gun to its own head and force itself to centralize, at the same time that parts of it dont want that. I guess the question here is to ask, "define the first EU in that sentence". Or more pointedly, who really is the EU?

posted on Mar, 1 2019 @ 05:39 AM
link   
Its like putting a bunch of little kids who dont like each other in the same room and expect them to play.

new topics

join