It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump on Otto Warmbier's death: Kim Jong Un wasn't to blame

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 28 2019 @ 08:32 AM
link   
Source

"Some really bad things happened to Otto — some really really bad things. But he tells me that he didn't know about it and I will take him at his word," Trump said, referring to the North Korean dictator.

It's shocking, to me, that the American president would say this. For those who aren't aware, Otto Warmbier was an American tourist in North Korea who was imprisoned in one of their death camps after being caught with a stolen propaganda poster. After some negotiations he was released back to America only to be found in an unresponsive coma and died shortly after.

posted on Feb, 28 2019 @ 08:49 AM
link   
How many other presidents have gotten North Korea to release prisoners?

posted on Feb, 28 2019 @ 08:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: Middleoftheroad
How many other presidents have gotten North Korea to release prisoners?

The President who got the Peublo Naval ship released from N.Korean captivity with all crew and Capt.
edit on 28-2-2019 by mysterioustranger because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2019 @ 09:00 AM
link   
a reply to: links234

Pres. Lyndon Johnson. 1968...the crew of 83 was abused and tortured, and in newsreel videos used their eyes to use code to spell out "sos", "help", "torture" etc....

North Korea kept the ship where it remains to this day.

posted on Feb, 28 2019 @ 09:04 AM
link   
Well that is a golden statement from potus.

Worth 100 million dollars since there is an ongoing lawsuit against nk for the death.

Personally i am a realist and otto did not die until he got to the usa and had no marks or scars from "death camps".

posted on Feb, 28 2019 @ 09:07 AM
link   
Hypothetical

Would you rather have a denuclear NK
Or
Have a nuclear NK and have them take blame for killing an American?

Some days the big boy world makes you make tough decisions

posted on Feb, 28 2019 @ 09:17 AM
link   
a reply to: links234

Who said Kim made personally the decisions that lead to Otto's death? He died still under his regime. And that makes Kim responsible either way. This just shows the stupidity of the president for asking the question.
And this thread will show some awesome mental gymnastics by the boot licking fanboys grab'em-by-the-pussy has on ATs trying to make it sound "right/winning". Which is the really depressing part.

posted on Feb, 28 2019 @ 09:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: SocratesJohnson
Hypothetical

Or

Hypothetical or not, I think you are spot on with this. Something like: yes we know what you did to an American citizen but we will not pushing it if you sit down with us about denuclearisation... Otto might be the price for the start of a civilized negotiation with NK

posted on Feb, 28 2019 @ 09:21 AM
link   
I have a hard time feeling sorry for anyone that dies as a "tourist" in north korea...

posted on Feb, 28 2019 @ 09:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: links234
Source

"Some really bad things happened to Otto — some really really bad things. But he tells me that he didn't know about it and I will take him at his word," Trump said, referring to the North Korean dictator.

It's shocking, to me, that the American president would say this. For those who aren't aware, Otto Warmbier was an American tourist in North Korea who was imprisoned in one of their death camps after being caught with a stolen propaganda poster. After some negotiations he was released back to America only to be found in an unresponsive coma and died shortly after.

life in northcorea isn't that bad! no one is starving, no one is in chail without any reason, they have free access to the internet, they have electricity all night and day, you can say what you want, you can travel the world. and of course if an american citicen is jailed the great leader doesn't know anything about it.

posted on Feb, 28 2019 @ 09:29 AM
link   
a reply to: SocratesJohnson

North Korea has not denuclearized. In fact, the summit ended early as North Korea explicitly refused to denuclearize unless their demands were met.

North Korea continues to develop and enhance their nuclear arsenal and has never shown any signs of stopping. Not entirely sure what Trump expected to accomplish from this meeting.

posted on Feb, 28 2019 @ 09:40 AM
link   
It shows a complete lack of negotiating skills. Team usa should have been prepared for this. It is not hard to figure that neither side is going to completely give in first and the only path would be step by step. Removing one sanction at a time in return for compromises.

You all should ask yourselves the question if this is all a show and no real thought of removing capabilities was ever on the table and potus from the start just made a deal with kim that if he would stop firing rockets then kim could continue everything else cause potus needed a victory lap with his tds base. It took the fake news to even suggest a liaison office.

A true modern day love story!

posted on Feb, 28 2019 @ 09:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: szino9

Hypothetical

Or

Hypothetical or not, I think you are spot on with this. Something like: yes we know what you did to an American citizen but we will not pushing it if you sit down with us about denuclearisation... Otto might be the price for the start of a civilized negotiation with NK

I do not think that Warmbier had *any* kind of value to the NK regime!

Realize their situation: releasing a person you have (rightfully as per your own laws) in prison.

This person is comatose. You knew that, or your intelligence agencies would be working against you and would then face an anti-aircraft-gun muzzle-face on.

Nevertheless, you release said person. What did you gain? You just lost a lot of respect in the world, even from friendly countries by releasing a tortured or at least heavily mistreated prisoner. What did you swap him for?

Either he had no value, so you just lost a non-responsive prisoner - another mouth not needed to be fed and cared for.
Or you got something valuable. What we do not know about. But it cannot be much, or it would have been apparent, like the president of the USA coming for a visit. Waaaait a minute... Nah, Trump wanted to visit a successful dictator-for-live-and-beyond.

posted on Feb, 28 2019 @ 09:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: links234
Source

SomTrump should call him Kim a liar and start a fist fight?
Diplomatic is an interesting word, diplomatic relations and communications
Sometimes, very sadly sometimes having to accept what you know is a lie for a bigger issue

If you don't understand what Trump did and why then it's more a reflection on you than him

posted on Feb, 28 2019 @ 09:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: szino9

Hypothetical

Or

Of course it is. While anti-Trumpers cry about what words were used, Trump is working towards the goal of denuclearization and peace in the region. Trumps is acting in good faith. That’s a key to building trust,

posted on Feb, 28 2019 @ 10:01 AM
link   
John Bolton wants wars as long as Trump has those neocons that want to strike NK first in the white house there never wont peace in the region.

posted on Feb, 28 2019 @ 10:05 AM
link   
I can't help wondering if Kim might just have something on Trump? Something that might prove rather embarrassing for Trump?

posted on Feb, 28 2019 @ 10:19 AM
link   
just like he "believed" putin over our intel.

god damn, he's a puss.

wonder how otto's parents are feeling.. remember when he brought them out? i'd be livid.

posted on Feb, 28 2019 @ 10:25 AM
link   
a reply to: MadLad

by acting weak as hell? that's how you work toward something made up to begin with? he's not giving up his nukes - trump knows that and said he didn't blame him.

what an embarrassment.

posted on Feb, 28 2019 @ 10:27 AM
link   
a reply to: Raggedyman

Okay. Explain it. Why did he bring up that topic at the meeting at all?

<<   2  3  4 >>

join