It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Some ugly buggy pages in Mozilla Firefox

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 02:09 AM
link   
Some pages don't seem to put line breaks when viewed in Mozilla Firefox. To say the least, I'm rather dismayed by this problem. Firefox is my main browser, and I'm pretty adament about using it.

Example: www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 02:20 AM
link   
I have the same with some pages. I am using Netscape....

SMR

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 02:52 AM
link   
They need to install a hack/mod whatever they call it for this board software.
People should hit the RETURN/ENTER key once and awhile to avoid this.
www.abovetopsecret.com...
Your answer in above link

posted on Mar, 2 2005 @ 05:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by SMR
They need to install a hack/mod whatever they call it for this board software.
People should hit the RETURN/ENTER key once and awhile to avoid this.
www.abovetopsecret.com...
Your answer in above link
What's that supposed to do in Firefox? Whatever it is, it's not working for me.

posted on Mar, 2 2005 @ 08:17 AM
link   
supercheetah, you are looking at a page where, in some post, someone has entered a URL or a long line of thext that exceeded the standard width without the break created when you hit ENTER. There is nothing wrong with your browser.

posted on Mar, 2 2005 @ 12:55 PM
link   
The problem is usually caused by long urls as spectre stated. There are online services that will shorten a url for you, but I think they do it by registering a new (shorter) domain that redirects to the original target url. This one is free and fast, however manually shortening links this way would need to be done by mods after the fact. Perhaps there is a way that it could be automated in the html/php/css coding...?

SMR

posted on Mar, 2 2005 @ 02:36 PM
link   
The board just needs a word wrap hack added to the software is all.
I have done the same for PHPBB so that this issue does not happen.Though I am not sure if there is one or not for this board software.
It has nothing to do with ANY browser.It is the board coding not allowing word wrap is all.
Ever open a doc in word or notepad and it scrolls left/right?Turn on word wrap and the issue is gone.

Again,NOTHING to do with ANY browser.Is NOT a browser issue

posted on Mar, 2 2005 @ 03:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by wecomeinpeace
The problem is usually caused by long urls as spectre stated. There are online services that will shorten a url for you, but I think they do it by registering a new (shorter) domain that redirects to the original target url. This one is free and fast, however manually shortening links this way would need to be done by mods after the fact. Perhaps there is a way that it could be automated in the html/php/css coding...?
Interesting. I've been using TinyURL for this purpose for a while now. That's pretty much all I've seen other people use. I've not seen people use the ones you've mentioned. NotLong.com isn't registering domains! That'd get really expensive after a while. They're using the one they bought (notlong.com) and creating subdomain names, which is something anybody with a domain name can do. TinyURL uses hashing, which is a computer technique that associates some data with a string of characters (they're not random necessarily, but they can be.) I'm surprised TinyURL hasn't run into any collisions (that's when two pieces of data are associated with the same hash.)

Sorry, I'm geek.

PS Oh, yeah, here's an example that links to this thread.

[edit on 3/2/2005 by supercheetah]

posted on Mar, 2 2005 @ 03:10 PM
link   
Yeah, sorry. I meant sub-domains. I'm no computer/Internet genius, just thought I'd throw the url-shortening option out there since no one mentioned it. Thanks for the correction.

new topics

top topics

join