It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Emotional Support Pit Bull Dog Allowed at Airport --- Oops

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 27 2019 @ 09:55 PM
link   
a reply to: queenofswords

Thats just another random person writing their opinion.

And they started off with "The jaws of a Pit Bull or Pit Bull mix is no different mechanically than any other canine. "

edit on 27-2-2019 by DanDanDat because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2019 @ 10:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Xtrozero

There is nothing wrong with an "Emotional Support" animal . The issue is whether or not the animal is properly trained and not just a family pet.

Properly trained doesn't mean that it knows some special trick, like "recognizing PTSD" as you houmersaly pointed out. The training is on situational awareness. For example how to properly sit in an air port and not be distracted or influenced by the business going on around.

posted on Feb, 27 2019 @ 10:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Onlyyouknow

Do you know how many of those "pitbull attacks" are actually done by pitbulls? They're the most misidentified dog out there. Even experts can't identify them with any kind of accuracy. Any time a dog has even a semi block head they're called a pitbull.

They did a study recently and found that many of the dogs in it that were labeled pitbull had no bull terrier DNA in them at all.

DNA results show that shelter workers are often mistaken when they label a dog as a pit bull, with potentially devastating consequences for the dogs, a new University of Florida study has found.

“Animal shelter staff and veterinarians are frequently expected to guess the breed of dogs based on appearance alone,” said Julie Levy, D.V.M., Ph.D., a professor of shelter medicine at the UF College of Veterinary Medicine and the lead author of a study published recently in The Veterinary Journal.

“Unlike many other things people can’t quite define but ‘know when they see it,’ identification of dogs as pit bulls can trigger an array of negative consequences, from the loss of housing, to being seized by animal control, to the taking of the dog’s life,” she said. “In the high-stakes world of animal shelters, a dog’s life might depend on a potential adopter’s momentary glimpse and assumptions about its suitability as a pet. If the shelter staff has labeled the dog as a pit bull, its chances for adoption automatically go down in many shelters.”

www.vetmed.ufl.edu...

If shelter staff, that work daily with dogs have that much trouble identifying a pitbull, how much more difficult do you think it is for the average dog owner?
edit on 2/27/2019 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2019 @ 10:12 PM
link   

edit on 2/27/2019 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2019 @ 10:47 PM
link   
a reply to: JHumm

Can you defend the issue that not all pitbulls are bred correctly and are ticking time bombs? It really wouldn't be a big deal if pit bulls were the size of Yorkies. The problem is the utter devastation they cause with their mouths and unbreakable bite.

These dogs should have to wear a muzzle when out in public.

posted on Feb, 27 2019 @ 10:50 PM
link   
Aside from yet another issue with the "Breed of Peace," the idea of emotional support animals is pure BS. It is just a handy scam by pet owners so that they can take little Fluffy or big Wolfie with them where dogs are not generally permitted. One dolt had a support peacock and another had a support alligator. Fortunately, these two were not permitted to impose their stupidity on airplane passengers.
The problem is that the witless functionaries of the same ilk as those who have provided safe spaces and coloring books in feel good colleges were conned yet again. The selfishness of owners in imposing their pet on others is not acceptable. People who are allergic to pet dander are not considered but some selfish twit with a mutt is given priority. Real service dogs are somehow lumped into the same group with pretend service animals. Yet more idiocy from the brain dead bureaucrats.

posted on Feb, 27 2019 @ 10:50 PM
link   
a reply to: hiddeninsite

These dogs should have to wear a muzzle when out in public.

That is exactly it!! potential problem solved.

posted on Feb, 27 2019 @ 10:54 PM
link   
‘Emotional support’ dog

Is that something for the weak and the gutless?

Like a ‘safe space’?
edit on 27 2 2019 by Breakthestreak because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2019 @ 11:07 PM
link   
Sooo terribly sad, this was an unnecessary tragedy. Pits are extreme loyal pack dogs, they can be a wonderful family dog to THEIR Family. They are a terrible choice of a Service dog for folks that need help in public spaces, maybe perfect for a home bound person needing protection.

Our Bonnie girl, rescue pit mix we were told at adoption, was such a Good Girl, may her sweet heart RIP, but she had aggression issues. She neurotically had to have a toy in her mouth, especially when she had to cope with dealing with the cat and the other little dog in the our family pack ...I think she knew it was not OK to hurt them, and it made her so nervous she kept a toy in her mouth, lol, yeah, maybe projecting human emotions on animals, but that was my vibe about how she was feeling.

Anyways, sadly I would never get another pit or pit mix again, but understand why people bond so much with this breed of dog.

posted on Feb, 27 2019 @ 11:09 PM
link   
a reply to: MountainLaurel

I have no doubt that animals can experience emotions simular to people.

posted on Feb, 27 2019 @ 11:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: Breakthestreak
‘Emotional support’ dog

Is that something for the weak and the gutless?

Like a ‘safe space’?

I typically enjoy your posts, but this is just insensitive.

I had an emotional support cat. Never really took her outside my home... She just died a few days ago... I've been raped, stabbed, impaled, and shot at. I have a fractured skull, had my nose broken twice, a crushed finger, a collapsed lung, a broken rib, a few broken hands, a broken foot, 7 dislocated bones and a dislocated jaw, and whatever else I can't remember.

I've had 7 friends die in the past 5 years. And another diagnosed with cancer. I'm 31...

Sometimes an animal can help out.

I guess I'm just weak and gutless though.

posted on Feb, 27 2019 @ 11:22 PM
link   
a reply to: sine.nomine

You are just fine, it's others who have a sickness of the heart..seen a few example's today.

posted on Feb, 27 2019 @ 11:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: DanDanDat
www.mypetneedsthat.com...

Dogs with the strongest bite

Pit Bull is at the bottom of the list. German Shepereds are higher... not many people worried about them.

No German Sheppards aren't higher you read your list backwards. Pits as far as size to bite force is very strong. Only really big dogs like the English mastiff have a stronger bite force.

I also had an uncle that had kangal when I was young excellent dog to have around if you had wolves in the area. But also again a breed that needs to be taught how to handle strangers. Anyone new the dog had to be locked up until he could introduce them. This is not a dog for neighborhoods but excellent roaming around on a farm.

This is much like Pitts they aren't meant to be living in apartments or backyards.

posted on Feb, 28 2019 @ 01:54 AM
link   
Thanks to ignoramuses like the apologists in the thread, we've got naive people convinced that dogs that were bred with innate viciousness for a reason are overgrown kittens.

They. Are. NOT.

No purebred dog breed exists without having been bred for the exact reasons they were used -- work dogs, guard dogs, war dogs, hunting dogs, etc. These traits were bred into them over thousands of years, and you buffoons think a couple of litters of cute puppies takes all of that away? WTF is wrong with you? You're exactly the kind of people who shouldn't HAVE those breeds in the first place -- you don't understand it took time to breed it into them, and will take time to breed it out. More time than just a couple fricking litter generations.

posted on Feb, 28 2019 @ 01:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: watchitburn
a reply to: queenofswords

There are no bad dogs, only bad owners.

Pit bulls, and actually the dog is an American Staffordshire Terrier, but "Pit Bull mauls child" triggers the ignorant, are wonderful animals. Extremely smart, friendly and loyal.

I agree, the whole emotional support animal thing is nonsense. But that lady should be put down, not the dog.

Baloney...all dogs are capable of total insanity..these types of dogs which are walking hormone creations are dangerous as hell and everyone knows it.

People who say these dogs are not dangerous are big time liars..and when one of their dogs mauls someone they should pay dearly.

Any dog did this too any kid in my field of view will be sorry they ever existed...and the owner lol....no words at all.

posted on Feb, 28 2019 @ 02:24 AM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Get real.

Everyone including you know all the dogs that share that look are insanely dangerous musclebound and extremely vicious looking PERIOD.

No matter how well trained they hear a sound and you see it turns on and barely can contain itself.

Rotties and Dobermans, shepherds are thankfully on the decline cause of the bad intentions they really do display all too often...

but now these types of dogs became cool in the rap music era.

Face it..we need these dogs around as much as the proverbial hole in the head.

They are for war and nothing more..

posted on Feb, 28 2019 @ 02:34 AM
link   
Hi everyone! I'm back. Ok, first, ALL DOGS CAN BE VICIOUS!!!! Wipe the bias from your eyes and get out of the "oh which side should I choose?" bullcrap because d word it, this is ATS. Not FB, Not the CNN comments section. Deny Ignorance! You may think i'm just saying "Bad Owners, not bad dogs!" but its friggin common sense, something that used to be common except amongst the arguers. All breeds have their initial intent but you can use that same argument against people because of Genetic Memory/instinct. People don't report other dog bites like murder or rape statistics. Pits were primarily used in fighting dog rings so they have that stigma. Also, dogs can change! Like people. How bout that ?!?!?! Mind blown to some. I had a perfectly awesome pit that was the only dog I've ever seen that would only bark at you if you didn't pet him immediately upon sight/contact. He was the greatest love sponge ever. Then, my dad's ex took him and made him a fighting dog bc she was a druggie B word. 3 years later, i saw him and he was my puppy again upon sight but when he saw my friend, he was a vicious animal. It was sad. Then, there's my parent's dog. A rescue mostly lab-mutt. This dog sees me every day and after two years, still barks at me fearfully when I come home.
Emotional support dogs may be one thing but you put PIT in the title of this thread, so to simply push off people talking about the attack on pits as derailing while saying "Oh this breed needs to go" is evident of your bias. It doesn't matter what disclaimer is used. Some individual dogs are just like individual people, regardless of their breed. It doesn't warrant culling of a genetic makeup. Open your eyes.
mic drop bc d word it, this site deserves better.
edit on 28-2-2019 by Lynexon because: (no reason given)

edit on 28-2-2019 by Lynexon because: (no reason given)

edit on 28-2-2019 by Lynexon because: format

posted on Feb, 28 2019 @ 03:16 AM
link   
a reply to: starviego

Anyway they don't worry people as much as my support King Cobra does....

Want to worry people , get an Aussie snake , King Cobra , amatuer hour .

posted on Feb, 28 2019 @ 04:30 AM
link   
a reply to: PraetorianAZ

wel to each there own

posted on Feb, 28 2019 @ 04:36 AM
link   
sick of seeing that # period,

emotional support.

grow the # up.

Look I love dogs but what a #ing idiot.

new topics

top topics