It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Emotional Support Pit Bull Dog Allowed at Airport --- Oops

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+14 more 
posted on Feb, 27 2019 @ 07:18 PM
link   
Let me start by saying I think that breed should be allowed to go the way of the dodo bird. I have personal reasons for saying that, so anytime I see one of these articles, it causes me to cringe. This time, it involves a little 5-year old child.

WARNING: This story contains a graphic photo below.

The mother of a 5-year-old girl mauled in the face by a pit bull at Portland International Airport has filed a $1.1 million lawsuit against the Port of Portland for allegedly letting a dangerous “emotional support animal” into the airport without a carrier.

Stavley said Brannan was carrying what looked like a form letter from her therapist, saying her animal was an emotional support animal.

www.oregonlive.com...
I think it is time to rethink this whole "emotional support animal" issue.

I don't think they should be allowed on airplanes, in restaurants, or other closed-in public areas. Am I over-reacting?
edit on 27-2-2019 by queenofswords because: (no reason given)

+29 more 
posted on Feb, 27 2019 @ 07:23 PM
link   
a reply to: queenofswords

The entire idea that you are such a fragile human being that you need a pet with you at all times is just stupid.

If you are such a fragile human being that you cannot go anywhere without an animal then take it home and check into therapy or your local hospital.

Or as an alternate, give the animal to a local shelter (because you are not obviously capable of taking care of an animal anymore, much less yourself) then go home and spend some time...

Growing the phuck up.

The idea behind emotional support animals and travel is just crazy, and obviously (in this case) does harm to others.

So sorry to hear about the poor child.

edit on 27-2-2019 by Lumenari because: (no reason given)

+2 more 
posted on Feb, 27 2019 @ 07:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Lumenari

I know. Did you see the picture. That little girl is going to have scars.

I think the whole emotional support animal thing is being abused.

I was standing outside a restaurant and a couple drove up with out-of-state license plates. They got out and each one had a dog on a leash and went inside the restaurant. No. I don't buy it.

posted on Feb, 27 2019 @ 07:31 PM
link   
Poor kid.

Are emotional support dogs supposed to be muzzled in crowded areas?
edit on 27-2-2019 by Realtruth because: (no reason given)

edit on 27-2-2019 by Realtruth because: (no reason given)

+11 more 
posted on Feb, 27 2019 @ 07:32 PM
link   

There are no bad dogs, only bad owners.

Pit bulls, and actually the dog is an American Staffordshire Terrier, but "Pit Bull mauls child" triggers the ignorant, are wonderful animals. Extremely smart, friendly and loyal.

I agree, the whole emotional support animal thing is nonsense. But that lady should be put down, not the dog.

+5 more 
posted on Feb, 27 2019 @ 07:38 PM
link   
Don't blame the breed blame the owner. I have a rescue Pitt and she is the sweetest thing you have ever met. I know you said you have your reasons but if you were attacked by a black man would you hate all black men for the rest of your life?

Hating a breed for being a breed is the most ignorant intolerant and backward thing and I would argue it is a form of racism.

BTW I have been attacked by 2 different dogs on two different occasions and neither dog was a pittbull.

posted on Feb, 27 2019 @ 07:39 PM
link   

I was bitten at 10 years old by a chow mix; had to go to hospital and have stitches. There are so many stories about pit bulls that have attacked spontaneously unprovoked that I have come to believe there is something inherently wrong with the breed. Sure there are exceptions to the rule; I would never own because they scare me- to be honest.

I do want to disclose that I have a chihuahua minpin mix(adopted from shelter), and have a miniature dachshund. I think I am their support human.

posted on Feb, 27 2019 @ 07:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: Onlyyouknow

I was bitten at 10 years old by a chow mix; had to go to hospital and have stitches. There are so many stories about pit bulls that have attacked spontaneously unprovoked that I have come to believe there is something inherently wrong with the breed. Sure there are exceptions to the rule; I would never own because they scare me- to be honest.

I do want to disclose that I have a chihuahua minpin mix(adopted from shelter), and have a miniature dachshund. I think I am their support human.

Strong Breeds require a strong owner. Its not that they are violent but if you are not the Alpha to them you have no control.

posted on Feb, 27 2019 @ 07:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: queenofswords
a reply to: Lumenari

I know. Did you see the picture. That little girl is going to have scars.

I think the whole emotional support animal thing is being abused.

I was standing outside a restaurant and a couple drove up with out-of-state license plates. They got out and each one had a dog on a leash and went inside the restaurant. No. I don't buy it.

My wife drove to a big city near where we lived to help out at some reiki symposium or something that they were paying her for because of the stuff she does.

She has a little dog she adores, a lapdog. 8 pounds or something.

She was't allowed to take the thing because the hotel they put her up in doesn't accept pets... no big deal.

When she got there, she checked in, got unpacked wand wandered down for a salad.

There were two people there with BIG dogs on leases that were huddled up under the table.

Later, she went back up to her room and noticed that the two had a room a few doors down from hers.

Curious, she asked how they were allowed to have dogs there.

Licensed therapy dogs, they were.

I checked into it later and in that state "therapy dogs" fall under the same licensing requirements and laws as "service dogs".

The license costs 50 bucks and the requirement for it is a letter from a therapist.

The whole idea of "service dogs" has been abused to the extreme.

It really needs to be stopped.

posted on Feb, 27 2019 @ 07:41 PM
link   
a reply to: watchitburn

Yea.. If you train it very well and keep close watch of the dog. Pit bulls are dangerous with bad owners.

They result in the most attacks per year. You can't know how well trained or behaved a pit bull is without really knowing the owner..

posted on Feb, 27 2019 @ 07:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: PraetorianAZ
Don't blame the breed blame the owner. I have a rescue Pitt and she is the sweetest thing you have ever met. I know you said you have your reasons but if you were attacked by a black man would you hate all black men for the rest of your life?

Hating a breed for being a breed is the most ignorant intolerant and backward thing and I would argue it is a form of racism.

BTW I have been attacked by 2 different dogs on two different occasions and neither dog was a pittbull.

Nice rant.

Can we get back to the part where we were talking about emotional therapy dogs and their owners?

Because if the owner isn't emotionally capable of going anywhere without a pit bull, then yes... blame the owner, not the dog.

I'm guessing that the emotionally stunted owner isn't the right owner for the dog....

posted on Feb, 27 2019 @ 07:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: PraetorianAZ

originally posted by: Onlyyouknow

Strong Breeds require a strong owner. Its not that they are violent but if you are not the Alpha to them you have no control.

I am pretty alpha, just not when it comes to pit bulls. I am not willing to take on the financial responsibility that comes with the potential for unprovoked attacks from that breed.

posted on Feb, 27 2019 @ 07:47 PM
link   

One person's emotional support animal is a health risk to a person with serious allergic response issues, or other immune response issues complicated by animals.
But Leftists never actually cared about disaffected people, like those with REAL disabilities.

edit on 27-2-2019 by pirhanna because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2019 @ 07:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Onlyyouknow

that have attacked spontaneously unprovoked

Exactly. Too many incidents have left me doubting the safety of this breed.

I'm sure there are many many "sweet" pits....but, there is a reason they are banned in some cities and apartment buildings require an extra deposit.

Back to the emotional support aspect, I know someone that wanted to be able to take her pit bull everywhere she went, including shopping. All she had to do was fill out a form online, pay $75, and get the emotional support license for the dog. She didn't care that she lied. She' was just concerned with herself and her own convenience, imo.

posted on Feb, 27 2019 @ 08:02 PM
link   
I have a friend that has the biggest Pitt bull I have ever seen. He is very kind( never has attacked anyone) ; my friend still keeps him in a closed room when friends are over because....

+1 more 
posted on Feb, 27 2019 @ 08:12 PM
link   
a reply to: PraetorianAZ

Jesus Christ, can we please acknowledge the fact that humans aren't the same as dogs? I get it, pet owners seem to find joy and purpose in humanizing their animals, but my God... The black man (or any human being) has an individual ability to rationalize, reason, and personally analyze any action they choose to take... animals still run largely off of raw instinct. Yeah, to some degree it is the owner's fault, but centuries of breeding an animal to tear people's faces off will (shocker of shockers) give you an animal that will, often without cause or warning, tear people's faces off.

Much like with the neighborhood serial killers being called "quiet, nice, and respectful" by neighbors after they're found out, everyone always says a dog that attacks some feckless kid was "the kindest, sweetest animal ever." It's sugar coating reality and does a disservice to the fact that some breeds of dog are inherently more dangerous and unpredictable than others.

posted on Feb, 27 2019 @ 08:13 PM
link   

........because......she knows.

I have read a lot about them because of personal experience, and I just don't trust them, especially around children. Most of the time when a pit mauls somebody or some other animal, the owner always says, "but, he has never shown aggressiveness. He's the sweetest dog I have ever owned. I just don't understand."

If I had to sit next to someone on an airplane with an emotional support pit bull, I would be very nervous. I just think the whole thing about bringing a support animal on an airplane is ridiculous anyway, and just another silly thing being pushed down the general population's throat.

posted on Feb, 27 2019 @ 08:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: queenofswords

........because......she knows.

I have read a lot about them because of personal experience, and I just don't trust them, especially around children. Most of the time when a pit mauls somebody or some other animal, the owner always says, "but, he has never shown aggressiveness. He's the sweetest dog I have ever owned. I just don't understand."

If I had to sit next to someone on an airplane with an emotional support pit bull, I would be very nervous. I just think the whole thing about bringing a support animal on an airplane is ridiculous anyway, and just another silly thing being pushed down the general population's throat.

Exactly- I imagine it is a very real voice in the back of her head; Thank goodness.

I would be sweating bullets if I had to sit next to a pit bull on a plane. There would be two options for me:
1- leave plane and fly later

2- roll that drink cart over here- a human and dog are about to get drunken.

posted on Feb, 27 2019 @ 08:29 PM
link   
Its already been said but I will say it again.
Don't blame the breed, blame the owner.
Pitbulls are an incredibly smart and loyal breed, they have a better temperament than golden retrievers ( that is true) and because they have been exploited by bad people for bad things, people are scared of them.
I and my family and friends have had them for years and they were all different, one of our best farm dogs was a pitbull, he would wait for the ok and then heard the cows when they needed to be moved, the others were just as smart.
None of them ever hurt anyone. We just rescued a two year old girl two weeks ago and she is incredibly smart, she is already snuggling with our other dog, and she is learning that the cat is the boss ,so please don't blame an entire breed when you don't really know what you are talking about.
As posted above...If a person attacked you, would you want that whole race to go away?

posted on Feb, 27 2019 @ 08:30 PM
link   
Dbl, posted at the 28 mim.
edit on 27080000002 by JHumm because: (no reason given)

<<   2  3  4 >>

join