It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Virginia first lady under fire for handing cotton to African American students

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 28 2019 @ 08:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

I took a plantation tour outside New Orleans and the docent, dressed up in full southern belle attire, told the group that 'slavery wasn't too bad' since you got fed and housed.

Yes..... since then they have made slavery more sophisticated. Now the slaves have to house themselves and buy food.....

posted on Feb, 28 2019 @ 08:41 AM
link   
a reply to: IAMTAT

I think there is a lot of room for education of our young about the reality of our past. All of it is not pretty, and if we are truly interested in making America great, the truth of where we where is a good place to start, to make sure we are headed in the right direction.

It is believed that most people learn easier by seeing and touching. Picking cotton was a difficult, tedious, repetitive, and painful task. I think they should go a step further and allow those that want to learn about it, let them actually go out in a cotton field a pick a bit of cotton.

I noticed that the young people in my family have a hard time understanding how bad it was for some of our ancestors. Because of the sacrifices and the lives of many of our ancestors, they are living a life that someone really died for.

Allowing the media to make a mockery of our true history, allowing the media to foster the belief that learning, the truth, should be rejected and sugar coated, is a a lost for our children, not a win.

posted on Feb, 28 2019 @ 08:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: Itisnowagain

Yes..... since then they have made slavery more sophisticated. Now the slaves have to house themselves and buy food.....

I think I'll take my existence over theirs any day of the week and twice on Saturn's Day.

posted on Feb, 28 2019 @ 10:34 AM
link   
Cotton picking is a big part of the heritage of some of the Black people. Just because they were slaves and picked cotton does not mean that they cannot be proud of their ancestors even if they were slaves at the time.

I would think that cotton would not be a bad thing, unless of course some radical minded people made it bad. Yes, slavery was bad, and making sure that things do not go backwards is important. But I do not think that this gesture should be slammed because the blacks picking cotton contributed to the building of this nation.

posted on Feb, 28 2019 @ 12:59 PM
link   
Purity test failed!
Next...

top topics

<< 1   >>

join