It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Global Warming in Buffalo? / IceTsunami Forces Residents To Evacuate Along Lake Erie

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 27 2019 @ 10:31 AM
link   
So fresh from the barnyard and right out of the gate; I used to live in Grand Island New York and drove along that highway for years. Wicked winds broke the ice boom that extends from New York To Ontario, Canada across the mouth of the Niagara River. The boom is basically there to keep huge chunks of ice from getting into the water intakes at the Power Generation plants downstream. In over 24 years I never saw anything like this. What I do recall is that my PHD professor in my Thermal Dynamics class said in 1996 that he thought Global warming was all bee sheet and that true "global warming" as in global deserts would never happen as the moisture would rise and cause clouds to shelter the earth from the sun. From what I remember we conducted vast experiments to prove his theory. Well, clouds and snow are the result along with ice in winter and look at the videos!

#NiagaraParks #LakeErie #NiagaraRiver 25 Feet High IceTsunami Forces Residents To Evacuate Along Lake Erie

www.youtube.com...

And.....................

www.wkbw.com...

edit on 27-2-2019 by Waterglass because: added

edit on 27-2-2019 by Waterglass because: typo

edit on 27-2-2019 by Waterglass because: typo and added

edit on 27-2-2019 by Waterglass because: remove link and replaced with another was a duplicate

posted on Feb, 27 2019 @ 10:39 AM
link   
a reply to: Waterglass

Before it's news is a garbage source. This is not a new phenomenon:

Ice tsunamis—also known as “ice shoves” and “ivu,” among other names—are rare, but well-documented events. According to National Geographic’s Michael Greshko, ice tsunamis were being studied as far back as 1822, when an American naturalist commented on “rocks, on level ground, taking up a gradual line of march [along a lakebed] and overcoming every obstacle in ... escaping the dominion of Neptune.”

Furious Winds Lead to ‘Ice Tsunamis’ Along Lake Erie

The shores of many lakes are altered by the action of expanding ice cover and wind-blown ice cakes. As far back as 1822 Lee I reported moving rocks in Connecticut. Later many articles ha'e dealt with the origin of ice action features, notably articles b y Buckley 2 and by Gilbert 3 on -' isconsin, by Tyrrell4 on northern Canada, and by Hellaakoski 5 on Finland.

ICE ACTION ON NEW ENGLAND LAKES
edit on 27-2-2019 by jadedANDcynical because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2019 @ 10:44 AM
link   
It's really crazy.

For a civilisation that spends 97% of their existence indoors to worry about the weather.

Food for thought.

posted on Feb, 27 2019 @ 10:45 AM
link   

Interesting!

Important to point out that individual weather events aren't evidence of climate change, in either direction. Climate is a long-term pattern of weather (which definitely seems to be changing BTW). That said, we can't use isolated incidents for or against the idea of Global Warming.

I am not sure what clouds rising and "sheltering" the Earth from the sun would do though - to protect the Earth that is. Global Warming is all about the buildup of "greenhouse gases" and raising the temperature of the planet by retaining the heat from the Sun and trapping it within the atmosphere, not from direct exposure. Most of the components of Sunlight passes through cloud cover with no issue, hence why we can all still tell it's daytime when it's overcast and should still wear sunscreen on cloudy days.

posted on Feb, 27 2019 @ 10:48 AM
link   
a reply to: jadedANDcynical

Yes much of there stuff is FAKE. But now and then they have a real live lead that checks out but you have to work it to prove it or debunk it.

posted on Feb, 27 2019 @ 10:54 AM
link   
a reply to: VoiceOfTheEmperor

Pollution is the solution to stopping the Earth from heating up. Otherwise we're just a part of its normal weather pattern that has been happening for billions of years.

posted on Feb, 27 2019 @ 10:56 AM
link   
That has nothing to do with global warming, that is actually a common occurance on the great lakes ever since I was a kid. I was told it has always been like that some years. It is cool seeing that on Lake Superior, it happens to some extent every year, but occasionally it is way worse. I know someone who got their whole camp knocked off the foundation about fifteen years ago because of that. It got pushed about five feet over. They can be powerful.

Not related to global warming, common for a very long time around here next to the big lakes..

posted on Feb, 27 2019 @ 10:57 AM
link   

To advocates of GW, any weather event is evidence of GW. A consensus of scientist agree.

posted on Feb, 27 2019 @ 10:57 AM
link   

Well we all agreed with our Professor who was a Democrat so we would get our A.Wink wink. We also did a study on how long it would take to cool a room temperature can of warm 12 ounce beer can to optimal drinking temperature. Numbers were proven.

As far as greenhouse gas goes you do realize that burning a wood log in a fireplace will out gas the same amount of CO2 into the atmosphere as it rotting in the forest. I still wonder why that Volcanoes are kind of dissed off by the CO2 crowd.

Even old growth forests give off CO2 versus young growth that removes. Cow gas? The hell with cows. Look at all the Obesity Beasties running around. Not to mention the strain they put on the public sewers.

ete.cet.edu.../volcanoes_greenhouse/
edit on 27-2-2019 by Waterglass because: link error

Volcanoes, Greenhouse Gases, and Temperature Change You have probably already heard the term “greenhouse gas” in science class or on the news, and you may have wondered what is so special about these gases. You learned the atmosphere is the layer of gases surrounding Earth, and quite a few of the greenhouse gases occur naturally. So, what’s the problem? A greenhouse gas (GHG) is any gas in the atmosphere that takes in (absorbs) and gives off (emits) radiation in the heat (infrared) wavelength range. Greenhouse gases cause the greenhouse effect, which results in increased temperatures on Earth. The Greenhouse Effect Source: National Climatic Data Center-NOAA Paleoclimatology The greenhouse effect occurs as solar radiation reaches the Earth’s surface. As the sun’s energy heats the surface, some of the heat energy radiates back into the atmosphere as infrared radiation and back toward space. But greenhouse gases in the atmosphere absorb some of the infrared radiation energy and “trap” it in the lower atmosphere. Less heat radiates into space, and the Earth is warmer. Many greenhouse gases occur naturally. Carbon dioxide, methane, water vapor, and nitrous oxide are naturally present in Earth’s atmosphere. Others, such as chorofluorocarbons (CFCs), hydrofluorocarbons (HFCs), perfluorocarbons (PFCs), and sulfur hexafluoride (SF6), are human made. Since the Industrial Revolution atmospheric greenhouse gas concentrations have been rising. Increasing population and increased use of fossil fuels for energy result in a sharp rise in greenhouse gases, especially CO2, and increased temperatures. Volcanoes also give off greenhouse gases. The most abundant gas released from volcanic eruptions is water vapor. Other emitted gases include carbon dioxide (CO2), sulfur dioxide (SO2), hydrogen sulfide (H2S), carbon monoxide (CO), hydrogen chloride (HCl), and hydrogen fluoride (HF). Read about the characteristics and implications of some of the major greenhouse gases below. Use the Related Links and other resources in this module to investigate other volcanic greenhouse gases and their effects on global climate. Water Vapor Water vapor is the most abundant greenhouse gas in Earth’s atmosphere. Changes in the concentration of water vapor in our atmosphere are not attributed directly to industrialization, but to feedbacks related to climate warming. Although the water cycle is well understood, feedback loops connecting the water cycle and climate changes are still poorly understood for the most part. Of course, some feedback mechanisms are accepted. As temperatures in the atmosphere increase, evaporation of water increases. Evaporation increases at all water reservoir sites—groundwater, rivers, streams, oceans, soils. Because the air is warm, the water can “hold” more moisture. The increased amounts of water vapor in the atmosphere can then absorb more thermal energy radiated from the Earth, and this further warms the atmosphere. (This is called a positive feedback loop because the effect increases with each part of the cycle.) The water vapor eventually condenses and forms clouds. Clouds can reflect some solar radiation and result in a cooling effect. How much of a cooling effect this can have is variable and difficult to measure accurately. Carbon Dioxide Two observatories at the Mauna Loa Observatory complex in Hawaii. Image courtesy: NASA Earth Observatory. Carbon dioxide is perhaps the most widely studied greenhouse gas. Dr. Charles Keeling, an American scientist, began recording atmospheric carbon dioxide measurements at the summit of the Mauna Loa Observatory in 1958. His studies were the first to warn the world of the anthropogenic (human caused) contributions to global warming. A result of his extended studies, the famous “Keeling Curve,” documented the ongoing buildup of carbon dioxide in Earth’s atmosphere. Dr. Keeling and his team’s data also showed a strong seasonal variation in carbon dioxide levels. Peak levels occur in late winter in the Northern Hemisphere. Lowest levels occur in spring and early summer. Notice that the variations can be explained by considering what is happening to plant growth during those times. Plant growth in spring and early summer reduces atmospheric CO2 through the process of photosynthesis; during winter, plants cannot have the same mediating effects, and atmospheric CO2 rises. Other processes affect CO2 concentrations. Geologic (rocks, soil) and hydrologic (water) processes and cycles also affect both the emission and uptake of carbon dioxide from Earth’s environments. Anthropogenic processes have altered the natural balance mechanisms. Concentrations were fairly stable at 280 ppm (parts per million) before the Industrial Revolution. Now, they hover around 370 ppm and are still increasing

edit on 27-2-2019 by Waterglass because: Blame NASA for link error. strange

posted on Feb, 27 2019 @ 10:58 AM
link   

There's a whole new movie franchise there!

SharkIceTsunaminado coming soon...

posted on Feb, 27 2019 @ 11:01 AM
link   
Record sized ice tsunami, record low temperatures and snowfalls across the northeast, record snowfall in PHOENIX ARIZONA, Sierra Nevadas getting pummeled with record snowfalls, the polar caps actually getting thicker at record rates for the last ten years,
Where is this global warming I keep hearing about?

posted on Feb, 27 2019 @ 11:01 AM
link   
a reply to: LSU2018

I thought taxing the air,rain, and banning fossil fuels,nuclear,airplanes,cow farts and giving people free healthcare and education was the solution to 'climate change'..

Breathe in the electrification!

edit on 27-2-2019 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2019 @ 11:02 AM
link   
I remember watching a documentary on this phenomena, and if memory serves this was the explanation;

Prevailing winds begin to blow and shift massive floating ice sheets over time, and these ice sheets are seriously weighty.

Imagine a fully loaded container ship several miles long; once it's set in motion, it's incredibly difficult to stop - there are no brakes.

I'd say that this is what we're seeing in the footage you posted,

Here's a well known example;

posted on Feb, 27 2019 @ 11:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: chr0naut

There's a whole new movie franchise there!

SharkIceTsunaminado coming soon...

Ummm...I can hardly wait for the eighth sequel...

YouSir

posted on Feb, 27 2019 @ 11:10 AM
link   
The news articles says a wind storm (70mph) pushed the ice. As ice is naturally occuring, how is this evidence of anything other than a windstorm pushing ice up out of the water?

posted on Feb, 27 2019 @ 11:20 AM
link   
a reply to: Fools

No, see I paid a bunch of scientists with some big oil money and now their consensus agrees with me.

I am aware of logs producing C02, but naturally they would release the gas slowly, as opposed to quickly when being burned. I am not sure where you're getting your stats about old growth vs new growth; all plants I am aware of absorb more carbon than they end up emitting. That's just the basic biological function of most plants, but the efficiency of absorption varies.

As for volcanoes:

Human activities emit 60 or more times the amount of carbon dioxide released by volcanoes each year.

posted on Feb, 27 2019 @ 11:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: Waterglass

Well we all agreed with our Professor who was a Democrat so we would get our A.Wink wink. We also did a study on how long it would take to cool a room temperature can of warm 12 ounce beer can to optimal drinking temperature. Numbers were proven.

As far as greenhouse gas goes you do realize that burning a wood log in a fireplace will out gas the same amount of CO2 into the atmosphere as it rotting in the forest. I still wonder why that Volcanoes are kind of dissed off by the CO2 crowd.

Even old growth forests give off CO2 versus young growth that removes. Cow gas? The hell with cows. Look at all the Obesity Beasties running around. Not to mention the strain they put on the public sewers.

ete.cet.edu.../volcanoes_greenhouse/

Volcanoes, Greenhouse Gases, and Temperature Change You have probably already heard the term “greenhouse gas” in science class or on the news, and you may have wondered what is so special about these gases. You learned the atmosphere is the layer of gases surrounding Earth, and quite a few of the greenhouse gases occur naturally. So, what’s the problem? A greenhouse gas (GHG) is any gas in the atmosphere that takes in (absorbs) and gives off (emits) radiation in the heat (infrared) wavelength range. Greenhouse gases cause the greenhouse effect, which results in increased temperatures on Earth. The Greenhouse Effect Source: National Climatic Data Center-NOAA Paleoclimatology The greenhouse effect occurs as solar radiation reaches the Earth’s surface. As the sun’s energy heats the surface, some of the heat energy radiates back into the atmosphere as infrared radiation and back toward space. But greenhouse gases in the atmosphere absorb some of the infrared radiation energy and “trap” it in the lower atmosphere. Less heat radiates into space, and the Earth is warmer. Many greenhouse gases occur naturally. Carbon dioxide, methane, water vapor, and nitrous oxide are naturally present in Earth’s atmosphere. Others, such as chorofluorocarbons (CFCs), hydrofluorocarbons (HFCs), perfluorocarbons (PFCs), and sulfur hexafluoride (SF6), are human made. Since the Industrial Revolution atmospheric greenhouse gas concentrations have been rising. Increasing population and increased use of fossil fuels for energy result in a sharp rise in greenhouse gases, especially CO2, and increased temperatures. Volcanoes also give off greenhouse gases. The most abundant gas released from volcanic eruptions is water vapor. Other emitted gases include carbon dioxide (CO2), sulfur dioxide (SO2), hydrogen sulfide (H2S), carbon monoxide (CO), hydrogen chloride (HCl), and hydrogen fluoride (HF). Read about the characteristics and implications of some of the major greenhouse gases below. Use the Related Links and other resources in this module to investigate other volcanic greenhouse gases and their effects on global climate. Water Vapor Water vapor is the most abundant greenhouse gas in Earth’s atmosphere. Changes in the concentration of water vapor in our atmosphere are not attributed directly to industrialization, but to feedbacks related to climate warming. Although the water cycle is well understood, feedback loops connecting the water cycle and climate changes are still poorly understood for the most part. Of course, some feedback mechanisms are accepted. As temperatures in the atmosphere increase, evaporation of water increases. Evaporation increases at all water reservoir sites—groundwater, rivers, streams, oceans, soils. Because the air is warm, the water can “hold” more moisture. The increased amounts of water vapor in the atmosphere can then absorb more thermal energy radiated from the Earth, and this further warms the atmosphere. (This is called a positive feedback loop because the effect increases with each part of the cycle.) The water vapor eventually condenses and forms clouds. Clouds can reflect some solar radiation and result in a cooling effect. How much of a cooling effect this can have is variable and difficult to measure accurately. Carbon Dioxide Two observatories at the Mauna Loa Observatory complex in Hawaii. Image courtesy: NASA Earth Observatory. Carbon dioxide is perhaps the most widely studied greenhouse gas. Dr. Charles Keeling, an American scientist, began recording atmospheric carbon dioxide measurements at the summit of the Mauna Loa Observatory in 1958. His studies were the first to warn the world of the anthropogenic (human caused) contributions to global warming. A result of his extended studies, the famous “Keeling Curve,” documented the ongoing buildup of carbon dioxide in Earth’s atmosphere. Dr. Keeling and his team’s data also showed a strong seasonal variation in carbon dioxide levels. Peak levels occur in late winter in the Northern Hemisphere. Lowest levels occur in spring and early summer. Notice that the variations can be explained by considering what is happening to plant growth during those times. Plant growth in spring and early summer reduces atmospheric CO2 through the process of photosynthesis; during winter, plants cannot have the same mediating effects, and atmospheric CO2 rises. Other processes affect CO2 concentrations. Geologic (rocks, soil) and hydrologic (water) processes and cycles also affect both the emission and uptake of carbon dioxide from Earth’s environments. Anthropogenic processes have altered the natural balance mechanisms. Concentrations were fairly stable at 280 ppm (parts per million) before the Industrial Revolution. Now, they hover around 370 ppm and are still increasing

They can tax volcanoes if they want, humanity is always over-taxing nature.

posted on Feb, 27 2019 @ 12:20 PM
link   

Agree with you 100% on the log burning. But the freaking forest fires in California. They are terrible. I did my own check into CO2 back in 2007. I just wanted to know what was fact versus fiction. At that time I read a bunch of university and government papers and the common them was that once a tree reaches a certain age it begins to out gas CO2 verses its early life when it absorbs CO2 as a young plant. the same goes for grass. I am not sure about weeds. In nurseries they will pump in CO2 into the greenhouses as the plants absorb it and it accelerates their growth.

Now I am reading some articles that are alluding to obesity is a result of increased CO2 in the atmosphere. Well dinosaurs and trees back in that age were huge so it does make one wonder.

So here's a thing and yes its a pain in the arse and smelly but; what do you do personally with your vegetable scraps and leftover or stale veggies. We bury them back into the soil in the garden or near the root base of a plant or tree. It ends up supercharging the plant and if the soil is tilled you would be surprised what pops up even after 20 years. Tomatoes with flavor. Acorn squash, Peppers and Pumpkins. We have a manicured yard but along a 275' berm next to the neighbors we rotate that stuff in and it seems like the plants are happy and the soil remains conditioned. I don't know what happens to the CO2.

I believe that the earth is warming but is man 100% at fault. NO. However I really like the pursuit of solar. Its just too bad the USA has solar so so stuff in my OPINE and the best stuff is built and sold in Asia Pacific. i tried to by their panels engineered in Australia but they cannot be exported into the USA. Must be a protection thing.

posted on Feb, 27 2019 @ 12:31 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

Way too many gasoline powered sports toy things on wheels in the forest and in water. Everything from Sea-Doos in water to 4 x 4 trail rigs for the big boys. Did you ever hunt? I did and if you do it the old way.. .. walking. You will drop 7 pounds that day as one would walk miles up and down hills, ravines, etc. Sometimes we would go out just to get the work out. The gun was secondary. Assuming there a a NWO, I don't understand why they really do not push good health. $$$ for Bug Pharma? OK. Depopulate quicker?

Are the obese sterile? Now that would be a good thread if true.

posted on Feb, 27 2019 @ 02:20 PM
link   
Happens all the time on the Saginaw Bay in Michigan. Lots of fun to watch.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join