It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Top General in charge of Homeland Defense states there is no military threat on the southern border

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 26 2019 @ 11:41 PM
link   
So the reasoning for Trump declaring a state of emergency was because, well that there was an emergency on the southern border that needed immediate attention. One of those reasons was that tons of drugs and illegal immigrants were pouring through the border. Yet, according to his own administration only a small percentage occurred between ports of entry. [1]

"And a big majority of the big drugs -- the big drug loads don't go through ports of entry."

He also mentioned a large number of “taped up women” being carried across the border, but the problem is no one has a clue what he is talking about. [2]

"They can't see women with tape on their mouth or three women whose hands are tied."

Additionally, border crossings are at a 46 year low, so why declare an emergency now?[3]

Finally, Trump even stayed that he spoke to several generals who agreed with the need for the wall and national emergency. However, he never once named them and so far none have come forward to confirm his story

"I was speaking to a couple of them. They think this is far more important than what they were going to use it for."

Until today that is. Today a general finally went on the record about the wall and it was exactly the opposite of what Trump claimed. He stated under oath to Congress that there was no emergency on the southern border. [4]

Under pointed questioning from senators, the top U.S. general for homeland defense said Tuesday that he sees no military threat coming from the southern border with Mexico, but his focus is on “very real” threats from China and Russia.

Air Force Gen. Terrence O’Shaughnessy, commander, U.S. Northern Command and North American Aerospace Defense Command, told a Senate committee that proposed barriers along the U.S.-Mexico border could increase security against any potential military threats coming from the south. But he said Russia’s advancements in training and capabilities, and its intent to hold the U.S. at risk, present an urgent threat to America.

It’s is apparent that there is no need for an emergency declaration for the “situation” at the southern border. The only reason for it is because our president did not make a border wall a priority while he had control of all branches of government. So what was his legislative focus during that time? Repeal of Obamacare and tax cuts for the wealthy to name a few.

Then, right before he is about to lose the House and under pressure from right wing talk show hosts he finally decides to act on his campaign promise (minus the part about Mexico). Instead of offering compromise such as reinstating DACA in exchange for border wall money, (before you get started something permanent not temporary, since he was asking for a permanent wall he should be willing to offer something permanent in return. He should know that since he is such an amazing deal maker....) he threw a temper tantrum and shut the government down for the longest period in history without any plan.

Instead of taking responsibility for his inaction like any good leader, Trump refused to take responsibility for his failure to address this campaign promise while he had a chance to pass it and instead blamed the Democrats.

I truly hope our country survives Trump, but honestly I’m not sure we will. Why? Because even though Trump lies about everything from his height and crowd size of his inauguration to a national emergency people still lap up his bull# like it’s mana from heaven. It’s absolutely staggering to see people contort their minds into pretzels just to defend Trump. I know there is scientific reasoning behind it[5], but honestly it makes me pessimistic for the future of this nation.

So, with all this information and an outright declaration from the top general over defense of the homeland stating this emergency is bull#, why do you still believe Trump was right?

[1] www.dea.gov...
[2] www.washingtonpost.com... term=.c7e798e582be
[3] www.npr.org...
[4] www.apnews.com...
[5] www.psychologytoday.com...

+11 more 
posted on Feb, 26 2019 @ 11:49 PM
link   
There is no military threat coming from Mexico, the military does not deal with drug smugglers and the cartel. That does not mean that our military money can't be used to secure the border better though, there could be terrorists crossing somewhere. A military threat is when an army comes across the border, a homeland security threat is when criminals and terrorists come in.

We need a wall down there, It does not need to be continuous, we can lower costs of border security with a wall or high fence, right now it costs a real lot to watch that area, the cost could go down enough to pay back the wall expense within say ten years. The wall is a good investment. The border security agents can be reassigned to go after other ways the drugs are getting into the country.

posted on Feb, 26 2019 @ 11:56 PM
link   
a reply to: BlackJackal

Its an economic threat and a threat to our national sovreignty.

No country has open borders, so maybe we can put asylum in perspective. Lets say you were put into witness protection, but the people you were hiding from were given a free pass to hunt you down; Would you have any objections? I would, and like it or not I would defend your lousy ass so you didnt have to live in fear of whatever atrocity you escaped.
edit on 26-2-2019 by drewlander because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2019 @ 11:59 PM
link   

One of those reasons was that tons of drugs and illegal immigrants were pouring through the border. Yet, according to his own administration only a small percentage occurred between ports of entry.

Ok, so if there is only a small percentage "occurring between ports of entry,' then would stand to reason that the majority are not.
From your first source:

Clandestinely produced fentanyl is trafficked into the United States primarily from China and Mexico, and is responsible for the ongoing fentanyl epidemic.

Epidemic? Sounds like an emergency, no?

It's cool you found a couple of folks who disagree with Trump to support your own bias as well.

posted on Feb, 27 2019 @ 12:02 AM
link   

One of those reasons was that tons of drugs and illegal immigrants were pouring through the border. Yet, according to his own administration only a small percentage occurred between ports of entry.

The point of the wall is to stop the drugs from coming between ports of entry, where there are no security checks. The “small percentage” is only the amounts they are aware of. At points of entry there are security checks. Obviously more drugs are captured where there is more security.

Additionally, border crossings are at a 46 year low, so why declare an emergency now?[3]

That’s wrong. Apprehensions for illegal crossings are at an all time low. That says exactly nothing about those who were never apprehended. A wall is intended to fix that. So why misrepresent that?

He also mentioned a large number of “taped up women” being carried across the border, but the problem is no one has a clue what he is talking about. [2]

Or, maybe the president has seen evidence these “experts” have not, and they are ignorant to it.

Until today that is. Today a general finally went on the record about the wall and it was exactly the opposite of what Trump claimed. He stated under oath to Congress that there was no emergency on the southern border. [4]

He clearly said there was no military threat at the southern border. Why pretend he said there is no emergency at the southern border?

posted on Feb, 27 2019 @ 12:16 AM
link   

You do realize that a national emergency and requisite legislation can be enacted based on the presumption of immenent war, pandemics, natural disasters, system and nation-wide criminality, rebellion or coup, economic disasters or crisis, invasion, etc.

Cheers - Dave

posted on Feb, 27 2019 @ 12:19 AM
link   

Too bad it is the potus' opinion ONLY that matters with respect to the actual law.
Sorry yours differs.

posted on Feb, 27 2019 @ 12:27 AM
link   
Most drugs SEIZED are at ports of entry. Hard to seize them when you can just walk in and nobody is there to catch you.

posted on Feb, 27 2019 @ 12:27 AM
link   

This "Top General" is correct. Mexico is not militarily threatening the United States.

Duh?

posted on Feb, 27 2019 @ 12:32 AM
link   
The General is quite right.

There is no serious military threat from either Mexico (who are a US ally) or the cartels.

However Security does not equal Military.

posted on Feb, 27 2019 @ 12:33 AM
link   
Great there's no ""military threat on the southern border"" 😀

But there's plenty of other threats like smuggling and other illegal stuff.

Red Herring story 😀

Millions of people getting sucked into the MSM BS 😀

The pay-offs to politicians and officials are in the millions too especially Democrats 😎

😀

posted on Feb, 27 2019 @ 12:51 AM
link   

Sounds more and more echo-ey here all the time. You can count the people who question Dear Leader's methods on one hand.

"I pledge allegiance to Donald Trump..."

posted on Feb, 27 2019 @ 12:59 AM
link   
So a question that was clearly centered around the comments made by Trump were actually talking about a completely separate issue somehow?

Mincing words and playing semantics seem to be pretty effective strategies I guess? Can't say I'm surprised. 😂

posted on Feb, 27 2019 @ 01:01 AM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

Millions of people getting sucked into the MSM BS 😀 

Coming from one of the main pushers of it around here. 😂

posted on Feb, 27 2019 @ 01:56 AM
link   

I agree that we need a southern border wall. Being a Texan in Austin I've heard off duty police on local call in radio shows say that 2/3rds of the car accidents in Austin in their experience are from illegal aliens. They usually drive off to avoid the process because they do not have insurance.

I know this isn't news breaking headline stories but over all the illegals are hurting our economy on more ways than are reported. Austin is a sanctuary city and doesn't even keep records or numbers on these incidents even though the police officers see the level.

The illegals have personally affected my family several times, even today taking my Dad to a Dr.s appointment the medical assistant was crying because a person who probably was an illegal had hit her car and drove off and she was having to figure out how to restore her car and deal with her insurance who was giving her grief.

There's a loophole that keeps them from being considered a hit and run which is if they stop and say good, your'e fine and say you don't need their number and then drive off the insurance companies can't consider it a hit and run. Even though you were in pain and looking at the damage on your car as they drove off.

I know that there are many more serious crimes committed by illegals but be aware that there are everyday problems with them being here, don't even get me started on the illnesses that they carry with them and parasites if they come in illegally without being checked.

This is a national emergency that has been ignored for too many years, it's time to deal with it. I have many more run ins I could post that are pretty clear that this has been a long running problem that has affected people's lives mostly in a very bad way. Build the wall, send a message, no more illegal entries!

STM

posted on Feb, 27 2019 @ 06:02 AM
link   
That's rich.

Since the last president sent the military to Africa to go fight a disease.

posted on Feb, 27 2019 @ 06:38 AM
link   
What is “military” business there? Aren’t security/border patrols/police forces enough?

Sheezzzzaa….

posted on Feb, 27 2019 @ 06:46 AM
link   
a reply to: shooterbrody

Too bad it is the potus' opinion ONLY that matters with respect to the actual law.

The POTUS opinion doesn't matter either, his opinion doesn't dictate law.

posted on Feb, 27 2019 @ 06:52 AM
link   
This is nothing but propaganda. A military threat from a foreign government isn't even related to the drugs and human trafficking issue we have with our southern border. We all know you knew that, but I guess the sheep have to eat too.

posted on Feb, 27 2019 @ 06:57 AM
link   
So your argument is that the southern border doesn't present a threat on the level of China and Russia who have nukes, biological weapons and massive armies?

Wow!! What a shocker!

That does not in any way mean that the border isn't a national emergency.

I think Canada should build a will on the northern border to prevent the flood of refugees when the American Civil war Part 2 kicks off in about 10-15 years.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join