It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Here we go, House blocks Trump's National Emergency

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 26 2019 @ 06:44 PM
link   
www.npr.org...

The Democratic-led House approved by a 245-182 vote a resolution on Tuesday that would terminate President Trump's declaration of a national emergency at the U.S.-Mexico border

This is like a real life House of Cards episode!
Surprise Surprise. It is interesting to see which Republicans are voting with the Democrats. Only three of them so far.
It will be interesting to see what happens and to see how future presidents will use emergency powers based on what happens with this.

We are seeing similar things happen in Wisconsin. Remember what is used for one side, can just as easily be done to the other.

posted on Feb, 26 2019 @ 06:45 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

It will be DOA in the senate.

posted on Feb, 26 2019 @ 06:48 PM
link   
The only thing this really does is give the senators a chance to say where they stand on the issue. It may pass the Senate (Last I heard it was 1 vote off) but Trump will veto and it wont get enough votes to be overturned.

posted on Feb, 26 2019 @ 06:52 PM
link   
The House needed 285 votes for a veto-proof majority. The resolution is toast. Plus, the senate is struggling to find 50 votes. Unless they suspend the rules or something, the resolution won't be brought up for a vote (which usually takes 60 votes).

posted on Feb, 26 2019 @ 06:54 PM
link   
GD rhinos.

So far only three Senate Republicans — Susan Collins of Maine, Lisa Murkowski of Alaska, and Thom Tillis of North Carolina — say they will vote with Democrats in opposition to the president's actions.

Pay back is a snip.

Climate change/

Gun control.

Sue the eff out of the left when it swings back to the R's.

posted on Feb, 26 2019 @ 06:57 PM
link   

All this means is they failed to block it. They needed 2/3 of vote, the got 57 percent.

It’s over, Congress cannot block trump from using it.

posted on Feb, 26 2019 @ 07:03 PM
link   
a reply to: trb71

From what I understand, Trump cannot veto a resolution.

But, there is a 2/3 majority required to override the emergency declaration in the first place:

A joint resolution passed by both chambers requires presidential signature, giving the president veto power over the termination (requiring a two-thirds majority in both houses in the case of a contested termination)

Wikipedia

edit on 26-2-2019 by jadedANDcynical because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2019 @ 07:06 PM
link   
Well if our beloved Senate doesn't block it, then we will finally know what the real real is. Time to buckle up after that.

posted on Feb, 26 2019 @ 07:08 PM
link   

Sweet. Now Trump gets to use his first Veto to really set the radical left off

posted on Feb, 26 2019 @ 07:09 PM
link   
and they do this crap while Trumps oversea's stopping nuclear war..

classy!

Trump didnt want to Veto, it would be an embarrassment if the repubs helped dems block the bill... but, they didnt so... MAGA

posted on Feb, 26 2019 @ 07:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: jadedANDcynical
a reply to: trb71

From what I understand, Trump cannot veto a resolution.

But, there is a 2/3 majority required to override the emergency declaration in the first place:

A joint resolution passed by both chambers requires presidential signature, giving the president veto power over the termination (requiring a two-thirds majority in both houses in the case of a contested termination)

Wikipedia

You just said that from what you understand that Trump cannot veto a resolution.

For proof, you quoted...

Here's the math.

House passes resolution.

Goes to Senate, which will need to squeak by with a simple majority to get to Trump's desk (if Mitch allows the vote in the first place).

Trump vetoes it.

If he vetoes it, it will take a 2/3 majority of both houses to override his veto.

So yes, the bill is toast... it's just political points being put away for everybody's next primary.

It's nothing.

Literally.

edit on 26-2-2019 by Lumenari because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2019 @ 07:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Lumenari

Lol, I guess I should read what I post a bit closer, eh?

posted on Feb, 26 2019 @ 07:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: jadedANDcynical
a reply to: Lumenari

Lol, I guess I should read what I post a bit closer, eh?

Sorry!!!

I've done it as well.

But yea, this isn't going anywhere besides on a campaign flyer for 2020.

posted on Feb, 26 2019 @ 08:21 PM
link   

Thirteen Republicans voted with Democrats to pass the measure.

Tillis, who is up for re-election in 2020, wrote in an op-ed for The Washington Post that while he favors border security, he is concerned the President has overreached with the national emergency declaration.
"As a U.S. senator, I cannot justify providing the executive with more ways to bypass Congress," he wrote. "As a conservative, I cannot endorse a precedent that I know future left-wing presidents will exploit to advance radical policies that will erode economic and individual freedoms."

They were 3 votes short of a 2/3rds veto proof majority.

Don't get me wrong, the majority of Republican Senators and Congressmen are on board, but for even this many to vote against it, it says something and imo here's what. Every politician that's up for re-election has to carefully consider their vote, regardless of their personal opinion on a matter that.. I hate to remind you, isn't of an emergency nature in their minds, trust me. They're not losing any sleep over illegal immigrants. That's not saying it isn't urgently important, an emergency in many people's opinions, or whether or not it is indeed an emergency. I refuse to get sucked into partisan arguments and shading because I said something that makes me in cahoots with liberals or down with the Presidential posse. But, danger isn't imminent I'll say in my own opinion. It's a present level of danger to a percentage of the population that will increase, intermingled with a force multiplier of drug smuggling and the opioid problem.

For the majority of ATS members, in our daily lives, we see very little to no effect at all from the illegal immigrant problem. It's very dependent on where you live, and that can be said of the opioid problem as well. You could live in any high population area and rightfully say that the opioid problem, because of the border problem, makes it an emergency.

It's quite the dramatic, grandiose political fisticuff of this dramatic era. So much so that it seems.. extra. I wont say orchestrated, but let me put it in simple terms. If the President hadn't made it a major part of his election campaign and wasn't pushing for it, it wouldn't even be considered right now as an emergency requiring a wall asap. It's happening because he deems it an emergency, there's a mountain of propaganda behind it (all true) showing how bad the situation at the border is in many places that's been presented to back it up.
edit on 2/26/2019 by r0xor because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2019 @ 09:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lumenari
Goes to Senate, which will need to squeak by with a simple majority to get to Trump's desk (if Mitch allows the vote in the first place).

As I understand it this sort of resolution McConnell can't not allow a vote for. If there's 3 Republicans willing to vote for it in the Senate it's going to the President where he can (probably?) veto it.

posted on Feb, 26 2019 @ 09:13 PM
link   
a reply to: links234

4 is the number, actually. Although Mitch can require a 2/3 majority before it comes to a vote, if he wants to play games.

Because it did not pass in the House with a 2/3 majority.

Then we'll see if after the veto they can pull a 2/3 majority from the Senate.

Which will require 13 Republican Senators and 2 independent ones to sign off on it.

So it's just not realistically happening.

posted on Feb, 26 2019 @ 09:19 PM
link   
Mitch McConnel said today the Senate will not vote until sometime just before Spring Break, which is March 18th. Senate attorneys are still evaluating if the Emergency Declaration is legal.

posted on Feb, 26 2019 @ 09:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: links234

As I understand it this sort of resolution McConnell can't not allow a vote for. If there's 3 Republicans willing to vote for it in the Senate it's going to the President where he can (probably?) veto it.

Where on Earth did you "understand" that ? 🤯

posted on Feb, 26 2019 @ 09:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen

originally posted by: links234

Where on Earth did you "understand" that ? 🤯

🍔🍟🥤😳

edit on 2/26/2019 by r0xor because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2019 @ 09:52 PM
link   
There's a part of me that hopes this goes to the senate and passes and forces Trump to stop.

So America can see that our elected leaders do not want border security.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join