It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why does Russia pop up in everything Trump does?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 26 2019 @ 03:59 PM
link   
On the eve of Trump’s next summit with his buddy Kim, I feel it’s important to recap what happened during the last summit and look ahead to see if history repeats itself.

As many of you know the first summit between Trump and Kim occurred on June 12th 2018. Prior to the summit even beginning Trump already gave a large concession to North Korea by agreeing to a bilateral summit in which the leaders of both countries were seen as equals. This is something that North Korea has been seeking since the ceasing of hostilities of the Korean War. Trump gave it away without any concessions in return.
Shortly after the summit with North Korea Trump announced another concession without anything in return, the ending of joint military exercises with South Korea.[1] The reasoning provided by Trump was that the war games were too expensive and they were “very provocative”. This marked one of the only times in history in which an American president agreed with a communist dictator outright and was met with criticism from both parties and military officials.[2][3]

Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-SC) summed up the criticisms of Trump’s cost-saving argument: “The money we spend training with our allies is money well spent. It’s not a burden onto the American taxpayer to have a forward deployed force in South Korea. It brings stability. It’s a warning to China that you can’t just take over the whole region.”

As for the cost saving argument it also holds very little weight:

There’s no doubt that the military exercises are expensive. The Air Force told CNBC that a B-2 bomber costs $130,000 an hour to operate, while the B-1 costs $95,000 an hour. Leaving those planes in the hangar would probably save some money, but it’s not at all clear if those savings would register anywhere in the Pentagon’s roughly $700 billion annual budget — a budget that Trump has repeatedly boasted about increasing. The planes would still be flown on a regular basis, the Navy would still conduct regular patrols in the region, and the tens of thousands of U.S. troops in South Korea and Japan would remain in place. All come with an extraordinary cost that is likely to continue, regardless of the status of the exercises.

Many geopolitical experts have questioned the cost argument altogether, saying that exercises are intended to maintain readiness among the tens of thousands of U.S. and South Korean troops stationed in the country who — despite Trump’s claim Wednesday that “There is no longer a Nuclear Threat from North Korea” — sit across the border from a dictatorship with one of the world’s largest militaries, armed with an arsenal of up to 60 nuclear weapons.

Additionally, the move was made without even notifying our South Korean allies taking them completely by surprise.[4]

But Mr. Trump’s statement that he was suspending joint military exercises with South Korea stunned many South Koreans. The annual exercises have been an integral part of the alliance with the United States that forms the bulwark of South Korea’s defenses against the North.
Mr. Trump’s pronouncement raised fears that Washington was making concessions before North Korea had actually dismantled its nuclear weapons.
The South Korean Defense Ministry issued a curt statement saying that it was trying to determine Mr. Trump’s intentions.

After making all of those concessions to North Korea the only thing the US received in return was the ceasing of missile tests and the shutting down of a test site .

What many of you do not know is that on January 18th 2018 the Wall Street Journal (Which is owned by Fox News Owner Rupert Murdoch and is Right leaning)[5] reported the following:[6]

Around the same time, Mr. Trump had an idea about how to counter the nuclear threat posed by North Korea, which he got after speaking to Russian President Vladimir Putin: If the U.S. stopped joint military exercises with the South Koreans, it could help moderate Kim Jong Un’s behavior

So, based off this data what can we extrapolate? We know that Putin at least gave Trump the idea. There is absolutely no way to know for sure if that was the only person who gave him that idea. However, based off the fact that our military officials, Republicans and Democrats were all surprised by the move and objected to it suggests that he didn’t get the idea or blessing from them.

What benefit did the US receive from this move? You could argue as the president did that we received a very small cost saving. You could argue that we received the cancellation of missile tests from North Korea. However, that argument doesn’t hold weight since the cancellation of military exercises was not even part of the agreement signed by Trump and Kim.[7]

Well, lets just table this for now since this is the past. Let’s look ahead to the present.

Hitting the news today is from Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov. He has said that the US is asking the Russians for advice on how to proceed during the upcoming meeting with North Korea.[8]

Lavrov, who is also visiting Vietnam this week, said in comments carried by Russian news agencies on Monday that Russia believes that the U.S. ought to offer Pyongyang “security guarantees” for the disarmament deal to succeed. He also mentioned that “the U.S. is even asking our advice, our views on this or that scenario of” how the summit in Hanoi could pan out.

Additionally, Lavrov just happens to be traveling to Hanoi at the exact same time as Trump and Kim. I’m sure it’s all a giant coincidence.

[1] www.washingtonpost.com...
[2] finance.yahoo.com...
[3] www.nytimes.com...
[4] abcnews.go.com...
[5] mediabiasfactcheck.com...
[6] www.wsj.com...
[7] www.cbsnews.com...
[8] www.apnews.com...

+2 more 
posted on Feb, 26 2019 @ 04:05 PM
link   
a reply to: BlackJackal

Who cares? Is the real question

Russia, like every other country, is second to the United States and can't hold a candle to our economic, technical or military capabilities.

I'm not getting bent out of shape over what some # ant foreign country does. It is all small potatoes compared to acts taken by the United States.

This fixation - obsession - with Russia is not healthy.

Additionally, Lavrov just happens to be traveling to Hanoi at the exact same time as Trump and Kim. I’m sure it’s all a giant coincidence.

And Lavrov is their.... ? Foreign minister? Makes complete sense that he'd be involved in a diplomatic outing.

We routinely engage in cooperation and diplomacy with Russia. You'll need to get over it.
edit on 2/26/2019 by JBurns because: (no reason given)

+13 more 
posted on Feb, 26 2019 @ 04:10 PM
link   

Why does Russia pop up in everything Trump does

Why does Trump pop up in everything you do ?

posted on Feb, 26 2019 @ 04:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog

Why does Russia pop up in everything Trump does

Why does Trump pop up in everything you do ?

Collusion.

posted on Feb, 26 2019 @ 04:17 PM
link   
Your title states “everything Trump does” but only talk of North Korea. Russia shares a boarder with North Korea. Of course they want to be involved along with China and Japan.

Who can verify it was Putin’s idea? That’s a claim off an assumption you made from the article. It states “Mr Trump had an idea”.

I don’t see stopping war exercises in that region during talks, a bad thing. It’s easier to talk peace when you’re not pointing guns at each other. Maybe it’ll work, maybe he will get played like the previous administrations who have tried.
Maybe he’s gets NK tonooen uo a bit more to the world. The people of NK could see that there is an amazing world out there and provide the change needed from within.

I’m an optimist.

reply to: BlackJackal

posted on Feb, 26 2019 @ 04:17 PM
link   
This thread (like every single other Russia thread) is nothing more than innuendo, supposition, making a mountain out of a molehill and extremely petty nitpicking.

Contact with Russia/Russians is not nor has it ever been a crime - especially when such (diplomacy, cooperation) is part of your job description.

I get it, the left wing hates Russia because they're a right wing Christian state. That's OK too, but don't expect us to agree with you. Frankly, I like them more than Europe and Democrats. Just my personal opinion. I find them more genuine, more sincere, more trustworthy, more moral and with far more integrity than the aforementioned groups.

To wit, I'll take a Russian over those guys any day.

I've still yet to see any actual evidence of "Russian attacks" beyond the usual hum-drum back and forth espionage Tom Clancy nonsense that we waste all sorts of money on.

posted on Feb, 26 2019 @ 04:19 PM
link   
a reply to: leemachino

Not to mention the fact that Russia/China would be heavily involved in any sort of verification regime that would be put in place following an agreement

Apparently they think we should spend our time and money on it...

That isn't our problem. We're doing NK a favor by giving them an option to disarm and prove themselves as non-hostile. In exchange, we won't take out the Kim regime and forcibly reunify them with SK. Not to mention the obvious benefits to their economy and society by normalizing relations with the United States (and everybody else)

posted on Feb, 26 2019 @ 04:19 PM
link   
Michael Cohen is about to be shot down with his Russia Russia Russia hoax and outright lies.

mobile.twitter.com...

posted on Feb, 26 2019 @ 04:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: leemachino
Your title states “everything Trump does” but only talk of North Korea. Russia shares a boarder with North Korea. Of course they want to be involved along with China and Japan.

Who can verify it was Putin’s idea? That’s a claim off an assumption you made from the article. It states “Mr Trump had an idea”.

I don’t see stopping war exercises in that region during talks, a bad thing. It’s easier to talk peace when you’re not pointing guns at each other. Maybe it’ll work, maybe he will get played like the previous administrations who have tried.
Maybe he’s gets NK tonooen uo a bit more to the world. The people of NK could see that there is an amazing world out there and provide the change needed from within.

I’m an optimist.

reply to: BlackJackal

Russia created North Korea

link   

Because the Democrat MSM says so roflol 💥😆💥

link   
a reply to: carewemust

There's a dandy!

Cohen!

The first man in US history to plead guilty to a crime (Through his criminal POS lawyer) before even being charged with it!

Who here has EVER seen that happen before? It doesn't happen. Cohen pleaded guilty to a crime he wasn't even charged with.

I hope he has a great time in prison. Maybe they sell petrolatum jelly in the Commissary. We can only wish/hope/pray

posted on Feb, 26 2019 @ 04:21 PM
link   

Trump and the Russians have a long history. I don't think it's unusual that the FBI has been looking into trumps association with them even before he decided to run for the presidency. And now Cohen is spilling the beans about the money laundering.

newrepublic.com...

www.politico.com...
edit on 26-2-2019 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2019 @ 04:22 PM
link   
Coincidence maybe?

posted on Feb, 26 2019 @ 04:23 PM
link   
South Korea now has diplomatic ties with North Korea since Trump met with Kim...that is a good thing not bad.

The war games with South Korea were just to intimidate North Korea, they are not needed. It is a stupid policy of show of power many countries use, countries that are primitive in nature. I am glad we have abandoned the war games used as intimidation against Korea, I think we should stop them in other places too.

It costs us quite a bit for those war games with the South, but we now will have them elsewhere, intimidate someone else with shows of power. Maybe down in South America.

Russia does release some propaganda every so often, I think in this case the timing might just be coincidence. Or maybe it is to threaten Kim a bit, showing him they have great power too so kim does not get too buddy buddy with Trump. Governments do have their reasons for things often.

posted on Feb, 26 2019 @ 04:25 PM
link   

Trump, delegates, he goes around and talks to various people for opinions and then just simply says "ok I'll do that" or "you go do that for me". And takes credit.
It's probably one of the main reasons why he's filed for bankruptcy so many times because he relies on others to make decisions for him. Just recently he didn't even understand what memorandums of understanding meant, and, became the laughing stock of the room. Evidence he is literally relying on his advisers and people who negotiate deals are clearly doing the work for him.

Russia has a heavy hand in that part of the world, especially when Putin is involved, he was one of the first people to just lock their nations doors to everything western world, especially from the US, he's a key figure to deal with everything anything remotely connected to communism.

My bet is, Trump is going to Putin for advice on how to deal with NK, or asking him to sway Un. The unpredictable nature of canceling the war games thing is a good indication that Russia may have influenced that as well. Just my thoughts on the situation to be honest.

posted on Feb, 26 2019 @ 04:26 PM
link   
People keep forgetting about that NK nuke "test facility" that blew sky-high a while back.

It was so bad, some thought it was an earthquake !!

Guess who set the "charges" ? (you only get one guess)

And what we are not being "told" by the MSM is the fact the U.S., China, and NK have been discussing trade openings that benefit all 3 Countries.

NK is in process of cleanzing their own little inside deep state operations 😎

The "Nuke" thing is only a talking point to keep the MSM "occupied" with BS'ing the general public 😃

posted on Feb, 26 2019 @ 04:27 PM
link   
a reply to: JBurns

"Cohen" has always been a deep-cover Democrat operative (blackmailed) 😎

posted on Feb, 26 2019 @ 04:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12

Trump and the Russians have a long history. I don't think it's unusual that the FBI has been looking into trumps association with them even before he decided to run for the presidency. And now Cohen is spilling the beans about the money laundering.

newrepublic.com...

www.politico.com...

one would think with the bulk of the government against him, and a 2 year investigation with an unlimited budget, they could find evidence of his corruption you seem to know all about. it's a shame you didn't volunteer to help Mueller out. Ya'll could have been enjoying president Pence for almost a year now.

posted on Feb, 26 2019 @ 04:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: strongfp

Trump, delegates, he goes around and talks to various people for opinions and then just simply says "ok I'll do that" or "you go do that for me". And takes credit.
It's probably one of the main reasons why he's filed for bankruptcy so many times because he relies on others to make decisions for him. Just recently he didn't even understand what memorandums of understanding meant, and, became the laughing stock of the room. Evidence he is literally relying on his advisers and people who negotiate deals are clearly doing the work for him.

LOL, this is why Bill Gates writes all his own code. DERP!

posted on Feb, 26 2019 @ 04:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen
a reply to: JBurns

"Cohen" has always been a deep-cover Democrat operative (blackmailed) 😎

Then why did trump hire him as his personal attorney and "fixer" since 2006. Trump said he always hires the best people. trump hired him because he knew Cohen was a scumbag but miscalculated his loyalty and now it's blowing up in his face. Cohen was once corporate VP of the trump empire. He knows where the bodies are buried.

www.nbcnews.com...
edit on 26-2-2019 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

<<   2  3  4 >>

join