It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Extinction Rebellion

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 5 2019 @ 08:10 AM
link   

Noam Chomsky said we need to “…try to develop mass popular action which will compel people within the existing institutions to act differently … and at the same time try to educate the public to understand that there are deep institutional problems that have to be changed.”

Ralph Nader Radio Hour with Noam Chomsky

Youth climate activists as young as 7 years old confronted California Senator Dianne Feinstein last week in San Francisco, demanding she sign on to the Green New Deal. We speak with 12-year-old Rio and his sister, 10-year-old Magdalena, who were among the protesters who spoke to Senator Feinstein. They are members of Earth Guardians San Francisco Bay Area Crew.

posted on Mar, 5 2019 @ 12:25 PM
link   
a reply to: PublicOpinion

If we look at this as environmental rather than financial:

"There is no planet B"

I first learned words like greenhouse effect, chlorophyll, photo synthesis, population explosion, global warming, and sea level rise, back in 1966, when I was a child. My Fourth Grade teacher had been to the 1962 Century 21 Exposition in Seattle. She talked about it a lot. She even spent her own money to buy an SRA Reading Laboratory Kit.

Science was valued. We went to the moon like three years later for crying out loud!!!

Science Research Associates Inc. was founded in 1938. Early on, it had a trade and occupational focus. In 1957, it moved into individualized classroom instruction with the iconic SRA Reading Laboratory Kit, a format that later translated to mathematics, science, and social studies. Commonly called SRA cards, the labs were large boxes filled with color-coded cardboard sheets. Each sheet included a reading exercise for students. Each student would have an independent topic, and would work on it independently of the other students in the class, consulting with the teacher only if they got stuck. The student would then follow up with multiple choice questions. As the child moved ahead, he or she would advance in difficulty.

posted on Mar, 5 2019 @ 01:21 PM
link   
This group is trash though, not only do they work with the police they are ultimately a boot-licking all-talk NGO

posted on Mar, 6 2019 @ 07:50 AM
link   
a reply to: XAnarchistX

They've blocked bridges and streets already, I wouldn't call that an all-talk-NGO. Care to elaborate?

a reply to: pthena

I first learned words like greenhouse effect, chlorophyll, photo synthesis, population explosion, global warming, and sea level rise, back in 1966, when I was a child.

Wow. I thought you're way younger than that, old fart! Respect!

Science was valued. We went to the moon like three years later for crying out loud!!!

Well. It's not the case that our skeptics don't have a point, generally.

posted on Mar, 12 2019 @ 10:12 AM
link   

Environmental activists argue the only way to stop the impending ecocide is to carry out nonviolent acts of civil disobedience to shut down the capitals of the major industrial countries, crippling commerce and transportation, until the ruling elites are forced to publicly state the truth about climate catastrophe, implement radical measure to halt carbon emissions by 2025, and empower an independent citizens committee to oversee the termination of our 150-year binge on fossil fuels. The British-based group, Extinction Rebellion, has called for nonviolent acts of civil disobedience on April 15 in capitals around the world to reverse our “one-way track to extinction.” Joining Chris Hedge in a two-part discussion from London is Roger Hallam, the co-founder of Extinction Rebellion.

RT - On Contact

“So much of what we talk about is so dire and so extreme and so scary and also disheartening that I quote Vaclav Havel, the Czech dissident writer and statesman. And he reminds us that as he said, ‘Hope is not the conviction that something will turn out well but the certainty that something is worth doing no matter how it turns out.” And that’s where I get into this moral obligation that no matter how dire things look, that we are absolutely morally obliged to do everything we can in our power to try to make this better.” Dahr Jamail, author of “The End of Ice”

Ralph Nader Radio Hour

posted on Mar, 14 2019 @ 11:25 AM
link   

Just finished listening to Dahr Jamail on the Nader show.

So I went to the Truthout page.

Hundreds of Thousands of Students Prepare for Global #ClimateStrike

For the past several months, students around the world have joined the #FridaysForFuture school strike launched last year by Swedish teenager Greta Thunberg, whose solitary protests outside her country’s parliament — inspired by the Parkland students advocating for stricter gun laws in the United States — generated headlines that helped spur the global youth climate movement.

There are a lot of links on the page. I can't put them all here because March 15 is tomorrow. Sense of urgency and all!

posted on Apr, 23 2019 @ 04:53 PM
link   
Can you really have a "rebellion" where all the media, press, politicians, police.. and elites are all on your side ?

Think again!

Unfortunately the lluminati have launched more controlled activists to demand their new world order through the "Peoples Voice" .. (35:45)

Notice how they've created "child" activists now (your children) to accomplish this, through people like Malala Yousaf, David Hogg, Greta Thunberg and so on...

"HUMANITY is a tremendous force for good and the changes [to NWO] will take place through the raised voice of THE PEOPLE. The voice of the people of all nations rising up, inspired by Maitreya, led by Him, activated by Maitreya — whether they know He is Maitreya or not. The united will of the people will force the governments to change [World Government]. (Benjamin Creme, SI Nov 2003)"

"THE PEOPLE everywhere have sensed their collective power and are demanding a free and just world as theirs by right of being members of the ONE HUMANITY. This, I submit, is altogether new, and will manifest as a world public opinion with a VOICE so powerful and united that no government can stand against it. As one of the Masters has put it: "The voice of the people is the voice of wisdom." (Benjamin Creme, SI Mar 2005)"

"We need to create one world: the ONE HUMANITY needs to live in the one world. At present we have two worlds: one for the rich and the super-rich, and one for the rest — the poor, the miserable and the literally starving to death." (Benjamin Creme)

"The plans for such a redistribution program [nwo] ― drawn up by economists, financiers and industrialists of great achievement ― are already in existence, awaiting only the DEMAND OF HUMANITY for their implementation. A sophisticated form of barter, on a global scale, will eventually replace the present [owo] economic system. (Maitreya's priorities, Benjamin Creme)"

World Government...

"ORDINARY PEOPLE, intellectuals, educationalists, and others from a variety of walks of life will find they have a genuine VOICE in government. This will replace control of the masses through ideology. EVOLUTION means evolution towards freedom. (Maitreya,Sept.88)
...Sweeping changes herald an era in which a new balance will be struck between the need of individuals for freedom and self-expression, and that of society for discipline and order. (Benjamin Creme's Master,Oct.89)

edit on 23-4-2019 by eastendkid because: oops grammar...

posted on Apr, 23 2019 @ 05:34 PM
link   
Re: Greta Thunberg, the 16 year old Norwegian "child" activist... In what other area would you listen to a child being paraded around to parrot IPCC data.. ?

In what other area can children decide to up and leave school.. and go on strike ?

...I forgot to mention child activist Desmond Napoles , an 11-year old LGBTQ activist

posted on Apr, 23 2019 @ 10:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: PublicOpinion
I'm looking forward to your ideas, suggestions and pseudo-debunks already.

Nah, I have an alternate approach: apathy. I don't care if we are or are not warming the planet (though I don't think we are contributing that much)

If the planet is warming and if that adversely affects us, we'll adapt or we won't. The history of mankind revolves around overcoming the challenges of our environment. We have done this by harnessing science and technology to generate more power than we can create by our muscles. We won't progress our civilization by going backwards. Go ahead and live in a hut, wear skins and eat seaweed if you want. I'll relax in 21st century comfort thank you very much.

posted on May, 16 2019 @ 10:14 AM
link   
a reply to: Teikiatsu

(though I don't think we are contributing that much)

I wouldn't call that a thought process, no. But yeah, your contribution to this thread is pretty close to zero as of yet.

I'll relax in 21st century comfort thank you very much.

Yeah. Right. Riding a bike is so 19th century and all that! Why should we ponder the betterment of humanity when we can just lie down and die comfortably numb, right? Right? ... Right?

IPCC data? Greta Thunberg? Who gives a fck? Newsflash:

In an unusual new study, scientists say they have detected the fingerprint of human-driven global warming on patterns of drought and moisture across the world as far back as 1900. Rising temperatures are well documented back at least that far, but this is the first time researchers have identified resulting long-term global effects on the water supplies that feed crops and cities. Among the observations, the researchers documented drying of soils across much of populous North America, central America, Eurasia and the Mediterranean. Other areas, including the Indian subcontinent, have become wetter. They say the trends will continue, with severe consequences for humans.

Scientists see fingerprint of warming climate on droughts going back to 1900

The last time the earth saw 415 parts per million of CO2 was the Pliocene era between 3 and 5 million years ago.

The Earth Just Eclipsed a Terrifying Threshold

edit on 16-5-2019 by PublicOpinion because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2019 @ 12:43 PM
link   

I posted a thing in Religion Forum: Something about Sol.

I'm going to have to get back to this thread a bit later, bad headache right now. I like to read your links. but later.

posted on Jul, 31 2019 @ 07:20 PM
link   

Greta Thunberg and other climate activists have said it is a badge of honour that the head of the world’s most powerful oil cartel believes their campaign may be the “greatest threat” to the fossil fuel industry.

The criticism of striking students by the trillion-dollar Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries (Opec) highlights the growing reputational concerns of oil companies as public protests intensify along with extreme weather.
[...]
“By this point, most people realise that the oil companies lied for decades about global warming – they are this generation’s version of the tobacco companies. And it’s clearly affecting their ability to raise capital, to recruit employees and so on. People set out to cost them their social licence, and it’s working. Whether it’s working fast enough – that’s another question.”

'Biggest compliment yet': Greta Thunberg welcomes oil chief's 'greatest threat' label

Look at me
I'm on to you
No more lies
I'm on to you
Then again, you might be out of your goddamn mind

posted on Aug, 11 2019 @ 04:26 PM
link   

On the show this week, On Contact host Chris Hedges talks to Roger Hallam, co-founder of the British-based group Extinction Rebellion.

The global grassroots movement uses non-violent acts of civil disobedience by occupying areas in the capitals of major industrial countries, in a protest aiming to reverse what they argue is a one-way track to global extinction. Activists are demanding that ruling elites state the truth about the climate emergency and implement radical measures to halve carbon emissions by 2025 and to terminate a 150-year human binge on fossil fuels.

RT-On Contact: Climate Emergency with Roger Hallam of Extinction Rebellion

posted on Oct, 10 2019 @ 02:50 PM
link   
The history of the movement as well as the agenda.
Scary stuff. I've not yet commented enough to start a thread so feel free to start one. This is a really well researched article on Extinction Rebellion.

" The backfiring effect, according to Hallam, is essential to success. It’s a leverage effect using which a relatively small core group of activists can mobilize thousands or hundreds of thousands of people to get behind the movement.

”People will see in the 6 o’clock news ten-year-olds and grannies getting dragged off by the police.”

In the initial phase, of course, a sufficient number of ”true believers” prepared to sacrifice themselves (go to jail or even get killed) is required. According to Hallam, the way to motivate this self-destructiveness is to get the activists emotionally engaged – in this case through ”climate grief”.

It’s probably not a coincidence that the campaigns this winter have concentrated on school kids. Hallam explains that the most important groups are children, young people, old people, and women. Key ideas are the vulnerability of the activists, the violence resulting sooner or later from the illegal activity, and the public’s sympathy gained from this.

Children and other vulnerable groups agitated by climate fear are to be used as a weapon against the society but also as a kind of human shields. The plan from the beginning has been that a part of them will get hurt or even die in order to gather support and more people on the streets – that’s some climate parenthood for you.

clip_image012
TV interview of the chairman of Finland’s ”climate parenthood” association, Sampo Koistinen, wearing an XR badge

In one of his lectures Hallam says: ”this theory is based on young people and old people taking the forefront”. Most of the people pushed in the front line won’t know the actual goal of the protests and don’t even care. "

wattsupwiththat.com...

It hasn't worked in Australia -

"This isn’t the first time the climate movement has misjudged their audience. The wealthy elitism of the climate movement was on full display during the recent Extinction Rebellion shutdown of central London.
Hippies partied in London, creating commuter misery for people who have to work for a living. Yet the out of touch Extinction Rebellion hippies somehow thought that raising “awareness” of climate change, by mocking workers with their privilege, would win support from the victims of their disruption."

wattsupwiththat.com...

posted on Oct, 15 2019 @ 05:14 AM
link   
a reply to: JonathanNicholas

It's called Extinction Rebellion for a reason, ya know?

”this theory is based on young people and old people taking the forefront”. Most of the people pushed in the front line won’t know the actual goal of the protests and don’t even care. "

Except that they do. And people are not being pushed whatsoever, they pick their preferred form of activism from a wide array of activities. Or simply invent new forms of protest.

Extinction Rebellion: who are the protesters, and why are they doing it?.

posted on Oct, 15 2019 @ 08:05 AM
link   

Pure knee jerk.

The US is one of the least polluting nations on Earth. When compared to the EU, China, and India (and central Africa, but that isn't really 'developed' yet) we put out a miniscule amount of carbon.

And its not really carbon that is killing most animals and collapsing ecosystems. its chemicals like nicotinoids and glyphsophate....which the US is a terrible user of.

And how is carbon being addressed? By leaning on the little guy. The little guy who produces a fraction of the carbon that industry does.

Few people would argue about having cleaner air and water. But to do it on the backs of people who are the smallest contributor is dishonest and is the source of the backlash.

posted on Oct, 15 2019 @ 08:13 AM
link   
Newsflash:

[...]
AMY GOODMAN: In New York City, nearly 90 activists were arrested after staging a die-in on Wall Street, pouring fake blood on the iconic bull statue outside the New York Stock Exchange. Dozens were also arrested in Amsterdam, Vienna and Madrid. In Brisbane, Australia, an activist hung from Story Bridge in a hammock for six hours. Activists also took to the streets in Chile, Colombia and Mexico. Brazilian protesters held a die-in on Copacabana Beach in Rio de Janeiro. Protesters shut down the street in central Paris near the Notre-Dame, and hundreds flooded the streets of Berlin to demand action to combat global warming. This is German climate activist and migrant rescue ship captain Carola Rackete speaking from Berlin.

CAROLA RACKETE: [translated] As Extinction Rebellion, we demand that net emissions be reduced to zero by 2025 as part of an emergency program, as well as an immediate halt to the loss of biodiversity. What we also demand, and this is the interesting part, is that there be a citizens gathering which votes on the necessary measures. Extinction Rebellion will never make concrete policy proposals. We are saying the issue has to be handed back democratically to the citizens, who then decide on the measures together.

This Is Not a Drill: 700+ Arrested as Extinction Rebellion Fights Climate Crisis with Direct Action

a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

The US is one of the least polluting nations on Earth.

Maybe. But this isn't about the US.

And its not really carbon that is killing most animals and collapsing ecosystems. its chemicals like nicotinoids and glyphsophate....which the US is a terrible user of.

The insects and birds would agree, I guess.

And how is carbon being addressed? By leaning on the little guy. The little guy who produces a fraction of the carbon that industry does.

The XR people demand citizen gatherings and direct democracy solutions, not taxes for the little guy. Care to explain what you are getting at? Who said so and why?
edit on 15-10-2019 by PublicOpinion because: (no reason given)

edit on 15-10-2019 by PublicOpinion because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 15 2019 @ 08:25 AM
link   

The governments pick up on populist movements, then bastardize them with tax schemes. Its just how it works.

Im all about civil disobedience, for whatever its worth. Long Live Thoreau!!!!

posted on Oct, 15 2019 @ 09:17 AM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

Yeah, that's what power does to stay in power. We'll have to see how this plays out.

“The question is not what you look at, but what you see.”

Henry David Thoreau

posted on Oct, 15 2019 @ 10:02 AM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

We need to start conserving, buying a more energy conservative fridge two years before it is bad is not saving our environment, pushing green is mostly a scam.

How about making appliances that don't break down after 5 years. Planned obsolescence is the elephant in the room. How about allowing them to use more than the California standard of 2 cups of water so they could actually clean something. Where is the energy savings when they have to run for two hours?

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join