It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Extinction Rebellion

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 27 2019 @ 10:29 AM
link   
a reply to: PublicOpinion

Ecology has no party. Our country already has some of the most stringent ecological regulations in the world. Yes, we need to still keep working to correct the issue, we need to curb people's wants, make it so people can walk or ride a bike to the store, and integrate small businesses back into the communities. These Big box stores miles from your house sure does not help things, the small hardwares in towns are good, we are losing the hardware stores that stocked parts to fix things so we are forced to toss the things away now when something little goes wrong with them...you cannot get parts because they keep changing things. This has gone crazy, this causes way more pollution. I have lots of old tools and stuff I got from spring cleanup and fixed and gave away. Fixing things is the best way to curb pollution, if you sink ten bucks into something to fix a problem, that means that you do not have to buy a new one which creates lots of pollution and also increases the drain of money from our bank accounts or increases our debt.

I buy eggs from someone here locally who has chickens which derive a high amount of their food in the summer from eating bugs and grains growing in her yard. The chickens poop in the yard which attracts the bugs and fertilizes their yard. Now that is natural, sure, you cannot have a lot of chickens overdoing it, but some is good. They also derive lots of their garden fertilizer for their crops from the chicken manure from the coop over the winter. The chickens eat the waste from their veggies when they make homemade stuff, all raw veggies and fruit scraps. These people compost what is left for fertilizer, their impact on nature is not big.

Buying things you do not need is the worst thing for our environment, Death dating or planned obscolescence is one of the worst things, Recycling only makes up for part of this, the best way is to make things that can be fixed or repaired and at a reasonable cost. I still have my uncles skill saw that works great, it is a nineteen fifty four model. I have old saws from the fifties through seventies that I still use regularly, sure they needed new brushes and occasionally a new bearing, and you have to remember, sooner or later they need to be replaced. My cordless drill I still use is a Makita professional series I bought in 1988, it is a nine point six volt, the origanal battery went out about four or five years ago but I have other makita nine point six volts tools too, so I have like five batteries I still use, all of which are still able to be used to drive in multiple screws in a charge. Now, I have repacked the gears on them every four or five years and they outlasted the garbage cordless drills I had bought since then. The batteries now have death dating built in, they only last so many charge cycles.

So the solution is that people have lost patients, they want way more than they need, they are BSed to think that something new is better, that 9.6 volt drill will break a screw just as easy as a twenty volt, I never got BSed into believing the higher voltage tools were better, that is a sales ploy.

posted on Feb, 27 2019 @ 02:11 PM
link   
a reply to: pthena

If one cannot trust the data because it has been admittedly heavily manipulated, then one obviously cannot trust any graphs made using the manipulated data. It stuns and saddens me that so many in the world have fallen hook, line, and sinker for this hoax. I'd have thought humanity was smarter than that after dealing with such historical shams as HG Well's War of the Worlds, AMWAY, P.T. Barnum's cons, the Trojan Horse, the original Ponzi scheme by Charles Ponzi, the Nigerian email scam... you'd think we'd be smarter but nope, still quick to fall for cons intended to make a handful of con artists very, very rich while bending ourselves over a barrel and going to town on that ass.

posted on Feb, 27 2019 @ 02:50 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

Thank you for that, now you know why I'm a big fan of repair cafés. 3D printing helps a lot with getting us to the place we both seem to be comfortable with. Eventually.

And at some point in the future we'd have to talk about the principle of self-preservation, which is usually the foundation for business-decisions like planned obsolescence. This is Odysseus appearing in the bigger picture again, with all those myths we have yet to unpack.

Your mileage may vary.

a reply to: burdman30ott6

Excuse me, but it seems like you've ignored a lot of data thus far. Nothing has been heavily manipulated, that's just another allegation in lieu of facts.
edit on 27-2-2019 by PublicOpinion because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2019 @ 03:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: PublicOpinion

Thank you for that, now you know why I'm a big fan of repair cafés. 3D printing helps a lot with getting us to the place we both seem to be comfortable with. Eventually.

And at some point in the future we'd have to talk about the principle of self-preservation, which is usually the foundation for business-decisions like planned obsolescence. This is Odysseus appearing in the bigger picture again, with all those myths we have yet to unpack.

Your mileage may vary.

Excuse me, but it seems like you've ignored a lot of data thus far. Nothing has been heavily manipulated, that's just another allegation in lieu of facts.

I spent probably a hundred hours researching the data over the last ten years. being retired I have the time to check this stuff out thoroughly. I researched way more than the CO2 gas, I researched nitrous compounds, methane, and other chemical compounds in the air. Fossil fuel should be used responsibly, not wasted. I know people who go from store to store shopping, go to restaurants way out of the way. These same people are the ones supporting the green new deal. Right now many people probably drove ten miles to go cross country skiing, then they go out to eat and go home and sit in the hot tub because they got so cold skiing. How many people will drive fifty miles to go join in a protest against the trump administration for pulling out of the climate deal. Many of These people who are crying climate change are causing more climate change because they are actively protesting.

I'll sit at home with my old lightbulbs burning that waste energy that heats my house on this day it is five degrees outside, my furnace runs less because the lights help to heat the house in the winter. In summer, the days are long and the lights are rarely on.

posted on Feb, 27 2019 @ 03:43 PM
link   

www.forbes.com...

To most people, the hottest temperatures ever “recorded” would imply that quality controlled thermometers registered higher readings during the past year than had ever occurred before. If you believe that this is what the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) means by hottest temperatures ever “recorded,” then you are wrong.

Raw temperature data show that U.S. temperatures were significantly warmer during the 1930s than they are today. In fact, raw temperature data show an 80-year cooling trend. NOAA is only able to claim that we are experiencing the hottest temperatures on record by doctoring the raw temperature data.

Doctoring real-world temperature data is as much a part of the alarmist playbook as is calling skeptical scientists at Harvard, Princeton, Columbia, MIT, NASA, NOAA, etc., “anti-science.” Faced with the embarrassing fact that real-world temperature readings don’t show any U.S. warming during the past 80 years, the alarmists who oversee the collection and reporting of the data simply erase the actual readings and substitute their own desired readings in their place. If this shocks you, you are not alone.

hockeyschtick.blogspot.com...

the paper is critical of the IPCC "cherry-picking" data to confirm AGW while ignoring contradictory data, and the use of a "consensus," stating "if reaching consensus were really the hallmark of sound science, the scientific theories of Galileo, Copernicus, Darwin, and many others would never have seen daylight" and "scientists need to make a living, and they will not bite the hand that feeds them, an argument used by some advocates of AGW who claim that climate skeptics are sponsored by “Big Carbon”. Therefore, consensus must be dismissed as a defining feature of science."

miltonconservative.blogspot.com...

Climate researchers have discovered that NASA researchers improperly manipulated data in order to claim 2005 as "THE WARMEST YEAR ON RECORD."

icecap.us...

Climategate: Leaked Emails Inspired Data Analyses Show Claimed
Warming Greatly Exaggerated and NOAA not CRU is Ground Zero

wattsupwiththat.com...

One station, Hokitika, had its early temperatures reduced by a huge 1.3°C, creating strong warming from a mild cooling, yet there’s no apparent reason for it.

We have discovered that the warming in New Zealand over the past 156 years was indeed man-made, but it had nothing to do with emissions of CO2—it was created by man-made adjustments of the temperature. It’s a disgrace.

So, clearly, you've fallen for a hoax and instead of reassessing your gullibility, you've chosen to double down. Many others have made the same choice and, as PT Barnum said "there's a sucker born every minute." The Carbon trade industry and the global power seekers love the collective of rubes that do their work for them, regurgitating the lies and demanding the people be punished and restrained from progress in the name of fighting climate change (AKA "The Hoax.")

1984 by Orwell easily predicted this with a series of quotes, including:
"He who controls the past controls the future and he who controls the present controls the past." We are witnessing the past being revised by agenda driven manipulators and scam artists in a direct power grab aimed towards the future. Don't be one of the mush heads who do their grunt work for them. You're partly right when you say future generations will blame us, but they'll blame "us" for being fools and selling their prosperity to fight an imaginary boogeyman while building a new class of elite wealthy power mongers who will control the world and micromanage the lives of the future generations.

"One does not establish a dictatorship in order to safeguard a revolution; one makes the revolution in order to establish the dictatorship." Your "rebellion is bull#... a tool of the modern day wannabe left gestapo. The road to hell is paved with good intentions, and that's exactly where this Church of the Unyielding AGW Hoax is leading us all: straight to hell.

"And if all others accepted the lie which the Party imposed – if all records told the same tale – then the lie passed into history and became truth. " ...and that's why they manipulate the data and you run block for them, feigning indignation over statements of truth when they are directed against the Gods of Climate Change... because you must believe them above all else, if your own experiences and your own observations and your own mind shows you the Gods are wrong, then it must be you who has stumbled, not the narrative which is lying. I get it... cults are powerful and difficult to escape.

posted on Feb, 27 2019 @ 04:24 PM
link   

U.S. temperature data

The planet is bigger than that. Do you know how big the difference really is? No?

In this study we compared the historic bias corrections of Folland and Parker (1995, FP95) with our own (SR) empirical corrections. The need for bias correction of pre-1942 SST observations, and the approximate size and spatial distribution of corrections, is confirmed by our study. Based on the difference between the SR bias correction and the FP95 bias correction, and also from comparisons with other observations, there is an uncertainty in the magnitude of the strongest bias. In boreal winter that difference can locally be as large as several tenths of a degree (Fig. 6), although the average difference is much less. The correction uncertainty is largest in the nineteenth century and in the early 1940s. In the nineteenth century uncertainty is large because of sparse sampling and the need for strong NMAT adjustments. Increased uncertainty in 1942–45 is caused by decreases in sampling and nonstandard NMAT measurement practices in that period.

www.ncdc.noaa.gov...

That's quite the fuzz for something from 0.3° to 0.6°C in the raw data back in the 1940s.
Hell yeah! Let's simply ignore all the data after that and we'll be fine!

Yeah. No.

posted on Feb, 27 2019 @ 04:32 PM
link   

Many of These people who are crying climate change are causing more climate change because they are actively protesting.

We'll simply have to disagree on that.

Don't blame the kids for hitting the streets, blame the politicians who failed to do their job in the first place?

posted on Feb, 27 2019 @ 04:33 PM
link   

The planet is bigger than that. Do you know how big the difference really is? No?

Enjoy your cult. You swallow camels whole while gagging on gnats, cheery picking arguments because it is all your side has left to push the proven hoax as truth narrative. The argument's time has almost run out, which is why the current times are seeing such a balls out push from the few remaining adherents to the cult. Another year or two of frigid winters corresponding with solar minimums and the window of opportunity for the power and cash grab will be shut and locked and y'all will move on to some other Ponzi scheme to separate people from their money and send it and power to the Gods of the Nanny State. As I've already said, prepare for your "rebellion" to be as impactfull as a fart in a hurricane and, hopefully for all of our sakes, y'all will move along and find something else to brood and doomsay about. Maybe for your next act you'll finally pick something real and plausible instead of imaginary and ludicrous. Have fun with your little rebellion, most of us won't notice.

How'd those staged mass walkouts impact gun control laws? How did the mass protests stop the US from advancing the Wall and secure border policies? How much effect did the staged riots have on stopping the Trump presidency?
None of it matters aside from pushing more and more of the middle away from your cause's side.
edit on 27-2-2019 by burdman30ott6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2019 @ 04:41 PM
link   

picking arguments

Like what... a 0.6°C difference in the raw data for the fcking 40ties? That's cherry-picking at it's finest, dude.

Heal yourself, physician!

Have fun with your little rebellion, most of us won't notice.

Thanks.

posted on Feb, 27 2019 @ 10:22 PM
link   

Many of These people who are crying climate change are causing more climate change because they are actively protesting.

We'll simply have to disagree on that.

Don't blame the kids for hitting the streets, blame the politicians who failed to do their job in the first place?

So, people going hundreds of miles sometimes to join a rally isn't adding to the Carbon footprint?

posted on Feb, 28 2019 @ 01:33 AM
link   

Rejecting the data...eristic arguments will put us over the barrel.

"...how can I rightly narrate? For not slight is the task ..., and therefore, like the poets, I ought to commence my relation with an invocation to Memory and the Muses." (Euthydemus)

I remember Lynnette
inviting me to play football
Thanksgiving Day in the snow; 1993.

First snowfall was common
around Thanksgiving
until around 1999.

From then;
two days later
each year after.

This Winter of 2018-2019
first snow in February.
edit on 28-2-2019 by pthena because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2019 @ 01:34 AM
link   

So, people going hundreds of miles sometimes to join a rally isn't adding to the Carbon footprint?

Short term, not much.
Short term thinking is problematic.

edit on 2/28/2019 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2019 @ 04:50 AM
link   

Uh. .. did you just use a local weather anecdote to support your opinion on climate change? Baby, it's cold as hell outside where I'm at right now... you don't want to turn this into a local weather discussion because the Northern hemisphere is having a bunker buster cold winter this year... 3rd one in the last 4 years, in fact. So, tell me, why bring your own weather anecdotes to the table when you all immediately tee off on anyone who does the same to indicate the fact that the climate is always changing and winter still exists, as do cold, damp summers... same as it ever was.

posted on Feb, 28 2019 @ 09:18 AM
link   

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Regular, strong polar vortex with fairly stable jet stream (left) compared to the early 2014 weak polar vortex with a detached low pressure system over the United States and wavy jet stream (right).

scijinks.gov...

The Polar Jets over the Arctic are a wavy mess, no wonder that we've lost 80% of the cold air mass already. That's a lot of warm air getting sucked in.

Aaaand... there is no raw-data hickup from the 40ies messing with what you're looking at. The first link from my older post brings you to the climate reanalyzer (2m temperature anomaly section). And the data they use for those maps dates back to 1979, not further.

posted on Feb, 28 2019 @ 10:32 AM
link   

why bring your own weather anecdotes to the table

Because:

originally posted by: burdman30ott6
If one cannot trust the data because it has been admittedly heavily manipulated, then one obviously cannot trust any graphs made using the manipulated data.

then … what are we left with?
"Rejecting the data...eristic arguments will put us over the barrel."

1993 to 2019 is a 26 year span that I lived through in this current area. Memory isn't always reliable, and I didn't keep a journal for each year, so … First snow used to be around Thanksgiving, not in recent years.

I do remember 1993 quite clearly … because of Lynnette.
Praise Mnemosyne

posted on Feb, 28 2019 @ 01:42 PM
link   

Since this is in the mudpit:

Some algorithm on YouTube recommended this:

one video leads to another.

posted on Feb, 28 2019 @ 01:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: pthena
I do remember 1993 quite clearly … because of Lynnette.

Lynnette? I don't understand this reference.

posted on Feb, 28 2019 @ 02:02 PM
link   

My memories, my Lynnette.
Context would suggest a personal muse.

I dedicated my favorite poem to her.
Mayday 1995

But since I gave it to her, I don't have it to quote.
Can't give away the cake and have it too!

posted on Feb, 28 2019 @ 02:04 PM
link   

Alrighty...

posted on Feb, 28 2019 @ 05:12 PM
link   

Alríght. We're still on topic, go on!

Don't be alarmed now
It's just a spring clean for the may queen
Yes, there are two paths you can go by
But in the long run
There's still time to change the road you're on

And it makes me wonder

edit on 28-2-2019 by PublicOpinion because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join