It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. disrupted internet access of Russian troll factory on day of 2018 midterms

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 26 2019 @ 02:21 PM
link   
LA Times

The U.S. military blocked internet access to an infamous Russian entity seeking to sow discord among Americans during the 2018 midterms, several U.S. officials said, a warning that the group's operations against the United States are not cost-free.

The strike on the Internet Research Agency in St. Petersburg, a company underwritten by an oligarch close to President Vladimir Putin, was part of the first offensive cyber campaign against Russia designed to thwart attempts to interfere with a U.S. election, the officials said.

"They basically took the IRA offline," according to one individual familiar with the matter who, like others, spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss classified information. "They shut 'em down."

Our agencies usually don't disclose such operations so it's a little strange to be hearing about this one, although the topic has been at the forefront of our everything for a couple of years now at least.

How will the Russians protect themselves from being cut off again? Is there a way to circumvent that or can our agencies identify Russian GRU farms and just surgically remove them, cut them off, just like this one in St. Petersburg?

This got me thinking though -- did anyone have their favorite poster(s) missing from ATS on or around election day? Did it take them a couple of days to get back into things? Any moderators miss any scheduled shifts for a couple of days and weren't able to get in touch? If you noticed this, there could be an alternative reason for that now.

Hmmmm?

posted on Feb, 26 2019 @ 02:28 PM
link   
well it appears that this administration is doing much more than the previous one that didn't give a damn

so much for collusion
edit on 26 2 2019 by Dr UAE because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2019 @ 02:30 PM
link   
I'm not sure I follow, will you explain please?

This happened during the last election, right before the transfer of power. What was the last admin to do other than issue public warnings and get all these investigations started, as they obviously did?

Bomb someone?

posted on Feb, 26 2019 @ 02:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Duderino

well there was a replay to member silly from me the other day im trying to find it

posted on Feb, 26 2019 @ 03:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Duderino
I'm not sure I follow, will you explain please?

This happened during the last election, right before the transfer of power. What was the last admin to do other than issue public warnings and get all these investigations started, as they obviously did?

Bomb someone?
the 2018 midterms was following the 2016 elections, no?

posted on Feb, 26 2019 @ 03:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Duderino

Trump was elected in 2016 and took the Presidency on Jan 20, 2017 😎

Every MSM covered it.

posted on Feb, 26 2019 @ 05:47 PM
link   
What do you accomplish by blocking internet access on the day of midterms? Isn't that like preventing steroid use on the day of the Superbowl?

posted on Feb, 26 2019 @ 06:31 PM
link   
I didn't see silly that day.

Love ya silly!

posted on Feb, 26 2019 @ 07:25 PM
link   
a reply to: theatreboy

If I was a russian troll I'd have been fired ( literally with w firing squad) by now.

posted on Feb, 26 2019 @ 07:32 PM
link   
And I believe I read an article where that Russian company is suing the US
Seems as if they could not even do normal business during that time

top topics

join