It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS is lacking political balance

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15  16 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 26 2019 @ 03:07 PM
link   
a reply to: IgnorantGod

It was a way to see if you are an optimist or pessimist lol.... more interesting that is the glass half empty or half full.

posted on Feb, 26 2019 @ 03:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: ArMaP
a reply to: Assassin82

A better option would be not to use someone's biased opinion about ATS.

Well, that was just a bit of a joke. Maybe not a good one I guess.

I mentioned in the OP that Wiki, or any open sourced platform like Wiki wasn't reliable. I added it for context. I'm not taking shots at the mods....non of this post was about that. The standard response from the mods is how this site is user generated. I'm stating an easy to recognize observation about the user generated content here on ATS and how it's counter productive to civil discourse.

posted on Feb, 26 2019 @ 03:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: LSU2018

Whoever took the time to edit the information on Wikipedia really needs to move on with their life. What a whiny turd burglar. Unreal/hilarious.

I gave up on that hope about a decade ago.

We do have a special type of hater. Some people are so obsessed that they actually become deranged and lose any sort of "humanity" they may have had before their bad interaction with us. I mean... one of those wikis (I forget which one but they did give me a glowing mention as well) actually encouraged people to sign up for ATS and mock one of our beloved staff members for having terminal cancer. He's since passed and is missed every day, but it gives you a feel for what kind of people we're talking about here.

posted on Feb, 26 2019 @ 03:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Assassin82

Slayer is still around. He just posted a new thread a couple of days ago.

Slayer69 thread list

Zaphod is also likewise still around, generally if there is an airplane crash if he isn't the OP, he is very active in whichever thread is posted about said crash.

I make non-political threads on occasion as well, but they don't seem to generate as much activity as the politically themed threads do and since I like to interact with people regardless of political bent, I have ended up fairly active where the majority of posters have migrated to; goes with the territory I suppose.

posted on Feb, 26 2019 @ 03:11 PM
link   
I think the title should read “Why I wish ATS would go back to being more progressive”.

posted on Feb, 26 2019 @ 03:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: schuyler
So somebody decided to edit Wiki to say Trump has taken over ATS, thus the issue with Wikipedia becomes apparent. It wasn't log ago that Ron Paul supporters "dominated" ATS, and after that it was all about Bernie. It certainly felt like THOSE guys dominated ATS for a good long while. Now Trump supporters have "found a voice" and you are upset.

From my standpoint politics has "taken over" ATS to the point that alternative subjects like UFOs have been shoved under the table. But you know what? I know that I am capable of formulating as many UFO threads as I want. And when I do they usually have a pretty good run.

So stop whining and make ATS what you want it to be. But if you want to go down on Hillary in front of the rest of us, expect to take some heat. And if you can't stand that, leave. Nobody owes you your concept of "free and open debate." This is NOT a public forum where anyone has to pay attention to your "free speech rights." It's privately owned, so get over yourself.

Plus the top of the page says "This page contains too many unsourced statements and needs to be improved."

posted on Feb, 26 2019 @ 03:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Antipathy17

I've got no problem with people disagreeing with me. My favorite time on this site is when a large part of it went crazy over 2012. But now civilized debate is lacking, everything is politics, and both sides are mean spirited.

Unfortunately those issues become even more magnified thanks to the fact that one side is way overrepresented.

posted on Feb, 26 2019 @ 03:16 PM
link   
a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin

I was on my way back to school after a break on the day the aliens were supposed to show up and even though I knew she was crazy I still had to look up at the sky.

How much simpler everything seemed back then.

posted on Feb, 26 2019 @ 03:17 PM
link   
My $.02 is and a couple of friends that are on here agree that this is the only place a political discussion can be had without someone being banned or just abused so bad that they leave anyway. A couple of other places you say anything that doesn't tow to the proper left or right depending on the site the name calling starts then a partial ban or full one. The mods here at least force people to have a bit of respect.

edit on 26-2-2019 by mikell because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2019 @ 03:17 PM
link   
I think it's pretty hard to argue that the membership here is right-leaning. That isn't what makes the site "less" than it was though. I think, like Neformore said, it's hate politics. Rational, calm discussion has gone the way of the dinosaur, and every thread on here turns into a mudslinging festival, even if it isn't in the Mud Pit.

User generated content drives the site, 100%. However, I feel that the political bent has become so prevalent on ATS, that creating threads about other things aren't really worth the effort. I'm not going to put a ton of time and research into a thread that's going to go, maybe, 3-4 pages.

For instance, my favorite forum, hands down, is Cryptozoology, simply because it's the most interesting to me. My post history doesn't reflect that, because discussions don't even get started in those threads anymore, and one of the main reasons we're all on ATS is to talk/share ideas/etc.
If you filter the crypto forum with "new", then you'll see that since Jan 1, there have been 26 threads. One of them got to 14 pages, one went to 12, one to 6. After that, there's one 4 pager and the rest are 3 and under, the majority (14) being 1 page. It's tough to get a conversation started in under 1 page.
Also, political talk infiltrates other, non-political forums. There was a sasquatch thread a while back, someone said "oh it was just Hillary out for a walk". A funny comment, on it's own. But the next several posts were a fight being left and right folks, and it derailed the thread. I thought the thread was done for so I went away from it, looked back at it a few days later and something like 1/3 of the posts were deleted for off-topic posting (props to mods!), which is exactly what should have happened, but it was SO prevalent that it killed the thread.

That's my main frustration, a significant population here on ATS don't follow T&Cs, or seem to really care about them to begin with. Some folks try to make every single thread they read about politics, even in decidedly unpolitical forums, and it really detracts from the discussion at hand. Not everything is political. (Cue the "don't like it, then leave" comments).

In the Mud Pit, commenting in there I know insults/etc are coming my way because of my political leanings, so I roll with it. But in Breaking Political News/other non-Mud Pit forums, there is still a shocking amount of insults/T&C violations. I'm not saying this because I'm thin-skinned (I was a teacher after all, if I couldn't take people thinking poorly of me, I wouldn't be here today), I'm saying it because it derails good conversation.

Someone several pages ago said it best, and I forget who said it (apologies to the writer): Just be nice to people.

It isn't a "who can get the best insult" competition.
edit on 26-2-2019 by narrator because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2019 @ 03:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Sillyolme

Yeah, I pretty much got that after I wrote the comment. I would say, based upon my own intro/retrospection that I'm basically leaning as a pessimist when it comes to instant reaction/feeling from an event. But I'm also someone who believe emotions are walls that block choices, even perception, so I never put more importance to them except the information I gather from these 'spection.

posted on Feb, 26 2019 @ 03:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Djarums

originally posted by: LSU2018

Whoever took the time to edit the information on Wikipedia really needs to move on with their life. What a whiny turd burglar. Unreal/hilarious.

I gave up on that hope about a decade ago.

We do have a special type of hater. Some people are so obsessed that they actually become deranged and lose any sort of "humanity" they may have had before their bad interaction with us. I mean... one of those wikis (I forget which one but they did give me a glowing mention as well) actually encouraged people to sign up for ATS and mock one of our beloved staff members for having terminal cancer. He's since passed and is missed every day, but it gives you a feel for what kind of people we're talking about here.

Thats because its not real WIKI its "Rationalwiki" look at the address, ATS use to ban the use of that website because of the hateful and extremely off base stuff they posted, at one time even targeting the owners directly by name......

posted on Feb, 26 2019 @ 03:19 PM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

Im only a few hours away from AC... would I spoil the party?

posted on Feb, 26 2019 @ 03:20 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

and mine is half yours.... the gods surely hate me..

posted on Feb, 26 2019 @ 03:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Xcalibur254

, everything is politics, and both sides are mean spirited.

Mkay
Second line

posted on Feb, 26 2019 @ 03:24 PM
link   
Yeah, that’s my bad. I searched for information about ATS, outside of ATS, and came across that. I naturally thought it was either wiki itself, or some extension of wiki. I had never heard of it before it was brought up earlier.

If I could go back and remove it, I would. But, it certainly wasn’t any part of the foundation of what I was trying to say.

posted on Feb, 26 2019 @ 03:25 PM
link   
a reply to: knowledgehunter0986

I dont care about the stars I get. I care about the ones I want to give.

posted on Feb, 26 2019 @ 03:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: netwarrior
a reply to: Quantumgamer1776

I have been here awhile. I don't post much because I learned the lesson years back what you say online can haunt your offline, but I'm here about every day. This answer is correct. Moderation is not biased in any way that I've seen thus far, and I've had my hands slapped by the mods once or twice.

Oh, and TheRedneck's avatars have zero bearing on the fairness of his moderating policies. He's been one of those that goes out of his way to separate his red moderator pen from the rest of the drawer.

He obviously hurt someone's butt with his moderating.

posted on Feb, 26 2019 @ 03:28 PM
link   
a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin

Anyone else remember the galactic federation of light??

Blossom Goodchild... what ever happened to her?

posted on Feb, 26 2019 @ 03:28 PM
link   
Bs
Easily proved straight out lies.

new topics

top topics

<< 11  12  13    15  16 >>

join