It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Envoy calls on Iran to help with Iraq's reconstruction

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 28 2005 @ 11:59 PM
link   
Iraq is calling for help from Iran in rebuilding the country and they seem to be willing to help.
It just remains to be seen how welcoming the US will be to assistance from Iran.

Payvand

Al-Sheikh also touched on cultural and religious affinities between the two countries, hoping trade and economic ties will be further promoted with the establishment of the new Iraqi government.

"The Islamic Republic of Iran has helpful experience which it can use in accelerating Iraq's reconstruction," he told a joint meeting with members of Iran's Chamber of Commerce.

Trade transactions between the two countries last year are estimated at one billion dollars.

Head of Iran's Chamber of Commerce, Alinaqi Khamoushi, voiced the country's readiness to help Iraq in such areas as construction of dams and energy plants.

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 06:44 AM
link   
This suggestion must be lauded. Like it or not the US must accept that Iran is the immediate neighbour and it is impossible to change that. Let's give trade relations a try. This could possibly bring about a more open society in Iran and ease off any temptation with political interference.

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 11:50 PM
link   
hmmm, they want to help Iraq build energy plants. that didnt raise a flag to anyone else?

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 11:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by metalmessiah
hmmm, they want to help Iraq build energy plants. that didnt raise a flag to anyone else?

I noticed it but it didn't raise a flag, I just thought it was funny.

Anyway, I really doubt they'll be building anything other than oil, gas or hydro plants.

posted on Mar, 2 2005 @ 01:18 AM
link   
I think the best way to deal with Iran is to use both the carrot and the stick.

We are currently employing the stick, when we threaten them over nuclear arms developments. I'm not saying this is a bad move on our part, mind you, but it is using the "stick" end of the formula.

In inviting them to help with the reconstruction of their neighbor, sure we're allowing some opportunity for mischief, but we're also building ties between Iraq, Iran, and the US. Iran, right now, is where China was in the 1980s: struggling towards democracy against a leadership who desparately want to hold on to power. With careful strategy on our part, though, we can win not just true democracy for the Iranian people, but a powerful (and, let's admit it, resourceful) regional ally.

new topics

top topics

join