It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Labour announces backing for a second Brexit referendum

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 25 2019 @ 07:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Soloprotocol

From burdmans30ott6's very apt post

Playing the Devil's advocate here, the UK is bleeding out and the pound is dropping (possibly) for the same reason someone with a gangrenous limb would be dying... the diseased limb must be removed from the body or it will kill the host. Once the people voted in favor of Brexit, the association and relationship with the EU became gangrenous. Additional referendums, foot dragging, and long running debates over *how* to leave are simply allowing more of the body to become infected. That's where the UK screwed up on this (and I believe it was by design), "Leave" should have happened within a few months of the first referendum. No deal, no soft exit nonsense, just handle it as one would any other divorce from a toxic or abusive relationship, pack the EU's SNIP into a bag and sling it out the door, then go about your business as an independent country.

He nailed it.... and he hasn't a dog in this fight.

You would think we had nothing before the EU *rescued* the UK

You forget as the 2nd largest contributer to their coffers we will

be a BIG miss to them as they are already sliding into recession.

edit on 25-2-2019 by eletheia because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2019 @ 07:42 PM
link   
a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin

My opinion from the other side of the pond is there should not be a second referendum.

Brexit should happen since that's the way the vote went. A second referendum opens up Pandoras box, and anytime a vote is close the losing side will scream for another referendum, and since this would set the precedent for it, you can 100% count on it happening in the future.

My opinion is it would be better to just go with a no deal Brexit, then you can hold a referendum whether or not to rejoin the EU. That way both sides get there way, Brexit happens and remained a get a second vote whether to rejoin or not.

posted on Feb, 25 2019 @ 07:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: teapot

Except they really didn't. Sky, like all the mainstream outlets, have mis-reported Labour's press statement.

originally posted by: [post=24216506]eletheia

I see on sky news the EU leaders have suggested the UK take more time

Sky cannot be trusted.

You may not trust sky, but it wasn't sky reporting it came out of the mouths of

three EU ministers standing at their podiums and T.M. replied to them at her

podium.

So are you not believing what is coming out of their mouths??

posted on Feb, 25 2019 @ 07:52 PM
link   
a reply to: eletheia

He nailed it.... and he hasn't a dog in this fight.

Yip. The diseased limb is the UK. Nailed it right enough.

posted on Feb, 25 2019 @ 08:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Steveogold

Yeh a Common market is a great idea. When did it morph into the United States of Europe, was it when the Globalist really got their fingers into the pie, or was that the agenda all along. Its falling apart organically anyway, the European central bank is printing, the inflation has to hit big sometime before each country goes back to its own currency. The Globalist controlled media will still be saying its all ok long after the patient died.

posted on Feb, 26 2019 @ 01:32 AM
link   
Well, my reading of all the politics is this.

1. The UK won't leave the EU without a deal
2. An extension to Article 50 is likely, perhaps by a couple of months
3. The EU won't really budge as they can see hope
4. UK politics will remain deadlocked
5. Another referendum will be the only outcome to clear the air.

Cynically politicians and the establishment have been working towards another referendum. The entire Brexit has been polluted by negativity to ensure that the result will be to stay in. Labour will now play for this card and prevent their MPs having a free vote on any other outcome.

EU = Very happy. It's the result they wanted and have doubtlessly been playing for.
UK Remainers = Very happy and will cite democracy and the "will of the people", while patronising the Leavers.
UK Leavers = Very disappointed and will rightfully cite a travesty of democracy.
UK Future = Every effort by EU and UK politicians to prevent a UK referendum ever happening ever again, except for in Scotland.
EU Future = A hastening of EU federalisation. One of the reasons why the EU is bad for the UK. But the quicker the EU do it, the better.

posted on Feb, 26 2019 @ 03:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: Soloprotocol

See that's the difference between you and I. Most people I know are on the bones of their arse already worrying about whether they have a job next month, juggling whether to apply for a crisis loan or starve to feed their Kids this week.

Why am I not surprised at your rant of assumptions.......

# A.) Just showing it is not costing more to go further afield and that the rest

of the world can be as cheap as the EU...... Indeed the world is a bigger place than

the EU.

# B.) One of the people I referred to going on one of these holidays is far from

being well off as you assume. She doesn't go on holiday every year and she does

two jobs to be able to afford to. A few years ago when her children were younger

and I was working, we went on these cheapie all in holidays with the children. I

couldn't believe it!! chatting to other families I would guess that about two thirds

of the families on holiday were on benefits.

If Brexit doesn't directly interfere with your day to day living I seriously hope for the likes of you the blowback will.

I cant see how it will......... The EU is the problem, leaving is NOT.

It's as simple as being on the winning side of a vote, isn't it?. It really is that simple for you. You even wish ill on the other 27 Eu countries without one single thought of what happens when an entire continent doesn't see eye to eye. you may have won the vote but history will tell how easily manipulated you were and I'm 100% sure the lasting effects of the outcome of that referendum will eventually come around to hit you hard.

You're entitled to your views even if they are a knee jerk reaction, I am

100% sure too that you are wrong.

I want the young in my family to have opportunities in the future, opportunities

to achieve to get somewhere, they wont if the UK remains shackled to the EU.

posted on Feb, 26 2019 @ 05:21 AM
link   

millions of people voted to leave the eu. 50% plus 1 was the remit.

the leave vote trumped the remain.

it was then passed to parliament to implement legislation to that effect.

article 50 was created and was passed by the house with an overwhelming vote.

this vote called for wto terms if a deal wasn't forthcoming. the house voted

for this. all the politicians voted on this.

during these two years media and eu luvvies have constantly done the rounds with

the intent of destroying the position of the withdrawl act.

i for one certainly didn't agree to compromises to appease the remainers or the eu,

and yet i surmised this could be acceptable for the good of these isles.

enough already, the compromises have gone too far. the eu luvvies are attempting to turn

brexit into an unconscious mandingo and are happily lining up taking selfies whilst

desecrating this overwhelmingly voted-on legislation such as i have never witnessed

before.

corbyn is toast as are many politicians who deem it fit to ignore the will of the people.

let me re-iterate the point that the consequences of desecrating the agreed legislation

will be dire for many politicians and their once-upon-a-time safe seats.

the flip-floppers will understand in due course when a general election is called.

fakexit.

posted on Feb, 26 2019 @ 07:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: fakedirt

during these two years media and eu luvvies have constantly done the rounds with

the intent of destroying the position of the withdrawl act.

i for one certainly didn't agree to compromises to appease the remainers or the eu,
and yet i surmised this could be acceptable for the good of these isles.
enough already, the compromises have gone too far. the eu luvvies are attempting to turn
brexit into an unconscious mandingo and are happily lining up taking selfies whilst
desecrating this overwhelmingly voted-on legislation such as i have never witnessed
before.

Lol!!! I was watching a discussion this morning and to say I was flabagasted is an

understatement

The majority of remain MP's want the *No Deal* taken off the table .......

which leaves T.Mays deal (which is a misnomer as it leaves us tied into the EU

forever as takers and not makers) OR *Remain*.

Are they stupid? or do they patronisingly think we are stupid?

Howcome they dont know the meaning of LEAVE

go away from depart from, go away from, go from, withdraw from, retire from, take oneself off from, exit from, take one's leave of, pull out of, quit, be gone from, decamp from, disappear from, abandon, vacate, absent oneself from

Two years ago all that was heard was.......NO DEAL IS BETTER THAN A BAD DEAL

Whatever happened to that? Dont hear it now.

posted on Feb, 26 2019 @ 07:27 AM
link   

The popular decision in Scotland that's a given.

posted on Feb, 26 2019 @ 07:51 AM
link   

I hear you eletheia.

a pathetic situation that has the potential of revealing many twists and turns.

lol i liken the situation to this.....when i go parachuting, i expect a reserve chute (wto) just in case of primary failure (pathetic deal). if the supervisor

demands i remove the reserve chute because he/she has decided it is not to his liking, i would think

this individual would end up binned and avoided like the plague.

cornish trigger pasties are in the oven lol!

f.

posted on Feb, 26 2019 @ 12:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: eletheia

What gets me about all the remainers wanting a second referendum is what

makes them think they will get the result they want??

From what I've seen the leave vote is stronger than ever!!

Then all you've seen is your own ignorance.
The vast majority of polls over the last year favour remain.

posted on Feb, 26 2019 @ 12:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: ziplock9000

like the vast majority of polls pre-referendum lol!

2nd
f.

posted on Feb, 26 2019 @ 01:40 PM
link   
There are just over 46 billion eligible voters in the UK. 17.5 voters voted to brexit. That leaves 28.5 billion people not being heard in this bums rush to leave the EU.
The reason why people are for a new vote is they now realise after the event that all the main reasons put forward for brexit were either lies or mis truths.
1. We don't want to be told what to do by unelected EU bureaucracy. Total lie. The UK has 73 democratically elected MEP's.
2. The EU gave us silly laws and dictated to us. Lie. NON and I mean no EU laws were foisted upon us they were ALL directives for our government to accept or reject. 2 prime examples, the Schengen agreement and the acceptance of a single currency , Both of which our government rejected.
3. We want control of our borders back. Lie. We have never lost any control of our borders, in fact we have extended our border control onto French soil.
4. Immigration. Misdirection. People voted on this issue with the understanding that the immigrants being talked about were coming from non EU countries. These figures of immigrants were what our government agreed to accept, not an EU directive.
5. A nice sweet lie. Vote brexit and we'll give the NHS a few billion. Lie. It vanished straight after the vote.
6. We want our sovereignty back. What the hell is our sovereignty? A word that's thrown about that got not the slightest meaning for the UK public.
Now I could go into a long diatribe of what we should have had from the EU but that would take the whole of ATS's pages.

posted on Feb, 26 2019 @ 02:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: crayzeed
There are just over 46 billion eligible voters in the UK. 17.5 voters voted to brexit. That leaves 28.5 billion people not being heard in this bums rush to leave the EU.
The reason why people are for a new vote is they now realise after the event that all the main reasons put forward for brexit were either lies or mis truths.
1. We don't want to be told what to do by unelected EU bureaucracy. Total lie. The UK has 73 democratically elected MEP's.
2. The EU gave us silly laws and dictated to us. Lie. NON and I mean no EU laws were foisted upon us they were ALL directives for our government to accept or reject. 2 prime examples, the Schengen agreement and the acceptance of a single currency , Both of which our government rejected.
3. We want control of our borders back. Lie. We have never lost any control of our borders, in fact we have extended our border control onto French soil.
4. Immigration. Misdirection. People voted on this issue with the understanding that the immigrants being talked about were coming from non EU countries. These figures of immigrants were what our government agreed to accept, not an EU directive.
5. A nice sweet lie. Vote brexit and we'll give the NHS a few billion. Lie. It vanished straight after the vote.
6. We want our sovereignty back. What the hell is our sovereignty? A word that's thrown about that got not the slightest meaning for the UK public.
Now I could go into a long diatribe of what we should have had from the EU but that would take the whole of ATS's pages.

Well said.

posted on Feb, 26 2019 @ 02:36 PM
link   

This time adleast you will get a good turn out and nobody will be able to argue about that.

posted on Feb, 26 2019 @ 02:38 PM
link   
a reply to: crayzeed

There are just over 46 billion eligible voters in the UK.

Surely you mean million, not billion ?

posted on Feb, 26 2019 @ 02:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: ziplock9000

Typical ignorant reply.

I'll assume you must be be an ignorant remainer?

In your dreams maybe....... Remainers never even considered the 2016

referendum would result in leave. A revote will not change anything.

All the beating of drums, noise and protests are made by remainers

which only gives the 'impression' more people want to remain ......

just because they shout louder doesn't mean its fact.

posted on Feb, 26 2019 @ 05:23 PM
link   
a reply to: crayzeed

28.5 billion people not being heard in this bums rush to leave the EU???????????????

Confused 72.2% of the Eligible voters go up and voted.
27.8% decided didn't care or thought their side would win or their vote would matter. THEIR CHOICE NOT TO BE HEARD.

using your logic if the 16,141,241 who voted to remain get their way. 29.7 Billion people are not going to be heard in this Bums rush to Stay... which is more than you so this is the only fair way.

If TM, said ah Furk-it we're not leaving, Labour and the Scots will all be hounding the #e out of her to follow the democratic process.

Accepting that "NO DEAL" is a possibility and EU will be totally locked of the UK Market and Tourist money, shipping lanes, airspace and fishing areas is the only way to try and negotiate a fair deal for both sides. IF EU wants a land Border let them pay for and put up a land border on their side if they don't they can't make the UK do it.
If Spain wants to trade with the UK then why should it matter to the UK what "EU" wants. We talk to Spain.

posted on Feb, 26 2019 @ 06:22 PM
link   
A couple of things need pointing out.

a reply to: ziplock9000

Polls before the last General Election unanimously predicted a landslide victory for The Tories....they lost MP's.
All major opinion polls before the referendum predicted a comfortable Remain vote.

Both were spectacularly wrong....they don't really have much credibility.

a reply to: purplemer

This time adleast you will get a good turn out and nobody will be able to argue about that.

Voter turnout at the referendum was 72.2% of registered voters....very high, especially considering the appalling weather on the day.

People are 'arguing' after that ballot, why do you think it'd be any different after a second referendum?

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join