It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anyone know how to setup a VPN provider site?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 25 2019 @ 11:00 AM
link   
I'm considering setting up a website (a forum or sorts) and I'd like to provide free VPN access to the site for people who use it - so they can remain as anonymous as possible while posting. I thought the best way to do this would be an independent site that is a VPN provider allowing free use of the VPN service to people connecting to the forum site. I'd like to offer the VPN service (fee based) to anyone, for normal internet use as well. I'm just not sure if it is possible to create some kind of "white list" (a list of sites which allow free use of the VPN, while connecting to any other site not on the whitelist would require the paid services). Does anyone know if something like this is possible?

I'm also looking into possibly providing email accounts for people who use the site who want to remain anonymous (maybe offer emails from the VPN domain name, or some other other domain name). I'd like to allow access to this email service to be free through the VPN.

I'm trying to find a good solution for offering webmail to customers as well as decent forum software. I've built a few phpBB3 based forums and it's a decent open source/free software but I'm wondering if there are some better options. I used to really like vBulletin before version 5 but now I'm kind of stuck trying to figure out what forum software may be best.

So any suggestions on VPN software, Forum software and a webmail server would be much appreciated as well.

On a side note, I plan to run all the systems on either BSD or Linux (Red Hat, CentOS, Debian or Ubuntu - other suggestions are welcome).

Thanks.

posted on Feb, 25 2019 @ 12:40 PM
link   

You could host your own VPN server with a web hosting provider, and this may actually be a few bucks cheaper a month than going with a dedicated VPN provider. You’ll pay the hosting provider for server hosting, and then install a VPN server on the server they’ve provided to you.

www.howtogeek.com...

posted on Feb, 25 2019 @ 04:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96

You could host your own VPN server with a web hosting provider, and this may actually be a few bucks cheaper a month than going with a dedicated VPN provider. You’ll pay the hosting provider for server hosting, and then install a VPN server on the server they’ve provided to you.

www.howtogeek.com...

Do you think something like what you linked to would be able to support 20-300 users (as long as the system is fast enough and there's enough bandwidth)?

I'm also thinking of offering a complete virtual machine download (a small Linux distro) in maybe VMware or Virtual Box and have the system set up to run the VPN one one browser and possibly a SSH tunnel on a different browser - as well as everything setup for IMAP/POP email (Thunderbird maybe) & webmail + bookmarks/homepage to the forum site. This way if people want to connect to the site, they can run the virtual machine and just enter their username/password from signing up, and they don't have record of it on their normal system.

Just to make it clear, this isn't a site for anything illegal but for people who might not want their work/industry to know what they are talking about with others - so they can connect with other people and not fear their employers tracing things back to their IP or email address.

posted on Feb, 25 2019 @ 05:00 PM
link   
a reply to: DigginFoTroof

Im not on board, but this sounds like something i would use a bypass proxy such as zerotier and its built in firewalling, and API. I cannot think of a good free solution though.

posted on Feb, 25 2019 @ 05:16 PM
link   
a reply to: drewlander

I take this back after re-reading your post. Im so far lost i have no idea how to help. :-/

posted on Feb, 25 2019 @ 10:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: drewlander
a reply to: drewlander

I take this back after re-reading your post. Im so far lost i have no idea how to help. :-/

Thanks for trying to help. I guess it wasn't so clear. I am making my own forum site and in addition to that I want to setup another domain/site that provides VPN service to people (like the services people pay for, not just a client/single install - I want to set up the server that will host LOTS of people - like a business).

posted on Feb, 25 2019 @ 10:18 PM
link   
a reply to: DigginFoTroof

Lol if you are the expert with all the years of experience you claimed in other posts, why are you always asking other people to do the work for you?

Seriously, check out your thread creation history

posted on Feb, 25 2019 @ 11:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: DigginFoTroof

originally posted by: neo96

www.howtogeek.com...

Do you think something like what you linked to would be able to support 20-300 users (as long as the system is fast enough and there's enough bandwidth)?

I'm also thinking of offering a complete virtual machine download (a small Linux distro) in maybe VMware or Virtual Box and have the system set up to run the VPN one one browser and possibly a SSH tunnel on a different browser - as well as everything setup for IMAP/POP email (Thunderbird maybe) & webmail + bookmarks/homepage to the forum site. This way if people want to connect to the site, they can run the virtual machine and just enter their username/password from signing up, and they don't have record of it on their normal system.

Just to make it clear, this isn't a site for anything illegal but for people who might not want their work/industry to know what they are talking about with others - so they can connect with other people and not fear their employers tracing things back to their IP or email address.

So, Tor?

Tor Project

And Tails?

Tails

edit on 25-2-2019 by BoneSay because: (no reason given)

top topics

join