It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Looking for a video featuring Frank Drake on latest advances in his equation

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 24 2019 @ 10:38 PM
link   
Months ago I saw a really good video on the latest progress on the Drake equation for finding extraterrestrials. Here the basic videos. But if anyone knows of any really good videos on the drake equation and the latest updates to the factors please post it:

www.dailymotion.com...

What may be the latest update:

edit on 24-2-2019 by dfnj2015 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2019 @ 03:05 AM
link   
Why a video ?
There are plenty of articles out there on recent Drake Equation factors
In fact , most have added in as many factors as possible , and it turns out we may well be alone in the Universe.
And , you did know that Drake's equation was merely an example of how probability could be used in astronomy , correct ?

posted on Feb, 25 2019 @ 06:56 AM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

That be quite unique at being alone in the Universe but also sad as in we so intent to kill each other and this planet alongside no other life existing in the cosmo

posted on Feb, 25 2019 @ 07:30 AM
link   
a reply to: HepCat

It's really hard to imagine we are the only ones. Seems from my understanding of the factors a middle of the road estimate would be life would occur every 10,000 light years. Just far enough apart to make it practically impossible to know anyone else exists.

Given the time it takes to get there it might as well as not to exist. We need FTL or space-folding technology to even have a chance.

Humanity would probably be best served by having several million colonists on the moons or asteroid belt in case people on the Earth blow themselves up.

edit on 25-2-2019 by dfnj2015 because: (no reason given)

edit on 25-2-2019 by dfnj2015 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2019 @ 07:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: dfnj2015

It's really hard to imagine we are the only ones. Seems from my understanding of the factors a middle of the road estimate would be life would occur every 10,000 light years. Just far enough apart to make it practically impossible to know anyone else exists.

Given the time it takes to get there it might as well as not to exist. We need FTL or space-folding technology to even have a chance.

Humanity would probably be best served by having several million colonists on the moons or asteroid belt in case people on the Earth blow themselves up.

Drakes equation means nothing it's guesses multiplied by guesses based on assumptions.

posted on Feb, 26 2019 @ 07:37 AM
link   
a reply to: wmd_2008

what i like about drakes equation - or any of its offsprings :

give me a coherent reason to sat any parrameter to zero ?

if you cannot - still think we is the only life to ever inhabit this universe ???

yes - we may be aeons behind a long extinct eco system - or massivly in-front of a primeveal one

but the only ?????????????????????

posted on Feb, 26 2019 @ 12:10 PM
link   
a reply to: dfnj2015

It's very important to remember that the Drakes equation is not science. It's more akin to fun educated guesswork. It can be out by many orders of magnitude and we'd not know.

posted on Feb, 26 2019 @ 12:44 PM
link   
a reply to: ziplock9000

yes - the drake equation is science

you SEEM to confuse the fact that we CURRENTLY have no scientific way of determining each value with any accuracy

thats where the " guesses // assumptions come from

an example / analogy

do you calcuate the US population - from US gov cencus data - or by ask cletus how many folks he thinks there re ?????????

PS - still waiting for " someone " to explain hy any value should be set = zero

posted on Feb, 28 2019 @ 09:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: dfnj2015

Working on a sample base of one planet on which it is known one species that has developed a level of technology, how on Earth is it possible to make a conclusion of 10,000 light years? That just seems to be someone's guess work or fantasy. You would need (IMHO) a minimum of 3 planets with the same characteristics - and I mean all of them, to come to any meaningful conclusion.

top topics

join