It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SCI/TECH: Global Flyer Begins Solo Flight Around World Update: Almost Home!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 28 2005 @ 11:31 PM
link   
Steve Fossett who in 2002 became the first man to fly a balloon around the world solo, has lifted off in an attempt to circumnavigate the globe without refueling. The 23,000 mile trip in the GlobalFlyer would be the longest unrefueled flight ever attempted by a jet aircraft. The previous record holder was a B-52 that had flown 12,000 miles. The GlobalFlyer is designed by Scaled Composite founder Burt Rutan.

Update: Almost Home

SALINA, Kan. - Millionaire adventurer Steve Fossett was again flying over U.S. soil, completing a long crossing of the Pacific Ocean early Thursday morning as he headed for the finish of his nonstop around-the-world solo flight.

"I'm really starting to perk up, now realizing that I'm getting close to the end," Fossett said.

Fossett returned to U.S. airspace shortly before 8 a.m. CST, and cruised over Los Angeles about 61 hours after leaving from Salina on his record-setting attempt. If Fossett makes it back to the central Kansas town, and he's expected at around 2:20 p.m. EST, he'll become the first person to circumnavigate the globe alone without stopping or refueling.
Almost Home

www.foxnews.com
SALINA, Kan. — Millionaire adventurer Steve Fossett took off Monday night on his attempt to become the first person to complete a solo trip around the world in an airplane without making a single stop.

Fossett, the first person to circle the globe solo in a balloon, launched his GlobalFlyer from the Salina Municipal Airport shortly before 7 p.m., beginning a 66-hour journey by climbing northeast into a darkening sky.

Hundreds of spectators, braving a bitterly cold wind, gathered along the two-mile runway to watch the takeoff. Fossett hoped to return to Salina on Thursday morning.

The 23,000-mile flight had already been postponed several times because of shifting jet stream patterns or weather at the airport.

"I'm a bit nervous about takeoff," said Fossett, 60, who has logged about 30 hours in the jet-powered aircraft. "I will be the ultimate test pilot. I have a lot to worry about. It's a major endeavor."

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

It seems like yesterday when Rutans propeller aircraft made the same flight non stop. The Rutans of the world who can think outside of the box are the best hope for aviation's future. Mainstream companies have become so bogged down in projections and accounting that its the pencil pushers that are telling the aeronautic engineers how to built the planes not the other way around. We have become so risk adverse as a society that innovation is being stifled because of the fear of failure. Best of luck to Steve Fossett and may he have a trouble free flight.

[edit on 3/3/05 by FredT]

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 05:10 PM
link   
Live tracking and video here:

Virgin Atlantic Global Flyer Flight Tracker

Because of heavy traffic the site might not be accessible all the time. I can access it right now...

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 05:20 PM
link   
thanks for the links guys.

Looks like he's over Saudia Arabia right now..

posted on Mar, 2 2005 @ 09:33 AM
link   
Here is an update just breaking now on this story.

Adventurer Steve Fossett’s bid to become the first person to fly solo non stop around the globe was in peril today after his aircraft “lost” 26,000lbs of fuel.

A discrepancy between fuel calculations means the aircraft has far less fuel on board than predicted and is reliant on tail winds to make it safely back to the US start point in Salina, Kansas.

Source

The story is breaking on MSNBC and note there seem to be some discrepancies. The above source claims he has lost 26,000 lbs of fuel yet in the lower section of the story it states he took off with 18,000 lbs

Fossett, 60, took off on Monday evening with 18,000lbs on board and after 37 hours of flight has just 5,500lbs left in his tanks.

Mission control is now saying he lost 2,600 lbs not 26,000 as reported.

posted on Mar, 3 2005 @ 09:00 AM
link   
Update.

63.6o
195.00 Knots
45,148ft
W113.57303
N35.61332

Tracker works now

All looks good.

posted on Mar, 3 2005 @ 09:48 AM
link   
He just might make it, will be close for sure. Hopefullly his fuel will hold out-

posted on Mar, 3 2005 @ 10:44 AM
link   
according to the news he just fly over LA and is expected in kanass at 330 eta. and still has 3600 pounds of fule left so barring any late complactions he should make it.
On the pluse side now hes back over land so even in an emergincy he should be able to land.

posted on Mar, 3 2005 @ 12:06 PM
link   

SALINA, Kan. - Millionaire adventurer Steve Fossett was again flying over U.S. soil, completing a long crossing of the Pacific Ocean early Thursday morning as he headed for the finish of his nonstop around-the-world solo flight.

"I'm really starting to perk up, now realizing that I'm getting close to the end," Fossett said.

Fossett returned to U.S. airspace shortly before 8 a.m. CST, and cruised over Los Angeles about 61 hours after leaving from Salina on his record-setting attempt. If Fossett makes it back to the central Kansas town, and he's expected at around 2:20 p.m. EST, he'll become the first person to circumnavigate the globe alone without stopping or refueling.
Almost Home

new topics

top topics

join