It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Several Ole Miss athletes kneel during anthem in response to pro-Confederacy rally: report

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 24 2019 @ 08:20 AM
link   
a reply to: Boadicea

but I sure know what I've been told by my military family and friends, and this kneeling is the absolute last thing they give a flying freak about.

Same with my military family. They are fine with this and feel there are much more important issues to talk about.

posted on Feb, 24 2019 @ 08:21 AM
link   
a reply to: scraedtosleep

I'd stand.

For a country where I get paid millions of dollars for throwing a ball around.

posted on Feb, 24 2019 @ 08:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: neo96
a reply to: scraedtosleep

I'd stand.

For a country where I get paid millions of dollars for throwing a ball around.

These are college basket ball students that dont get paid millions of dollars to throw a ball around.

Hell many NFL players who I assume you are referencing dont get paid millions either.

posted on Feb, 24 2019 @ 08:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: TinySickTears

originally posted by: Metallicus

It doesn’t matter why they are doing it because it is disrespectful in the opinion of many people to kneel during the Anthem.

it is not disrespectful to many people.

so who is right?

this is another one of those topics that people like you and Neo love to cry over.

i hope they keep kneeling so you all keep crying about another non issue.

nothing like forced patriotism.
its the best kind.
haha

That is so lame. How do you say that? The Confederate Battle Flag is not offensive to some people should we wave that around? Kneeling offends patriots deeply. The Rebel flag offends Blacks deeply.
RESPECT YOUR NEIGHBORS! Don't rub their noses in your fetishes please.

posted on Feb, 24 2019 @ 08:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: Boadicea
a reply to: EternalSolace

I can't speak for all military, but I sure know what I've been told by my military family and friends, and this kneeling is the absolute last thing they give a flying freak about.

Veterans are killing themselves at unprecedented rates. Veterans cannot get the healthcare they need and are promised. Veterans are being given psychoactive drugs like candy. Veterans are homeless and hungry and suffering. And folks ignore all that but cry and whine like babies when someone kneels during the anthem. Our military knows what's worth pitching a fit about and what's not.

Ask any military person you want if they would rather have the proper care and treatment for military or if they'd rather stop the kneeling... which do you think THEY would choose???

I just gave an Air Force vet $100 so he could go to the doctor. Do you think he's more worried about getting to the doctor or a bunch of basketball players kneeling during the anthem???

Military knows to pick their battles carefully. Some are just pissing matches. Some are life and death.

Well, I literaly know 100s and only knew one who thinks like that. I served and I have lots of people I have worked with who served. We think it is respect for those who gave ALL so we can be crybabies or hate our POTUS without fear of being executed. That is all it ever was about folks.

ETA

While it is disappointing to people to see this, I do agree they should not be more than ostracized peacefully and not harrased physically as the Left do people in Restaurants and on Baseball fields these days. Thanks to Maxine Waters it won't get better until it gets worse.
edit on 24-2-2019 by Justoneman because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2019 @ 09:10 AM
link   
Protest a Confederate rally by protesting a symbol that ended the Confederacy.

Speaks volumes for the education they are receiving at this college.

posted on Feb, 24 2019 @ 09:11 AM
link   
LULzing at the 'Confederate rally', what were they chanting? 'We're number two'?

posted on Feb, 24 2019 @ 09:34 AM
link   
Ok so, entertainers should just entertain, sports should just be sports, etc etc. If you start injecting your opinion in a job that can dictate how much money you bring home, you put that in jeopardy. Not everyone is gonna agree on things and the intellectually weak are the ones who think you should believe what they do or you're just wrong and a hateful person. God i love run on sentences, still i digress.

People that do this need their ass removed, and people should stop paying them attention for no other reason than it stops being entertainment and starts becoming soap box horse shat. Just remember hollow over paid athletes and actors...when your daft, its forever.

posted on Feb, 24 2019 @ 10:13 AM
link   
a reply to: kookkook

I can get behind this first sentence. Sports should just be sports.

Why play the national anthem there to begin with? It’s just a basketball game, why do people need to demonstrate their love of country beforehand? Stop injecting politics into places it shouldn’t be, and this problem is completely solved.

But since that won’t stop anytime soon, it’s just freedom of speech. So many folks here are all about practicing the freedoms given to us by our forefathers...until it’s used in a way they disagree with. It’s simply freedom of speech.
And their “employers” (coach and school) support them, so nothing is going to happen to them unless the CEO (NCAA) steps in, which I doubt will happen.

So...who cares? If you think it’s disrespectful, that’s your problem and your problem only, because they aren’t doing anything that goes against any rules, they’re just expressing an opinion, the exact same thing you’re all doing by saying it’s disrespectful.
If you don’t like it, don’t watch the game, and then you won’t have to be offended. Problem solved.

For what it’s worth, I have several family members that are in the military, and none of them are offended in the slightest by people kneeling for the anthem.

On the contrary, a few of them have even said that they like seeing it, because it shows that people are exercising the freedoms that the military fights to protect.

posted on Feb, 24 2019 @ 10:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: scraedtosleep
a reply to: network dude

I'd prefer to exercise my freedoms whenever I chose is the right time, but that's just me.

I like to live free.

when we start shooting those who kneel during the anthem, you can blubber, on, and on, and #ing on, about your rights to be a douche, till then, when someone has an opinion that isn't the same as yours, deal with it. I don't like it or agree with it, so given the opportunity, yes, I will voice my opinion. And no, your tears, your whining, your open disdain for those who gave their lives so you could be this kind of person freely, won't stop that. but that's just me.

posted on Feb, 24 2019 @ 10:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: network dude

I'd prefer to exercise my freedoms whenever I chose is the right time, but that's just me.

I like to live free.

when we start shooting those who kneel during the anthem, you can blubber, on, and on, and #ing on, about your rights to be a douche, till then, when someone has an opinion that isn't the same as yours, deal with it. I don't like it or agree with it, so given the opportunity, yes, I will voice my opinion. And no, your tears, your whining, your open disdain for those who gave their lives so you could be this kind of person freely, won't stop that. but that's just me.

So...you can give your opinion, but scaredtosleep isn’t allowed to? Sounds like freedom to me. /sarc

posted on Feb, 24 2019 @ 10:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

LULzing at the 'Confederate rally', what were they chanting? 'We're number two'?

imagine the brain trust it took to enact a protest to such a thing. triggered.

posted on Feb, 24 2019 @ 10:36 AM
link   
a reply to: narrator

nope he/she is free to cry buckets, if that's what they want. I just won't be silenced. is that cool with you?

posted on Feb, 24 2019 @ 10:41 AM
link   

a reply to: narrator

nope he/she is free to cry buckets, if that's what they want. I just won't be silenced. is that cool with you?

Sure is, as long as you’re cool with those you disagree with not being silenced either.

No one is trying to silence you. At least, not here.

posted on Feb, 24 2019 @ 11:20 AM
link   

The proper time is NOT during the National Anthem.

Who made this decision on behalf of all of us?

everyone who understands sacrifice, duty, honor, and country. Nobody said you had to serve, or be bothered to understand those who did, but when all that's asked is that you STFU for 2 minutes, and you can't do that, well, you suck as a person.

No, the ones who suck as people are the ones who think it’s acceptable to tell others how to do exercise their first amendment rights to free speech and protest. And for the record, this is coming from someone who was in the 3rd Ranger Battalion and the 10th Mtn Div and is a 45 year old cripple as a result of my service. I took an oath to honor and defend theConstitution of the United States. And that includes supporting the first amendment right of everyone whether I agree with their position or not, whether it’s Colin Kaepernic or David Duke. Likewise, while I disagree with your perspective, I wouldn’t tell you that voicing it shouldn’t be allowed. Ill simply explain a logical counterpoint and leave it at that.

I’ve sacrificed everything, gave up the beat years of my life to a government that turned its back on me and I know all about duty and honor to my country and in my mind, that includes supporting the 1st amendment at all costs.

posted on Feb, 24 2019 @ 11:21 AM
link   

imagine the brain trust it took to enact a protest to such a thing. triggered.

As Jack Handy famously said, 'It takes a big man to cry, but it takes bigger man to laugh at that man'.

posted on Feb, 24 2019 @ 11:42 AM
link   
I think protest is the wrong word here. It’s not so much a protest as it is a chance to virtue-signal.

posted on Feb, 24 2019 @ 12:33 PM
link   

a reply to: EternalSolace

And in no way shape or form makes any rational sense.

It might if you actually heard from the kneelers why they are doing it instead of just going along with what your being told.

They don't need to tell us.
We already know.

They saw how profitable activism on the playing field was for fluff head(kapernack) and Nike so decided to follow suit. Not a single one of these scholarship toting kids has ever been oppressed.

In fact they have been coddled to. Their free ride to a degree is a testament to this.

Nothing to see here.
Just more products of affirmative action and the racism of low expectations from liberals and democrats.

posted on Feb, 24 2019 @ 12:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Justoneman

Well, I literaly know 100s and only knew one who thinks like that. I served and I have lots of people I have worked with who served.

Then I think you and every other military member who feels this way fought and served for all the wrong reasons. Protecting and defending our nation, our Constitution, and our freedom and liberty absolutely DEMANDS that we respect this right to peaceful protest. We don't whine and cry and call people names. We stand back and take pride and honor that we live in a nation where people are free to protest whatever they want.

We think it is respect for those who gave ALL so we can be crybabies or hate our POTUS without fear of being executed. That is all it ever was about folks.

Exactly, respect and honor for those who served and sacrificed so that everyone can be a crybaby if they want... whether you're crying about a Confederate Flag or you're crying about those kneeling in protest over that Confederate flag. If you cannot and will not loudly and proudly not just respect but honor their protest, then you were fighting for someone's "freedom," but sure as hell not everyone's, and that's not freedom. That's privilege and entitlement.

"Protest for me but not for thee!"

Now, I am sure that among your hundreds of military family and friends, at least one of them need help they aren't getting. That's where they need your outrage. Long after the kneeling has stopped...

posted on Feb, 24 2019 @ 06:31 PM
link   

everyone who understands sacrifice, duty, honor, and country. Nobody said you had to serve, or be bothered to understand those who did, but when all that's asked is that you STFU for 2 minutes, and you can't do that, well, you suck as a person.

The pledge of allegiance is to the flag and the United States of America

Not the military

Nobody can be forced to swear an oath to either. Why? Because, for the time being - this is still the United States of America

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join