It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Vehicle to have when the SHTF

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2019 @ 11:04 PM
link   
a reply to: anonentity

We have for that special occasion a 1990 dodge D350 with a Cummins diesel.

Standard transmission... do it right and you don't need a battery to start it unless it is really cold.

No electronics to worry about... mechanical injection to boot.

I ran it for a few years on used transmission oil.

you can run it off of fast food grease.

So no worries about gasoline at all.

As an added bonus it has enough torque to pull pretty much anything.

Currently it's our snow plow, but if TSHTF we've got something that will go anywhere, needs very little maintenance and can run off of fluids from the dead cars on the side of the road... pretty much forever.

As for bugging out, we are set up to bug in.

edit on 23-2-2019 by Lumenari because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2019 @ 11:07 PM
link   
I'd go with a dirt bike myself but I'm kinda surrounded bye 1000s of miles of dessert

really it depends on where you are when you need to go 50 miles to find water walking is not best when you have plenty of water but no visibility I wouldn't want to make alot of noise

posted on Feb, 23 2019 @ 11:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: markovian
I'd go with a dirt bike myself but I'm kinda surrounded bye 1000s of miles of dessert

really it depends on where you are when you need to go 50 miles to find water walking is not best when you have plenty of water but no visibility I wouldn't want to make alot of noise

If you are surrounded by 1000s of miles of dessert, why go anywhere?

Unless it's like pound cake or those nasty Christmas fruit log things,, then I would understand.

Is there variations as well? Like lemon pie to the south. cheesecake to the north...

~wanders off to find some cheesecake.~

posted on Feb, 23 2019 @ 11:35 PM
link   
Only one vehicle will escape the hordes of cannibals.

..a boat

posted on Feb, 23 2019 @ 11:56 PM
link   
I think that it all depends upon where you live and where you need to go.

If you live in a city and have to drive 300 miles to get to your bugout location then you will need a truck to get you, your family and their supplies moved.

If you already live in the country, perhaps you need solar panels and an electric vehicle so you can continue to drive as necessary.

You always have to remember that if its really TEOTWAWKI then those who are prepared have the best chance of surviving. But I think that you will need to be in a low population area, on a farm that is already established.

posted on Feb, 24 2019 @ 12:19 AM
link   
With three horses you can work wonders.

They can be your mules, workhorses, mobility, speed and cover. They can help pitch a tent, alert you to nearby a presence, provide companionship, and give you a tactical advantage. Horses provide greater strategic option when foraging, migrating or moving, and require little more fuel than a meadow can't provide.

Give me three horses and the # Doesn't Hit The Fan.

posted on Feb, 24 2019 @ 12:20 AM
link   

None.

posted on Feb, 24 2019 @ 12:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: Lumenari

originally posted by: markovian

If you are surrounded by 1000s of miles of dessert, why go anywhere?

Unless it's like pound cake or those nasty Christmas fruit log things,, then I would understand.

Is there variations as well? Like lemon pie to the south. cheesecake to the north...

~wanders off to find some cheesecake.~

water ... water ... water oh and water in the desert that's really all that matters if you find that the rest will come

it's not like the stuff is everywhere hints the dessert part

oh and I ment 100s not 1000s lol

I dont think theres anywhere with 1000s of miles and no water of some kind

edit ah I see what u did lol damm auto correct
edit on 24-2-2019 by markovian because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2019 @ 12:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: Wildbob77
I think that it all depends upon where you live and where you need to go.

If you live in a city and have to drive 300 miles to get to your bugout location then you will need a truck to get you, your family and their supplies moved.

If you already live in the country, perhaps you need solar panels and an electric vehicle so you can continue to drive as necessary.

You always have to remember that if its really TEOTWAWKI then those who are prepared have the best chance of surviving. But I think that you will need to be in a low population area, on a farm that is already established.

I think if you live on the outskirts of a city you have a chance. Low-income, high-density wards will be hell on Earth.

posted on Feb, 24 2019 @ 12:31 AM
link   
My personal fav as I am a Jeep fan with added armour, bulletproof tyres and more artillery. You would also need a massive fuel truck like the new mad max, and some blackhawk choppers etc too. Or some mad nuclear or electric solar plus hydro power plant under the hood.

Or you could go in pimp style.

But cross that hummer with this monster.

Or this with some more artillery added.

edit on 24-2-2019 by aliensanonymous because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2019 @ 12:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: Tempter
With three horses you can work wonders.

They can be your mules, workhorses, mobility, speed and cover. They can help pitch a tent, alert you to nearby a presence, provide companionship, and give you a tactical advantage. Horses provide greater strategic option when foraging, migrating or moving, and require little more fuel than a meadow can't provide.

Give me three horses and the # Doesn't Hit The Fan.

We have horses.... and alpacas. The alpacas are phenomenal pack animals, and our horses get along very well with them.

posted on Feb, 24 2019 @ 01:10 AM
link   
No one said, In a Van Down By The River?

This is the ultimate SHTF vehicle... a beat up creepy van!
Perfect camouflage because it looks abandon and run down.
Good place to hide the ladies too! ; )

posted on Feb, 24 2019 @ 01:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: Mandroid7
Only one vehicle will escape the hordes of cannibals.

..a boat

Lol yeah but that didn't work too well in 28 days later. Just sayin man!

posted on Feb, 24 2019 @ 01:48 AM
link   

A motor bike is the worst vehicle you could choose. Hands down period. Your bullet proof engine is a non factor because if you were on a motor bike, I'd be shooting at you, not the engine. And a graze would likely be enough for you to lay it over, as well as allow me the time to close width while you're disoriented, and kill you and obtain your vehicle and supplies.

Range Rover, land rover, Hummer (diesel), off trail jeep, etc are my vehicles of choice. Followed by Suburban, Tahoe, Yukon, Yukon XL...

These have the capability for range, durability, haul, and people to carry.

My long term goal would be to obtain a semi. To haul the afformentioned items for the most miles.

posted on Feb, 24 2019 @ 02:23 AM
link   
A horse and a pack mule.............gets into places a vehicle cant, is a lot quieter, no need to rely on trying to scrounge for fuel, just let it graze and find water.....which youll likely be looking for anyway......and if push really really came to shove, you could bunker down and eat it......

posted on Feb, 24 2019 @ 02:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: ManBehindTheMask
A horse and a pack mule.............gets into places a vehicle cant, is a lot quieter, no need to rely on trying to scrounge for fuel, just let it graze and find water.....which youll likely be looking for anyway......and if push really really came to shove, you could bunker down and eat it......

Those really are the best, and I'm assuming the upkeep of a mule, horse, donkey takes just as much knowledge as up keeping a 4wd of equal caliber.

The food parameter will always be the tipping point... unless you can dehydrate the donkey on an engine block...

posted on Feb, 24 2019 @ 04:41 AM
link   
One that you know how to work on, disassemble rebuild if necessary the type is really irrelevant if you cant turn wrenches on it in an effective manner. also preferably one that is highly popular in the country to make certain there will be plenty of parts if needed.

posted on Feb, 24 2019 @ 05:11 AM
link   
I've given much thought to this.

As there isn't anything like the Rover from the 100 in real life.

The next best thing.

Keep it in a metal storage container ( faraday cage).
edit on 24-2-2019 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2019 @ 06:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: LookingAtMars

But can it drive through a wall of words

Lololol that was good. Paragraph breaks are welcomed

posted on Feb, 24 2019 @ 06:57 AM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

But the problem is, it will be a Snow Hits The Finns event, like we are possibly getting fifteen to thirty more inches of snow in the next twenty four hours.

We are just supposed to get the high winds.... Startin to blow now... sw Mi

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join