It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Vehicle to have when the SHTF

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2019 @ 09:18 PM
link   
For the past few weeks I have been looking at the scenario if the SHTF and particularly the type of vehicle to have ,where range is important with regards to Miles per gallon , along with cruising speed, ability to carry supplies more than a bug out bag. If in the event of an EMP , it has to be old tech, it also has to have the ability to be worked on and maintained in a non workshop environment. It has to be nimble enough to go off road and not to heavy to manhandle. It has to be able to carry at least two people, and be reliable. Spare parts would have to be obtainable, or made when required. Plus a few more things I probably haven't thought of. One is fuel type and availability, in that category it would be its ability to run on home made alcohol. The internal combustion engine was originally designed to run on Naphtha but the Original Ford would run well on moonshine, which led to an overzealous reaction to those running cars on it during the last depression.
After all these points were considered, personally I came up with a final decision, it has to be a small motorbike, around the 125cc range, with a proven bullet proof engine which has been around long enough to have the bugs out of it, personally the winner if you can call it that. Was the HN 125 Suzuki as by anecdotal reports it was good for 60 thousand miles without much being done to it. The idea that a full tank of gas around 3.2 gallons thereabouts can get you over three hundred miles away from a dangerous situation in about six hours at its comfortable cruising speed was a great consideration. Long range cruising in a comfortable riding position is another essential component, which puts its ability slower but almost as good as having a personal plane at your disposal, but without the problems .So it turns out that the little motorbike, could be on the go long after the big bore Harley, has run out of Gas. What does ATS think of my personal analysis...and more importantly what would be your choice in a similar scenario.

+7 more 
posted on Feb, 23 2019 @ 09:24 PM
link   
a reply to: anonentity

But can it drive through a wall of words

posted on Feb, 23 2019 @ 09:25 PM
link   
An older small block diesel based truck that can run on corn syrup if need be. Best way to haul generators and other equipment. But then there's the whole bullet proof thing. Sure, you could have bullet proof windows... But that won't help stop a bullet to the radiator. It's the best option because there are no perfect options.

I don't think a perfect shtf vehicle exists anywhere other than some crazy military stuff.
edit on 23-2-2019 by Wookiep because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2019 @ 09:28 PM
link   
Two people plus supplies on a 125cc.

What cruising speed.

Go hire one for a day and try it. Good luck.

Where do you put the supplies?

P

+5 more 
posted on Feb, 23 2019 @ 09:34 PM
link   
I envisioned this

and you suggest this

posted on Feb, 23 2019 @ 09:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Rikku

Ha Ha ! But now I have to find a Diesel 125. Problem is they don't exist.

www.roadsmile.com...

edit on 23-2-2019 by anonentity because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2019 @ 09:41 PM
link   
Outside of an EMP (we have horses for that situation), we use a team vehicle concept. We have two 4WD Jeeps with V8s and towing packages... and a scout/chase vehicle (Chevy Impala), all with mobile radios.

The idea, is that my dumb a$$ will drive the Impala several miles ahead of our main group... if pressed, it looks enough like an unmarked patrol car to possibly talk my way through... if that doesn't work... she's bad fast, and remarkably nimble for a car that size. The point is finding safe passage for my family... even if it is only a distraction.

The Impala is a "flex-fuel" vehicle, and will happily run on grain alcohol. Ranging ahead with the Chevy, can save gasoline for the Jeeps if supplies are tight.

In any case, I will have Pink Floyd cranked up to a very uncomfortable decibel level. "Run like hell" on repeat...

edit on 23-2-2019 by madmac5150 because: Run!

posted on Feb, 23 2019 @ 09:44 PM
link   
Maybe a propane conversation.
But an older model to avoid computers.

Propane will age fine unlike diesel and especially gasoline.

posted on Feb, 23 2019 @ 09:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

That's a great idea Propane , or methane is easily made out of animal waste and makes great fuel, wood gas is a good idea for running a larger vehicle , the whole of Frances domestic fleet was running on it during the second world war.

posted on Feb, 23 2019 @ 09:52 PM
link   
Wood Gas conversion has always interested me.

Wood Gas Generator: Run Your Truck on Firewood!

Wood gas, or wood gasification, is a decades-old renewable energy technology that converts chunks of firewood, wood chips or other cellulosic biomass to charcoal, volatile and combustible gases, and occasionally, combustible liquids.

posted on Feb, 23 2019 @ 09:55 PM
link   

edit on 23-2-2019 by all2human because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2019 @ 09:55 PM
link   
a reply to: pheonix358

They have come a long way
Mind you he is on a Yamaha

posted on Feb, 23 2019 @ 10:05 PM
link   

Question,

Do you have a pre-planned base camp to bug out to? (family in the boonies, stash of supplies at a cabin, etc.)

If not, get something to run to or you and your family are now refugees.

Essential Information:

If You Have to Bug Out, Don’t Become a Refugee
preparednessadvice.com...

Seven Reasons Your Bug-Out Will Fail
www.shtfblog.com...

13 Things You Need to Create a Bug-Out Base Camp
www.outdoorlife.com...

10 Disturbing SHTF Threats that most Preppers Haven’t Prepared For
offgridsurvival.com...

When Things Go South Or What To Expect When SHTF
thesurvivalmom.com...

11 Places to Avoid Going When SHTF
www.survivalsullivan.com...
edit on 23-2-2019 by infolurker because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2019 @ 10:09 PM
link   
If the SHTF, the safest place to be would be right here where I live. I am short of firewood, but I have trees and saws. We have plenty of food, and older vehicles to get around. But the problem is, it will be a Snow Hits The Finns event, like we are possibly getting fifteen to thirty more inches of snow in the next twenty four hours.

posted on Feb, 23 2019 @ 10:16 PM
link   
a reply to: all2human

Outside of the cities would be safe, backroads etc.

posted on Feb, 23 2019 @ 10:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: anonentity
a reply to: all2human

Outside of the cities would be safe, backroads etc.

I tend to agree.
edit on 23-2-2019 by AtlasHawk because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2019 @ 10:36 PM
link   

Horses.

posted on Feb, 23 2019 @ 10:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
If the SHTF, the safest place to be would be right here where I live. I am short of firewood, but I have trees and saws. We have plenty of food, and older vehicles to get around. But the problem is, it will be a Snow Hits The Finns event, like we are possibly getting fifteen to thirty more inches of snow in the next twenty four hours.

We would shelter in place as well... we have livestock, reliable fresh water and we are in an isolated area.

Our biggest bug-out fear, is forest fire.

We have had more than 3 feet of snow, over the past 3 weeks. No big deal, it's north Idaho. Brutal cold? No big deal, it's north Idaho.

Fire season, however... I get downright twitchy. We have been lucky, thus far... but every summer brings that possibility...

posted on Feb, 23 2019 @ 11:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: madmac5150

originally posted by: rickymouse

We would shelter in place as well... we have livestock, reliable fresh water and we are in an isolated area.

Our biggest bug-out fear, is forest fire.

We have had more than 3 feet of snow, over the past 3 weeks. No big deal, it's north Idaho. Brutal cold? No big deal, it's north Idaho.

Fire season, however... I get downright twitchy. We have been lucky, thus far... but every summer brings that possibility...
Yeah, I have a bunch of trees on my land, some of the White pines are about a hundred twenty five feet tall. There is no preparing for a forest fire, especially if it is really dry out in the summer. We do have strict burning bans here but the stupid state made fireworks legal, so people are using them a lot in the summer now. I think it was a mistake to do that.

posted on Feb, 23 2019 @ 11:03 PM
link   
I personally think your best bet is your own two feet. They are something you can rely on and trust to never let you down. Even in injury, the human body can endure way more than a car can.

Sure, it might not be as fast, but in a survival situation, reliability is more important. A good knife and a little knowledge of your environment can lead you to salvation. No need for a vehicle, in my opinion, vehicles just make you a target.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join