It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Missile Launcher Installed in D.C. Suburb!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 11:40 AM
link   
Best I can figure, the deployment is a part of Operation Clear Skies.
This is a series of planned military exercises started after 9-11 and is still to this day continuing. My friend's wife is in the NG, and her company is on a year long deployment to DC as a part of Clear Skies.

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 11:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Pyros
The launcher depicted in the link is a Patriot launcher, so the number of missiles should be four, not six.

Just because there is a launcher there, doesn't mean that a) there are any missiles actually in the launcher, and b) that the system is operational.

I used to have one of those things parked 50 yards outside my office, across the street in a small parking lot near the company motor pool. They would haul it out for airshows, displays, and to impress visitors. No biggie.

lol
There are no air shows where it's at. And tourist aren't allowed. So it's not for display. Who would they want to impress?

I know for a fact though that it's operational with missles.

Even in the article...

The six non-nuclear missiles in the launcher could ``counter an inbound threat.''

As far as the 6 vs. 4
It's usually mobile patriot batteries that have 4.

In fact
science.howstuffworks.com...
"Since a Patriot missile battery can have up to 16 launchers....."

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 01:21 PM
link   
well just so we can see

Its a Patriot....!

[edit on 1-3-2005 by edsinger]

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 08:00 PM
link   
This are surface to air missiles and they are also located in other areas of the DC, buildings but you don't get to see them, they are called SAMS, but perhaps the one seen in the picture has a different name.

Now if is guarded it has probably cameras and sensor motions on it. But if is for show is empty.

But been inside a compound it should be a nearby radar and it will be definitely hot.

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 08:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
This are surface to air missiles and they are also located in other areas of the DC, buildings but you don't get to see them, they are called SAMS, but perhaps the one seen in the picture has a different name.

Now if is guarded it has probably cameras and sensor motions on it. But if is for show is empty.

But been inside a compound it should be a nearby radar and it will be definitely hot.

Yes Surface to Air Missile.......This one is from a patriot battery and the radar for it must be nearby but not necessarily in the open. The issue here is ManPads have been deployed for many years but a true SAM of this caliber (The best in the world if PAC3 imho) says that they are worried but I would doubt the next attack would be from the air anyway...

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join