It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Georges St Pierre Announces Retirement

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2019 @ 10:09 AM
link   

One of the all-time greats has officially retired.

Former UFC welterweight and middleweight champion Georges St-Pierre announced his retirement Thursday at a press conference at Bell Centre in Montreal.

“It takes a lot of discipline to become and stay champion. It also takes a lot of discipline to stop while still feeling that you’re in the best physical and mental shape of your life but I’ve always planned to leave the sport when I’m at the top and in good health"

Georges St Pierre Announces Retirement

26 - 2, UFC 2 Division World Champion
GSP is a legend in the world of combat sports, and it's terribly sad to see the available roster for potential future fights whittled away...
One has to respect the motivation, though.
The examples of Bisping's permanently damaged eye, or the punch-drunk slurrings of old boxing legends whose once sharp minds are now more akin to that of a bowl of room-temperature jelly.
Listen to Rush now on your podcast or channel of choosing and you'll easily notice how intact his mental faculties are.
Maybe it's for the best. AND THERE IS STILL HOPE
After all, if Silva or Mayweather can shed the retirement facade for a few million here or there, so can GSP, right?
Khabib vs GSP would finally settle the question of who is the true GOAT of this generation.
And if George won, imagine a 3 Division Champion!
One can dream...
STAY ASTONISHED
edit on 23-2-2019 by ADAMandEVIL because: ETA: fix

posted on Feb, 23 2019 @ 10:21 AM
link   
a reply to: ADAMandEVIL

Big fan of GSP in his early UFC fights — when he was clearly ‘on the gear’ (I don’t hate the player, I hate the game) — but he was a lay-n-pray and point fighter once Firas and Jackson got into his head. Before the Bisping farce, I couldn’t tell you the last finish he had...

Another thing that endeared me to GSP: G SP and Missing Time: Aliens, Head Trauma or Something Else?

posted on May, 11 2019 @ 05:53 PM
link   
I thought he was awesome as Batroc in Captain America, Winter Soldier.

posted on Jun, 24 2019 @ 04:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: BeefNoMeat
a reply to: ADAMandEVIL

Big fan of GSP in his early UFC fights — when he was clearly ‘on the gear’ (I don’t hate the player, I hate the game) — but he was a lay-n-pray and point fighter once Firas and Jackson got into his head. Before the Bisping farce, I couldn’t tell you the last finish he had...

Another thing that endeared me to GSP: G SP and Missing Time: Aliens, Head Trauma or Something Else?

During that time of his career he was fighting guys who were never stopped.
So him not finishing opponents isnt that big of deal since he was always fighting high ranked guys.

And his wresting and ability to control was impressive

top topics

join