It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Compound in the Feverfew Plant may combat Leukemia

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 28 2005 @ 10:10 PM
link   
A chemical, parthenolide, found in the the Feverfew plant, may one day target leukemia without any side effects. Tests have indicated that exposure to the chemical killed leukemia stem cells without causing any damage to normal cells. The Feverfew plant has been used for medicine since the Romans and is still used today for headaches and migraines.

Read the entire story.

The chemical is called parthenolide. It's the active ingredient of the feverfew plant -- also called bachelor's button --- and is common in North America. The feverfew plant has been used for centuries as an herbal medicine for migraine and rheumatoid arthritis, write the researchers, who included Monica Guzman, PhD, of the University of Rochester Medical School.

So far, parthenolide has shown promise in lab tests on human cells. Guzman and colleagues found that 18 hours of exposure to parthenolide killed leukemia stem cells -- which give rise to leukemia cancer cells -- without harming normal, healthy blood cells.

"Thus, not only is parthenolide a potent anti-leukemia agent, it has no significant toxicity to normal cells at the concentrations tested," write the researchers in the online edition of the journal Blood.

I think this is great, given the fact that both my parents have succumbed to cancer and it may be in my genes to develope it one day.

Here's what it looks like.

Another link.

[edit on 28/2/05 by Intelearthling]

posted on Feb, 28 2005 @ 11:14 PM
link   
Great find, hopefully it will help people, I think it's a mistake for cancer patients to totally rely on Western Medicine alone, I think the combination of conventional treatments, as well as alternative, such as treatment with Vitamins, Minerals, Herbs, acupuncture, etc. would produce much greater results in healing, for any illness. I myself have been interested in homeopathy for years &have used many nutritional supplements for common illnesses (Colds, Flu) &experienced great results....

posted on Feb, 28 2005 @ 11:39 PM
link   
Fascinating ..Feverfew is great.

The Golden feverfew which is the more yellow leaved of the species is the plant with the most medicinal value but I grow both. They are also known as a crysanthanum daisy.

They grow lots of foliage and just after flowering is the best time to harvest the foliage for use.

I used to dry it out and roll it up in cigarettes for my mother who has cancer, she is still alive ten years later.

I also make a tinture up for those with migraines or arthritis

stuff a dark glass jar with golden feverfew, squeeze as much swamp pennywort or arthritis herb on top then pour in ethanol or as pure alcohol as you can manage to cover the foliage.
Pop the lid on and shake. you will notice the mixture going green straight away. Put the jar away in a dark cupboard for around two weeks shaking every second day.

After the two weeks strain the green liquid into a bottle.

To ingest I usually recommend people take it straight on a spoon, as you swallow it the alcohol opens up the pores and the herb infuses straight in but for many this method is horridly too much so i recommend a spoonful a day in a glass of orange juice.
you can further cook the mixture to remove the alcohol but I find it works better at this point.......

* I have had many people come and tell me that as well as clearing headaches and arthritis up straight away, it also removes much mucos from the chest and clears the nasal passages up.

My mum always smoked a feverfew cigarette to help her with her chemo and stuff.....

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 04:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mayet
I used to dry it out and roll it up in cigarettes for my mother who has cancer, she is still alive ten years later.

My mum always smoked a feverfew cigarette to help her with her chemo and stuff.....

I would've quoted your entire post because of it's value, but the policies don't allow it.

BTW, I hope your mother pulls through this sickness and thanks for the recipe on the tincture.

P.S. There's a special on tonight of a little girl who succumbed to leukemia, and her dying wish was for all the children of the Make-A-Wish Foundation to have their wishes granted.

How selfless can one ever be? You know her soul is comforted by Our Loving Creator now.

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 06:36 PM
link   

Above the golden feverfew variety

Below the standard more greener leaved variety

also seems it has some benifits for breast cancer patients too...

mct.aacrjournals.org...

[edit on 1-3-2005 by Mayet]

new topics

top topics

join