It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Storm ‘bombing out’ over Great Lakes---MI WI IN OH NY PA IL Ontario-CA and more

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2019 @ 12:00 PM
link   
Damaging wind speed timeline shows when you will have highest gusts at your location

IMHO, this guys website is the best for forecasting the Michigan area.
He's based out of the southwest side of the state, but when there are storms, he covers the entire state.

Beaufort Wind Scale
marinewaypoints.com...
en.wikipedia.org...
edit on Sat Feb 23 2019 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2019 @ 12:07 PM
link   
Here in Western Kentucky we are expected to get heavy rain/thunderstorms/tornado's.....

The ground is so heavily saturated here that any high winds will cause trees to come down.

Looks to be a fun Saturday.

posted on Feb, 23 2019 @ 01:21 PM
link   
a reply to: DontTreadOnMe

Thank-you! I see he has Chicago covered too. The quick freeze followed by high wind is what I worry about. When that happened 2 weeks ago, a big branch snapped off a neighbor's tree and fell into our backyard. You could hear the larger trees "creaking" on the inside, because they couldn't sway with the wind. Frozen solid.

posted on Feb, 23 2019 @ 02:42 PM
link   

Southwest Mi here and formerly from the thumb are where Mark Torregrossa worked at channel 5 in Saginaw. His buddy and former co worker is the chief Meteorologist Mike Hoffman is in South Bend IN. They have a lot of experience in great lakes weather and it shows because it's like no other place in the world.

We came home early to lock things down we're right on Lake Michigan

posted on Feb, 23 2019 @ 05:45 PM
link   
Blizzard Warning now for 25 counties in Lower Michigan

And looking at the national map for this storm.....watch boxes cover more than half the country with all kinds of severe weather.

High Wind Watch now upgraded to High Wind Warning

posted on Feb, 23 2019 @ 05:49 PM
link   

What are you Haarping on about?

Pretty much business as usual around these parts.

posted on Feb, 23 2019 @ 05:53 PM
link   
a reply to: JinMI

Really?
EEK!
50-60 MPH gusts?

We don't get winds like what is forecast often.
We've moved to a place without overhead wires...and granted overhear wires bring the power to us....but there are no trees in the way....and this is the first wind storm to occur since we have moved.

posted on Feb, 23 2019 @ 05:57 PM
link   
Talked with my father, he says it's really blowing hard and snowing out there. They're on the edge of it in Kansas. They live in the country and he says they can't see the north road which is very close under a half mile away.

**EDIT**

He also said the weather turned very fast.

During the course of a televised basketball game it went from rain to blizzard. That's around 3 hours. So you have little warning. If you know it's coming, don't expect that you have plenty of time to get a few things done and them get home. This thing can go from 0 to 60 on you.
edit on 23-2-2019 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2019 @ 05:59 PM
link   

Less worried about the wind and more the ice if we get any along with it.

It could be folly but usually tune out when the news amps up the whetheric.

posted on Feb, 23 2019 @ 06:02 PM
link   
a reply to: JinMI

Well, with a storm of this large an area, not much you can do.
And where would you go???

Charge all devices and lights.
Have food....and water....and blankets.
Full tank of gas.

Most concerned that the high on Monday is 25.
We're not supposed to get any ice.

posted on Feb, 23 2019 @ 06:09 PM
link   

I had the back porch cleared two feet up on the roof. But got up this morning got the ladder out and cleaned the whole thing off. I almost would rather climb up on the roof and clean it than use a snow rack. It comes off in nice big chuncks. I heard we were to get another foot of snow and didnt want to take any chances.

posted on Feb, 23 2019 @ 06:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Tarzan the apeman.
That sounded like a great idea.
Kudos to those who can get up on roofs and do that!

The longer snow is up there, the more compacted and heavy it gets....

I hope you don't get as much as they forecast.

posted on Feb, 23 2019 @ 06:29 PM
link   
Michiganders are generous people, so speaking for all of us, I'd say sharing more that 50% of this storm with Ohio is only right.
edit on 23-2-2019 by Realtruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2019 @ 06:34 PM
link   

It is good for the snowmobilers and people who make there living off of snow. I know they really haven't had much snow here for the last few years. So it's a love-hate thing. Some people love it some hate it. People who plow snow call it pennies from heaven. I'm somewhere in the middle.

posted on Feb, 23 2019 @ 06:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: JinMI

Less worried about the wind and more the ice if we get any along with it.

It could be folly but usually tune out when the news amps up the whetheric.

Eh, I'm not all THAT worried about the power going out. BTDT a lot with the weather in FL over the years, it's a hell of a lot easier to keep warm in a power outage up here than to keep cool in one in FL.

Our wood pile's at the ready, the fireplace can be made to churn out enough heat for everyone and the animals if we have to hunker in the living room for any length of time. Plus, if need be it, we can manually light the stove (gas stove) to cook, or even fire up the grill if anyone's feeling bold.

The only thing I'm actually worried about is a tree falling on the house. The house is surrounded by maples, oaks, walnuts and spruces. I love how wooded it is on the property, but it could potentially bite us in the ass if one of them falls in the wrong direction.

posted on Feb, 24 2019 @ 04:23 AM
link   
Rain here in Oregon is like teaspoon sized drops. Blackest clouds I seen in a while. Been raining for hours. Where is all this water coming from?

posted on Feb, 24 2019 @ 04:37 AM
link   
Just kicking in here in southwest Michigan. Still good here an outage about 10 mikes north, The worst I've seen was 27k people without power a few weeks ago.

Power Outage Nap

WHOLE STATE MAP
edit on 24-2-2019 by mikell because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2019 @ 05:36 AM
link   
At least 1100 out in Southeast MI at 6:30 AM

outagemap.indianamichiganpower.com.s3.amazonaws.com...

posted on Feb, 24 2019 @ 07:05 AM
link   
a reply to: mikell

That whole state map is very cool!!!!!
Thanks!

I really hope the weather guys are hyping this!!!!
During the March 2017 wind storm, a million customers lost power between Edison and Consumers.
edit on Sun Feb 24 2019 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2019 @ 08:04 AM
link   

Not sure of the accuracy of the state map but go to the power companies and they all seem to have good outage maps

Mike
5,000 out a few north and a few east the ones south are usually out at the slightest breeze

edit on 24-2-2019 by mikell because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join