It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US Navy Files for Patent On Room-temperature Superconductor

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+8 more 
posted on Feb, 22 2019 @ 01:53 PM
link   

A scientist working for the U.S. Navy has filed for a patent on a room-temperature superconductor, representing a potential paradigm shift in energy transmission and computer systems.

The application claims that a room-temperature superconductor can be built using a wire with an insulator core and an aluminum PZT (lead zirconate titanate) coating deposited by vacuum evaporation with a thickness of the London penetration depth and polarized after deposition.

An electromagnetic coil is circumferentially positioned around the coating such that when the coil is activated with a pulsed current, a non-linear vibration is induced, enabling room temperature superconductivity.

phys.org, Feb 22, 2019 - Navy files for patent on room-temperature superconductor.

Patent: Piezo-electricity Induced Room Temperature Superconductor.pdf ("RTSC" in doc)

In superconductors, the London penetration depth (usually denoted as [λ Lambda] characterizes the distance to which a magnetic field penetrates into a superconductor and becomes equal to e−1 times that of the magnetic field at the surface of the superconductor. Typical values of λ L range from 50 to 500 nm.

Source: Wikipedia.

The article also states: No data was included in the patent documents.

Interesting! An insulator on the inside with a coating on the outside (CVD where particles are deposited under vacuum), and can be any suitable material that can induce the piezo electric effect (PZE). The magnetic coil surrounding the wire induces PZE in the material which, according to the patent, is around 50 - 500 nanometers. Once vibrating, the electrons flow with no resistance!! At room temperature (~ 300 K, or, ~ 74 °F/23 °C)!!

As a certain member here will point out, "Does it work"?? Because you have a patent on something does not mean that it actually functions, just that you paid the fee and put your good name on some idea.

But the whole point is... IT IS A RTSC!!!

If this actually does work, and is implemented, then the entire grid distribution (aka, "The Grid"), will go that way! Right now, up to 10% of the electricity being shoved down the line is lost due to resistance (which means "radiated as heat"), and this would solve all of that!

H3ll yeah this is cool news!!!

As I have stated before. In order to bring a nuclear fusion power supply on-line you will need better power distribution and a method to store the electricity. A RTSC Grid and Vanadium Redox Flow Batteries fit the bill. Bring on the Lockheed Skunkworks T-X compact fusion reactor!!

posted on Feb, 22 2019 @ 02:00 PM
link   
a reply to: TEOTWAWKIAIFF

I didn’t understand much of what you explained, but sounds like a freagin’ great news, so yay!!!!!!

S+F!

posted on Feb, 22 2019 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Physics is a lot like religion; you either got it (the faith) or you don't.

posted on Feb, 22 2019 @ 02:20 PM
link   
a reply to: vinifalou

Piezo Electric Effect takes a physical vibrations, like an acoustic guitar string, and due to the pressure of the string down on the bridge, the little crystal pick-up generates a tiny electric current. You connect that up a guitar amplifier and you get amplified acoustic guitar! That is all the PZE does, convert vibration to current.

In this case, they are using a magnetic current to start the PZE in the lead zirconate titanate coating. They are not trying to get the thing to a guitar amplifier or even use that vibration, but what the claim is, that the current passed through the vibrating coating does not meet any resistance.

a reply to: TonyS

Do I have to go to church on Sundays??

posted on Feb, 22 2019 @ 02:26 PM
link   
Nice find.

I have my doubts about how much actual current it could carry, even if it works, but it would be a huge breakthrough for a wide array of applications.

posted on Feb, 22 2019 @ 02:35 PM
link   

Church? If you believe in Physics?

Hell no guy, you go to the Physics lab and watch shows by Bill Nye, the Science Guy!

posted on Feb, 22 2019 @ 02:49 PM
link   
a reply to: TonyS

If you had thought past the "fast witty" [kinda] reply and actually thought about it you could have taken your idea bit further "out there" and get ATS "back to the good ol' days."

At the site of Teotihuacan, north of Mexico City, slabs of mica approximately 20 feet square were found as flooring on several of the terraces of the stepped Pyramid of the Sun. These were taken away as valuable minerals in the last century. But at least one site still exists along the Avenue of the Dead—the “main street” of the Teotihuacan complex—with a similar-sized floor area comprised of one large slab of mica, some 12 inches thick.

Some researchers state flatly that the Teotihuacan mica was imported all the way from Brazil, others that it came from nearby mines in Mexico. A straightforward mineralogical analysis should solve that issue quite quickly, but why the ancients would have brought large quantities of mica to this site, for what purpose, has remained a mystery. Without any proof whatsoever, some imaginative writers have speculated that mica’s electrical insulation powers, which are used in modern electronics, are somehow related to an ancient electronic application. Or that its resistance to temperature could have provided protection from alien rocket blasts.

atlantisrisingmagazine.com, Mexico’s Mysterious Mica.

Weird that Mexico's pyramids also contains a mineral that can also be used as a piezo-electric generator. Then you could have added the mention of mercury also being found in pools under the same pyramids.

Add in some lateral thinking and you could have pondered about "Wonder what religion was being practiced in Mexico where PZE minerals and mercury were being used? Perhaps everything old is new again!"

Now that would have been a worthy reply!!

Did the ancients have RTSC/pyramid power? IDK. It is just a thought provoking idea. And it may be a (re)discovery of ancient technology but put in the modern terms.

Can I get an "Amen!"???

posted on Feb, 22 2019 @ 02:52 PM
link   
Let's just say that I am not surprised they are doing this with piezoelectric elements.

The problem I see is the amount of current load on a piezoelectric element is directly proportional to the amount of pressure exerted on the piezoelectric element. In this case that "pressure" is a vibration frequency. These piezos would have to have a MASSIVELY high D33 resonance frequency.

posted on Feb, 22 2019 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Amen to that brother!

posted on Feb, 22 2019 @ 03:00 PM
link   
I wonder what the stress level was coupled with the intensity of the pulsed current?

If we could figure out, based on the design of the piezo-superconductor, then we might actually be able to mine some data from this paper.

edit on 22 2 19 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2019 @ 03:47 PM
link   
a reply to: projectvxn

The patent is just diagrams and explanations so that information is not included (driving current, hertz, etc.).

It does mention that this is "disruptive technology" so there is some thought that has gone into the implications.

ETA: He used the term "abruptly pulse" which to me sounds like you kick-start the SC part and then it keeps on going (just a guess). I suppose it can be a timing thing where the magnetic coil is "tuned" to the current's amplitude too.
edit on 22-2-2019 by TEOTWAWKIAIFF because: tag on reply

posted on Feb, 22 2019 @ 04:13 PM
link   

Salvatore Cezar Pais is listed as the inventor on the Navy's patent application made public by the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office on Thursday.

The application claims that a room-temperature superconductor can be built using a wire with an insulator core and an aluminum PZT (lead zirconate titanate) coating deposited by vacuum evaporation with a thickness of the London penetration depth and polarized after deposition.

An electromagnetic coil is circumferentially positioned around the coating such that when the coil is activated with a pulsed current, a non-linear vibration is induced, enabling room temperature superconductivity.

EurekAlert.org - Navy files for patent on room-temperature superconductor.

There is a different explanation than the OP news above (in case OP was a bit obtuse!)

The PZT is "polarized" after depositing the coating. That might be key (to what level, how long, etc).

After reading the patent, it said it was filed in 2017. I double checked the date and this story is hours old (old googs says this thread is the 3rd return!). Then this version of the story spells it out, "released to the public on Thursday."

Which means they probably figured out how to make the stuff! Those Office of Naval Research guys are no slouches!!

posted on Feb, 22 2019 @ 04:38 PM
link   

A high frequency gravitational wave generator including a gas filled shell with an outer shell surface, microwave emitters, sound generators, and acoustic vibration resonant gas-filled cavities. The outer shell surface is electrically charged and vibrated by the microwave emitters to generate a first electromagnetic field. The acoustic vibration resonant gas-filled cavities each have a cavity surface that can be electrically charged and vibrated by acoustic energy from the sound generators such that a second electromagnetic field is generated. The two acoustic vibration resonant gas-filled cavities are able to counter spin relative to each other to provide stability, and propagating gravitational field fluctuations are generated when the second electromagnetic field propagates through the first electromagnetic field.

freepatentsonline.com - High Frequency Gravitational Wave Generator.

As a lark, decided to see who the patent filer was (did he go University, which one, what was his field of study, verify the guy knows what he is doing/talking about, etc.), and came across this crazy sounding patent!!

Gravitational Wave Generator!!!!????!!!!

Wha???!

Either this is a complete whack job and were being trolled (which I hope is not the case). Or this is some crazy inventor who really, really, really, wants a spaceship!!

At least that is what I take away from that description.

Also reminds of "He who shall not be named" explaining how the black triangles stir "the fluid" around the craft's shell. Hum?...

posted on Feb, 22 2019 @ 05:03 PM
link   

Oh MY!!!

In other words, inertial mass reduction can be achieved via manipulation of quantum field fluctuations in the local vacuum energy state, in the immediate proximity of the object/system. Therefore it is possible to reduce a craft's inertia, that is, its resistance to motion/acceleration by polarizing the vacuum in the close proximity of the moving craft.

Polarization of the local vacuum is analogous to manipulation/modification of the local space tie topological lattice energy density. As a result, extreme speeds can be achieved.

Patents.google.com, US10144532B2 - Craft using an inertial mass reduction device.

Whelp, there you go! This is from 2016 and is under his name (it is rather unique). From a little digging on google, he graduated from Case NW in 1991, and that would put him at 50/51-ish.

Looking at this particular patent, the very first drawing is of... a Triangle!! From the top, it is a triangle and from the front on view, there is a point (the nose) then it slopes upwards towards the end on four sides, kind of like an cie cream cone but flattened.

Again, when it comes to BBT the inertia is reduced so don't go "splat" against the back wall when you take off like a bat out of hell.

Is this the slow release?? Are BBT using inertial dampening, room temperature superconductors, and gravity wave manipulation??

What the h3ck is going on?!!!

(The patent needs BASSPLYR-level of techno speak as the very next line from the above excerpt begins with "Poynting vector" and "Quantum Vacuum Plasma" which I just all kind of refer to as "quantum magic" so as not to get bogged down in the details)

Congratulations, phys.org and google! Mind blown!!

posted on Feb, 22 2019 @ 05:05 PM
link   

It could be high current pulses in very short time constants.

posted on Feb, 22 2019 @ 05:33 PM
link   
a reply to: TEOT

One more. Because I just want to document that I am not making the shizz up!!

inderscience.com - Conditional possibility of spacecraft propulsion at superluminal speeds

Authors: Salvatore Cezar Pais

Addresses: Department of Defense/Department of the Navy, Naval Air Systems Command/NAWCAD, NAS Patuxent River, Maryland 20670, USA

Abstract: The concept at hand deals primarily with the application of the conditional replacement technique (CRT) (Pais, 1991) to Special Relativity Theory. It is observed that under certain physical conditions, the singularity expressed by the relativistic stretch factor 'gamma' as the spacecraft's speed (v) approaches the speed of light (c), is no longer present in the physical picture. This involves the instantaneous removal of energy-mass from the system (spacecraft) when the spacecraft's speed reaches v = c/2. Hence under such conditions, faster than light spacecraft propulsion, is feasible. The original concept at hand does not violate the Special Theory of Relativity, it rather builds on its foundations.

See!

It all fits together! The guy built a spaceship that can travel close to the speed of light by reducing the inertial mass of the craft when you get half way there. Poof! Off like a rubber band which to us inertial frame, mouth breathers, would look like "warp drive."

That was 2015!!

The "Belgium Wave" of UFO sightings, which were described as "big, black triangles" and where we get the generic term from, started in 1990. If that was US Navy/Black project stuff back then...

Do we really have 30 years of experience flying "UFOs"??? A lot changes in 30 years. Just sayin'.

Anyway, RTSC is still cool and projectvxn, haven't seen or found the numbers (kind of got sidetracked by this rabbit hole I fell into!). But as the mind numbs a bit after applying more coffee, I will start that search and leave the FTL spaceship stuff alone for a bit!

posted on Feb, 22 2019 @ 08:53 PM
link   

Cool, game changer as the technology matures we may eventually also see super conducting component's.
Also superconductors are a key ingredient in harvesting our planets natural magnetic field for our own use converting it into electricity through inductance, super conducting antenna's would be far more sensitive to radio frequency induction as well.
I hope this technology become's available to the public but if the US military has patented it then that is a good bet they have had it for decades now, perhaps they found the Chinese had nicked there data on it and decided to head them off at the pass so that the Chinese could not capitalize on it even if they can still use what they have stolen in there own project's - which are mostly rip off's of western design's and theory's these day's.

posted on Feb, 22 2019 @ 09:18 PM
link   
a reply to: LABTECH767

It seems like it would be easier to construct this at the nanoscale of chip manufacturing than the bulk cable scale. At least in theory.

And the China angle... didn’t think of that! Thanks!

Makes you wonder about the rail gun stuff!!

One thing I was pondering, normal SC get “better” when cooled below their Tc. I wonder if this might be the same?? You know, dry ice temps instead of liquid helium.

Just spitballing...

posted on Feb, 23 2019 @ 07:35 AM
link   
Sounds pretty far-fetched. I don't get excited about any scientific break-thrus until I see some proof that it actually works. Everything works out great in someone's fantasies....

I have an idea about how to turn a lawnmower into a hovercraft by fueling it with deep-fried Snickers bars. Who needs proof when you have the USPTO and the Internet.

posted on Feb, 23 2019 @ 02:50 PM
link   

Teot....you are on the right track. just keep hitting up those related patents then add them together.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join