It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Jersey Lawmakers Are Trying to Tax the Rain

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 22 2019 @ 01:10 AM
link   
When I read articles like this I am so glad I have dropped out of what some assume is a civilized society where the government can tax just about anything.

There have been many stories about not being able to collect the rain water that falls upon your own property or or a myriad of stories where good ole Nanny government will tell you how and where you can live.. I prefer to not put up with their well intentioned nice sounding schemes of just getting more money they can waste.

Bill S-1073 seeks to penalize businesses and homeowners whose property contains paved surfaces, like a driveway or a parking lot. When it rains, the rain acts as a medium, transporting any pollutants it picks up from paved surfaces, like brine and rock salt, and then depositing it into sewers and drains. And since the pollutants are thought to have originated from paved surfaces, the state has determined that property owners are responsible for any negative environmental impacts that result therein and should be penalized accordingly.

The legislation itself does not actually allow the state to collect any taxes, however. Instead, it allows each of its 565 different municipalities to create their own stormwater utility systems to minimize the runoff problem. Each locality will then charge each homeowner and business based on what the bill calls “a fair and equitable approximation” of how much runoff is generated from their property.

The legislation states:

Under the bill, a county, municipality, or authority (local unit) that establishes a stormwater utility is authorized to charge and collect reasonable fees and other charges to recover the stormwater utility’s costs for stormwater management.

New Jersey is currently one of the most heavily taxed states in the country. And yet, it is going to burden its residents even further with the passing of this bill. According to the EPA, it will cost the state of New Jersey $15.6 billion to upgrade its storm drain system. However, the cost to Garden State taxpayers could end up being significantly higher.

Even if you do not live in New Jersey but have a connecting flight through Newark international airport you will probably pay more for your ticket as the airport will have higher landing fees for the airlines unless the airport is exempt..
www.activistpost.com...

posted on Feb, 22 2019 @ 04:48 AM
link   
a reply to: 727Sky

Won't be long when you'll be taxed on the amount of sh!t (poop, condoms,tampons and Kleenex) you flush down your toilet, because of the cost of treating the fecal milkshake that comes from your home or business.

posted on Feb, 22 2019 @ 07:49 AM
link   
What about the fact that the government puts down most of that salt, or forces people with businesses to put salt down for their customers.
Is the state paying taxes on all the salt that is spread out on the roads?
Just like flint Michigan charging people for the poison water they were forced to get.
WTF

posted on Feb, 22 2019 @ 09:13 AM
link   
Working in the water/waste industry my self it really does suck when people flush tampons and condoms they cause lots of problems. Peoples crap dosent just magically glide from your toilet to the lagoon or treatment plant. Kleenex and toilet paper are all that should ever be flushed that dosent come directly from your body.

I’ve had to hoist up and service sewer pumps literally 50+ times because of tampons,baby wipes, and those god damn abrasive Lysol cleaning wipes. Just one single one of these items has the potential to bind up even a sewer grinder pump.

The cost of flushing a single tampon on the system could be thousands of dollars no joke. Granted many times they cause no problem but they do have the potential to mess stuff up big time.

a reply to: shawmanfromny

posted on Feb, 22 2019 @ 06:23 PM
link   
To my understanding, unless you want to completely rip out your driveway and replace it with some other non paved, which will cost you a buttload, you will have to pay another boat load of money for the taxes if this goes into affect. And it's going to be almost 16 Billion to upgrade the systems. That money could go to other more useful things like education. So who wins here? Who is this made to help?

top topics

join